#161 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,435 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:58 PM

I hate wine and am touring Napa Valley this weekend. What kind of wine would you guys recommend for a non red/traditional wine person like myself?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#162 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,899 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:05 PM

I hate wine and am touring Napa Valley this weekend. What kind of wine would you guys recommend for a non red/traditional wine person like myself?

My wife was just out there last month.

She loved it. She told me, someone who doesn’t like wine, that I probably would have appreciated a lot of the history of some of the wineries.

However, she also said it wouldn’t have been exciting for me because of the wine..no beer anywhere. She loves wine but she is more of a white wine person and it was a lot of reds.

My guess is that you can probably do enough tasting to find something you like. I have personally never done it that way, so I can’t say for sure but I’m sure you would find something.

She went to a lot of Michelin Star restaurants out there too..said the food was awesome.
@BSLRobShields

#163 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

Pace yourself and hire a driver.

@fuzydunlop

#164 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:34 AM

Just try everything. Find something you do like. The scenery alone is worth the trip.

And try some tri-tip...there was a roadside BBQ joint (Buster's) next to where we stayed in Calistoga but we didn't have a chance to try any.

Also, try Addendum fried chicken. It's behind the main restaurant, Ad Hoc. It'll be crowded but the chicken is worth it.

• Ricker Says likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#165 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

I'll probably get killed for saying this, but it needs to be said:

Craft beer is overrated.

IPA's are overrated

• BSLRobShields and Dupin like this

#166 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

IPA's are overrated

Definitely agree with you there. I do like one every once in a while but they are overrated.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#167 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,899 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

IPA's are overrated

I have yet to have one I like.
@BSLRobShields

#168 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,126 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

I'm not a big fan of sours or wheat beers, but I will drink and enjoy pretty much everything else from the hoppiest IPA to the darkest dunkel to the lightest light beer. 

Been really into porters lately.

• DuffMan likes this

#169 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:52 AM

I'm not a big fan of sours or wheat beers, but I will drink and enjoy pretty much everything else from the hoppiest IPA to the darkest dunkel to the lightest light beer. 

Been really into porters lately.

Porter is a damn good style. I had a Founders Porter at Trivia a few weeks ago.  First porter I've had in a while, forgot how good that one is.

For the record I'm not averse to an IPA, but there's a big section of the craft beer crowd that views them as the end all be all. There's a guy at my work who likes craft beer, but only drinks IPA;s.  It's maddening,  anytime he tells me about a new brewery he visited or tried it's to talk about their IPA.  There's so much more out there

#170 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,038 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

IPAs are so much different than they used to be, at least in terms of the trendy version. We've gone from West Coast to New England / Hazy / Juicy IPAs. For those that think IPAs are too bitter, this should be a welcome change.

#171 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,556 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

Blue states get at least one thing right.

nHXDwlt.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#172 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:22 AM

IPAs are so much different than they used to be, at least in terms of the trendy version. We've gone from West Coast to New England / Hazy / Juicy IPAs. For those that think IPAs are too bitter, this should be a welcome change.

My wife has always hated IPAs when she's tried them. Now she's asking me if there are any cans of hazy or juicy left in the fridge. Total shift.

I get the IPA burnout for some people though.

@Bmore_Irish

#173 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,435 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:52 AM

Mike, what's the MD one #33?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#174 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

Mike, what's the MD one #33?

Flying Dog

https://www.brewersa...y-sales-volume/

That list is just based on sales by volume, so it's not necessarily a definitive list of the best breweries.  As many of the best don't brew as much as others.

Pretty impressive though to see New Glarus on there in the teens considering they only distribute in state, which is a real shame because their beers are fantastic

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#175 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,899 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

I had the Heavy Seas Tropicannon...the citrus in that killed some of the hoppiness but I still didn't like it that much.

@BSLRobShields

#176 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,038 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

I had the Heavy Seas Tropicannon...the citrus in that killed some of the hoppiness but I still didn't like it that much.

That beer isn't really in those categories I mentioned in terms of what's trendy for IPAs now.

#177 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,899 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:54 PM

People who commit identity theft should be publicly stoned. 

@BSLRobShields

#178 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,887 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

This has devolved into rants -- just like the pet peeves thread did.  Getting a crack in your windshield isn't a pet peeve, it's a rant.  A pet peeve is something like "someone who sneezes and sounds like a mouse"

"People who commit identity theft should be publicly stoned" isn't a hot take -- it's a rant.

FIGURE IT OUT PEOPLE 

• BSLChrisStoner, NewMarketSean, DJ MC and 1 other like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#179 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,887 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

Heard two good hot takes yesterday, courtesy of Nick Wright.

He said all the swimming records fell at the 2008 Olympics because the pool was too short.

He also said Phelps is overrated because he won most of his medals doing various distances of the same stroke.

THOSE are good hot takes. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#180 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,899 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:09 PM

This has devolved into rants -- just like the pet peeves thread did.  Getting a crack in your windshield isn't a pet peeve, it's a rant.  A pet peeve is something like "someone who sneezes and sounds like a mouse"

"People who commit identity theft should be publicly stoned" isn't a hot take -- it's a rant.

FIGURE IT OUT PEOPLE 

Yea I know.....but I don't give a fuck. (although the overly sensitive people on here probably don't think anyone should get stoned)

I guess I should have said this:

People who commit identity theft should have to listen to shitty music like Bruce Springsteen and the Beatles as part of their punishment

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners