#21 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

From the intro paragraph of my article. 

Ravens Organized Team Activities (OTAs) got underway on Monday. Today the media attended The Castle for the first time this year. Expect wild speculation and overreactions related to who showed up, who didn’t, and who made or missed plays in gym shorts.

Spot on. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

Back to the article...

Screen-Shot-2019-05-23-at-3.49.22-PM-800

I didn't include this part. But here are the Ravens numbers between 2015-2017

2015 - Pass: 4.1% (21)  Rush: -9.1% (18) Offense: -8.2% (22)

2016 - Pass: -0.8% (26) Rush: -8.5% (21) Offense: 0.1% (15)

2017 - Pass: -4.9% (26) Rush: 2.4% (7) Offense: -4.5% (24)

@BSLMikeRandall

#23 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:34 PM

Wow...this goes back to that whole intelligence conversation we were having.

There's a rule in the CBA which limits communication between coaches and players in the offseason.  He's likely just surprised by the amount of change in the offense -- which is a good thing in my mind.  Roman is not going to just warm over last year's offense, but is really going to tailor a new offense to Jackson's strengths.

#24 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

There's a rule in the CBA which limits communication between coaches and players in the offseason. He's likely just surprised by the amount of change in the offense -- which is a good thing in my mind. Roman is not going to just warm over last year's offense, but is really going to tailor a new offense to Jackson's strengths.

It's really a non story. Jackson is very open in the way he speaks and on top of that he's a true southern boy in dialogue. I wouldn't confuse that with a lack of intelligence though, especially football intelligence.
  • ravens82 likes this

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

It's really a non story. Jackson is very open in the way he speaks and on top of that he's a true southern boy in dialogue. I wouldn't confuse that with a lack of intelligence though, especially football intelligence.

There’s no confusion at all.

He does and says lots of dumb things and this is another example of that

That being said, as I have said many times, this doesn’t mean he isn’t smart between the lines nor does it mean he can’t play at a high level.

As someone who doesn’t think he will become a franchise QB, this doesn’t instill confidence in me that he can become way better though.
@BSLRobShields

#26 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

There's a rule in the CBA which limits communication between coaches and players in the offseason.  He's likely just surprised by the amount of change in the offense -- which is a good thing in my mind.  Roman is not going to just warm over last year's offense, but is really going to tailor a new offense to Jackson's strengths.

I would think this would be obvious to anyone who reads this board. To think this reflects on anyone's intelligence or competence is silly. There's degrees of change. Do they put in a few different plays or a few different formations, or do they change the entire offensive philosophy and terminology? Either is OK with me, as long as they make it work. For Lamar to feel a bit behind at this point is healthy IMO, he's got work to do. I'd be more concerned if he felt comfortable.

#27 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

It blew my mind that Jackson said that as well.  And I place the blame on both the organization and him.  I get that the CBA has rules for the amount of "official" contact but there are ways around that.  Anyone think Brady didn't know about offensive changes when Josh McDaniels left NE a few years back?  Or even from season to season with McDaniels.  I remember reading last offseason when Pittsburgh fired their OC that Roethlisberger not only had the playbook to study well in advance, but he also had input into it.  So I don't buy the CBA rules as an excuse.  Sounds a lot like the communication problems that frequently plague the Ravens on the sidelines.   As for Jackson, of course he should have expected major offensive changes.  Especially given the complaints that swirled around MM and the fact that a lot of people said the Chargers knew what was coming because the Ravens changed nothing from the first time they played.  Might have been nice if he had been a little proactive in contacting the organization when he found out there would be a new OC to find out some things in advance.   But seriously Jackson picking up a new offense would be the least of my concerns.  If he doesn't improve his awful mechanics and learn how to throw more accurately with consistency, it isn't going to matter what offense the Ravens try to run.  

#28 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:34 PM

Recent reports from limited media viewing is that his throws don't look very good. The whole wobble and accuracy issue. Which is what we've always seen from him. And which isn't in all likelihood going to go away suddenly. This narrative that he's a hard worker who will work tirelessly all off-season to become a legit NFL caliber thrower of the football is most likely just a lot of wishing.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

Recent reports from limited media viewing is that his throws don't look very good. The whole wobble and accuracy issue. Which is what we've always seen from him. And which isn't in all likelihood going to go away suddenly. This narrative that he's a hard worker who will work tirelessly all off-season to become a legit NFL caliber thrower of the football is most likely just a lot of wishing.

The reports I saw were the first day looked poor with the 2nd and 3rd improved.

#30 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:29 PM

So much hot air this time of year. Every season right about now, Joe Flacco “Looked better that ever” “Looks more muscular”

How did that go the last five years?
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:14 AM

People are funny.

That's all I have to say.

#32 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:16 AM

Was this a Fox Sports News Report?

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

The reports I saw were the first day looked poor with the 2nd and 3rd improved.

Yea...it’s been a mixed bag based off of what I have read.
@BSLRobShields

#34 BSLAdrianCharchalis

BSLAdrianCharchalis

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

Great article! Nice to learn the different, unique defensive looks and strategies teams employ versus Lamar Jackson. Hopefully this year's offense will continually keep teams on their toes. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#35 Steve55

Steve55
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Would like to see the O with Brown & Boykin in the lineup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners