#3 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

Nice article.

It's probably past time to move on from these two. Davis is clearly done and I don't think Trumbo will enhance his value very much by taking at bats from the likes of Nunez and Stewart.

The other thing is, Davis and Trumbo have no real ties to Elias. They are reminders of some poor management decisions that preceded his taking over the club. You're correct, there is more compelling reasons to jettison these two than to keep them.

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Cut bait with both of them and trade Mancini.
@BSLRobShields

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:09 PM

Cut bait with both of them and trade Mancini.

I agree with 2 of 3....could be talked into the third for a real good package.

I think Elias will do a lot better that Dan Thrift did last year.

@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:36 PM

I actually think they are close to making the move on Davis.
@mikeghg

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:06 PM

I wonder if they DFA Davis and keep Trumbo for at least a little bit to see if he can give them anything?

Personally, I am with Chris..just get rid of them.  They are dead weight.

The money is spent...at this point, the roster spot holds more value with some younger players pushing for the playing time now.

@BSLRobShields

#8 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:27 AM

I actually think they are close to making the move on Davis.

Me too. In the grand scheme of things, good play will bring the fans back and create the kind of return that will overcome any losses generated by the bad contract.
FWIW, I think Davis is done. It's clear that he is still fantastic athletically, but there is nothing to indicate that he can sustain the concentration level necessary to produce mentally.

The thing is, they really need to figure out how they are going to maximize the talent they have on hand, not to imply that they aren't already doing it. Nunez specifically needs to get serious reps at 1st and 3rd in practice to try to make him into a serviceable fielder. He's not a poor athlete. His arm actually grades out at a 60/60, and he was a positive rated defender in a short stint last year.

Trumbo OTOH is actually a good role model at this point for the young ones. He doesn't have the same issues that Davis has had to deal with, and he's a good model of mental approach to maximize your own personal talent in the majors.
  • Mike B likes this

#9 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:43 AM

If you're going to be losing a lot of games, at least evaluate for the future.  Davis and Trumbo aren't the future and they aren't going to add any wins now.  I never understood why they kept playing Davis game after game last year in the middle of the lineup.

• bmore_ken likes this

#10 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

The only reason Davis has remained on the roster is his contract.  Everyone knows that.  It's a tough pill to swallow but the Angelos clan are going to have to face the music and the sooner the better.  Davis just can't hit anymore for whatever reason.  Keeping him on the team is pointless other than seeing if he can break his own record of futility.   And Trumbo is basically the same thing, if not  slightly better.  Both are just wasting everyone's time and space.  

#11 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:07 AM

If you're going to be losing a lot of games, at least evaluate for the future.  Davis and Trumbo aren't the future and they aren't going to add any wins now.  I never understood why they kept playing Davis game after game last year in the middle of the lineup.

Because he was one of Buck's 'guys'.

• ivanbalt and russsnyder like this

#12 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:16 AM

Me too. In the grand scheme of things, good play will bring the fans back and create the kind of return that will overcome any losses generated by the bad contract.
FWIW, I think Davis is done. It's clear that he is still fantastic athletically, but there is nothing to indicate that he can sustain the concentration level necessary to produce mentally.

The thing is, they really need to figure out how they are going to maximize the talent they have on hand, not to imply that they aren't already doing it. Nunez specifically needs to get serious reps at 1st and 3rd in practice to try to make him into a serviceable fielder. He's not a poor athlete. His arm actually grades out at a 60/60, and he was a positive rated defender in a short stint last year.

Trumbo OTOH is actually a good role model at this point for the young ones. He doesn't have the same issues that Davis has had to deal with, and he's a good model of mental approach to maximize your own personal talent in the majors.

Davis can't hit, I think his lack of bat speed is a bigger issue than his lack of concentration at the plate.

The only reason that Nunez would not be getting practice reps at the infield corners would be that his arm injury is preventing it.

I think Trumbo taking at bats and playing time from others is more of an issue than him being some sort of team leader at this point. The leaders on this team will emerge, they don't need veteran dead weight like Trumbo to take at bats from the younger guys right now.

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

Time to let them both go. I was all for giving Davis the first half of this season to see if he could turn things around. He's had plenty of at bats to show he isn't going to, at least not here in Baltimore.

Trumbo isn't going to get enough at bats to really gain you anything in trade value and it just takes away time for younger players.

Mancini - I totally fail to get the trade him mentality. Unless you think he really can't hit like this for his career. If so then sure but I would rather extend him. He's good. He's a great kid. He's only 27. Even if you get what looks to be a great package for him its still going to be for prospects. Unless you have a pretty high expectation that one of them turns out to be as good or better and younger than Mancini I would stick with the proven talent.

• bmore_ken likes this

#14 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:40 PM

Time to let them both go. I was all for giving Davis the first half of this season to see if he could turn things around. He's had plenty of at bats to show he isn't going to, at least not here in Baltimore.

Trumbo isn't going to get enough at bats to really gain you anything in trade value and it just takes away time for younger players.

Mancini - I totally fail to get the trade him mentality. Unless you think he really can't hit like this for his career. If so then sure but I would rather extend him. He's good. He's a great kid. He's only 27. Even if you get what looks to be a great package for him its still going to be for prospects. Unless you have a pretty high expectation that one of them turns out to be as good or better and younger than Mancini I would stick with the proven talent.

I can't remember if I mentioned this, the last time this conversation came up. The reason I would trade Mancini, is because he's a 1B/DH type, and the O's have Mountcastle in the wings. He's probably going to take over that role, whenever the team decides to part ways with Davis. I'm confident that Trey will continue to be a solid bat. But he's best suited for the position at which the team is already well stocked, both now and in the immediate future. If he can be traded for a player(s) that fills a need, I say do it. If not, Mancini & Mountcastle filling the 1B & DH slots is good.    

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

Because he was one of Buck's 'guys'.

I avoided making this comment, but since you did, I'll give it a thumbs up. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

I can't remember if I mentioned this, the last time this conversation came up. The reason I would trade Mancini, is because he's a 1B/DH type, and the O's have Mountcastle in the wings. He's probably going to take over that role, whenever the team decides to part ways with Davis. I'm confident that Trey will continue to be a solid bat. But he's best suited for the position at which the team is already well stocked, both now and in the immediate future. If he can be traded for a player(s) that fills a need, I say do it. If not, Mancini & Mountcastle filling the 1B & DH slots is good.    

yes but Mancini can play 1B and LF plus DH. Right now Mountcastle can only DH. He's on what his third position, now he's working on 1B, and they are thinking of trying him in the OF.

That tells me that he is destined to be a mostly full time DH. He can't play defense at the MLB level.

• bmore_ken likes this

#17 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

Davis can't hit, I think his lack of bat speed is a bigger issue than his lack of concentration at the plate.

The only reason that Nunez would not be getting practice reps at the infield corners would be that his arm injury is preventing it.

I think Trumbo taking at bats and playing time from others is more of an issue than him being some sort of team leader at this point. The leaders on this team will emerge, they don't need veteran dead weight like Trumbo to take at bats from the younger guys right now.

His bat speed was fine when he had his hot streak.  Imo from observation, it's mental not physical. 

Didn't know that about Nunez. 

Agree about Trumbo, but who is he taking ABs away from if Davis is gone? If you bring up Mountcastle right now when he doesn't have a position, you're wrong.  Smith, Broxton, Mancini and Nunez should be able to work in and find playing time.  If not, then no big deal.  I'm not advocating for keeping Trumbo, just saying that he actually still has some value. 

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:48 PM

Historically speaking, 27 is your peak age.

He isn’t likely to be that good once we are contending, as he really isn’t much more than an all around average player.

Trade him while his value is high and acquire players that may be part of the future...and not commit a bunch of money to him.
@BSLRobShields

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

yes but Mancini can play 1B and LF plus DH. Right now Mountcastle can only DH. He's on what his third position, now he's working on 1B, and they are thinking of trying him in the OF.

That tells me that he is destined to be a mostly full time DH. He can't play defense at the MLB level.

Just because Mancini can stand at a position, doesn’t mean he can play it.

And we don’t know if Mountcastle can become a good first baseman yet.

Also, they may use DH and/or first to help rest Adley at times.
@BSLRobShields

#20 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

His bat speed was fine when he had his hot streak. Imo from observation, it's mental not physical.

Didn't know that about Nunez.

Agree about Trumbo, but who is he taking ABs away from if Davis is gone? If you bring up Mountcastle right now when he doesn't have a position, you're wrong. Smith, Broxton, Mancini and Nunez should be able to work in and find playing time. If not, then no big deal. I'm not advocating for keeping Trumbo, just saying that he actually still has some value.

I disagree, Davis is overmatched by major league pitching. It is evident in strikeout rate and lack of power. Save for the one hot streak, he hasn't hit like an average major league hitter for a couple of years.

Nunez had an arm injury in spring training IIRC. However, he is not a good defender. ( Especially at third.) Ruiz and Alberto are better defenders.

He could potentially take at bats from all those guys you list. I don't think he has a place on the team. I prefer to move on from both Davis and Trumbo at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners