BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,933 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

BSL: Greg Roman Installs Ravens Offense. Expect Emphasis on Passing Game

https://www.baltimor...s-passing-game/

Roman is more than just a run game guru. His pass game efficiency in his six years as an OC have been pretty good as well. Need that trend to continue as Roman lays the ground work with the new offense in OTAs.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:29 AM

I'm sticking with my numbers for Jackson in his 2nd season.

3000 yds passing
61% completions
21 tds passing
7 int
500 yds rushing

If Brown and Boykin pan out Jackson should develop into one of the more dynamic qbs in the game pretty quickly. I've always expected the offense to look a lot different from what we were forced to run last year with a raw Jackson out there and it sounds like Roman is moving in that direction.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

Ravens Wire: Lamar Jackson says he didn't know Ravens were installing new offense

https://ravenswire.u...ng-new-offense/

#4 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

Ravens Wire: Lamar Jackson says he didn't know Ravens were installing new offense

I saw that but I'm sure there's more to this story. It makes you wonder how much the team and the players talk in the off season even though they're supposed to have very little contact. At the end of the day it doesn't matter anyway because OTA's is when the schemes and plays start getting installed but it is somewhat shocking.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,972 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

Wow...this goes back to that whole intelligence conversation we were having.
@BSLRobShields

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Wow...this goes back to that whole intelligence conversation we were having.

It sounds like a failure to communicate from the Ravens Coaching staff. 

It's a failure somewhere.  

Either the staff didn't properly convey to Jackson the forthcoming changes, or they were conveyed and the message was not received by Jackson. 

Truth probably somewhat in the middle. 

Maybe a non-story in the scheme of things (as 85Knight said, installation of the offense will begin now)... but Jackson coming into the OTAs and being surprised by the changes is not a good thing imo.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

Getting back to Mike's article, I do expect something closer to a 50/50 split.   My guess is 55/45. 

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,972 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

It sounds like a failure to communicate from the Ravens Coaching staff.

It's a failure somewhere.

Either the staff didn't properly convey to Jackson the forthcoming changes, or they were conveyed and the message was not received by Jackson.

Truth probably somewhat in the middle.

Maybe a non-story in the scheme of things (as 85Knight said, installation of the offense will begin now)... but Jackson coming into the OTAs and being surprised by the changes is not a good thing imo.

Let’s say the Ravens coaching staff said nothing to him about a change.

But do they have to? Doesn’t common sense say, hey we have a new coordinator, maybe I should check in and see if things are different in any way?

I’m not saying the Ravens coaching staff is infallible here but come on, just normal deductive reasoning tells you something is going to be different.

Has a coordinator every been fired and the guy who replaces him runs the exact same thing as he did?

If that’s what you were going to do, why would you get rid of the original guy to begin with? Obviously you made a change because you want a change of some kind.

If I know and understand that, the damn QB should know that too.
  • cprenegade likes this
@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

One thing to note when comparing Jackson to Smith / Kaepernick / Taylor and the years that trio was under Roman.... is their ages and experience. 

Smith was 27 & 28, Kaepernick 25-27, Taylor 26-27.  All had a lot of additional professional experience and age over Jackson now.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

Let’s say the Ravens coaching staff said nothing to him about a change.

But do they have to? Doesn’t common sense say, hey we have a new coordinator, maybe I should check in and see if things are different in any way?

I’m not saying the Ravens coaching staff is infallible here but come on, just normal deductive reasoning tells you something is going to be different.

Has a coordinator every been fired and the guy who replaces him runs the exact same thing as he did?

If that’s what you were going to do, why would you get rid of the original guy to begin with? Obviously you made a change because you want a change of some kind.

If I know and understand that, the damn QB should know that too.

Yes, a new Coordinator is a change... and with that change, the next step would be asking what will those changes mean for me? 

Yes, the player should be inquiring. 

However, when you've committed to Jackson as your QB.... and you've made the change at OC.... it's the responsibility of the HC and OC to be seeking out their QB, and advising him of the forthcoming changes.  That's also common sense. 

And if there is an issue here, it's falls more on the Coaching staff than it does with Jackson. 

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,743 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

Complete nonstory, IMO.

I think Lamar's spoken words in front of cameras are frequently not representative of what's actually going on in his head.  It's not that he's just spouting cliches, but he talks off the cuff and I don't think it's accurate to treat every word or sentence as if it was pored over and carefully groomed to have a precise meaning.

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, BSLMikeRandall and 1 other like this

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,972 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

It’s common sense on both sides. Lamar not knowing to ask is another check mark in the “he doesn’t seem to be that smart” column.

The Ravens not informing him is a check mark in a similar column.

It’s a really bad look for both.

@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

445 passing attempts over 16 games would equal 28 attempts per game. 

That feels like more than I expect. 

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,365 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

I'm sticking with my numbers for Jackson in his 2nd season.

3000 yds passing
61% completions
21 tds passing
7 int
500 yds rushing

If Brown and Boykin pan out Jackson should develop into one of the more dynamic qbs in the game pretty quickly. I've always expected the offense to look a lot different from what we were forced to run last year with a raw Jackson out there and it sounds like Roman is moving in that direction.

Sign me up for that.

I think you are light on the rushing though.

@mikeghg

#15 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

I'll wait to see what Harbaugh says about this because it could be completely normal that changes aren't presented to the team until OTA's start. I'm sure Jackson was expecting some changes but he wasn't privy to the whole offense being overhauled with terminology as well as schemes. This all might be completely normal and at the end of the day it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

#16 85Knight

85Knight
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

Sign me up for that.
I think you are light on the rushing though.

Yeah that's a little bit of wishful thinking but I hope it's no more than 600.

#17 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,933 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

It's not like they are changing systems like when Flacco went from Cameron/Caldwell to Kubiak. Where the verbiage is completely different. That'd be a different story.  

I'd say that isn't changing. There are only so many route combinations, so he's probably already familiar with that. But some new formations make it into the book, but again, the route combinations could be the same thing he's already seen, just being run from different positions on the line.  That's something a QB can pick up relatively quickly. And it'll be on him to study it away from the practice field which given what we've heard about his work ethic this offseason, that won't be a problem. 

Besides. The rules are strict when it comes to communication in the offseason with coaches and players. Even if Jackson did know, whats he supposed to do before day one of OTAs? It's not like when the Ravens hired Kubiak he sent Joe Flacco his playbook in February and said "learn this by OTAs". Flacco started learning the really new offense and a brand new language the same day as everyone else. 

Non story.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#18 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,025 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

Lamar admitting he's having trouble throwing the ball.

https://www.rotoworl...altimore-ravens

Doesn't sound good. Hope they get him figured out.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

Some extended quotes here in a Sun article... both on the new offense, and Jackson's throwing the last few days (by his account poor Day 1, better Day 2, better again Day 3)... 

https://www.baltimor...0523-story.html

#20 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,933 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

On Jacksons intelligence...His wonderlic score was 13. (Same as Ray Lewis')

Donovan McNabb -14. Terry Bradshaw -15.  Jim Kelly -15. Dan Marino -16.

Ryan Fitzpatrick -48. Greg McElroy -48. Blaine Gabbert -42. 

Eli Manning -39. Akili Smith -37. Colin Kaepernick -38. Aaron Rodgers -35. Tom Brady -33. 

Michael Vick -20. Cam Newton -21. Brett Favre -22. Tim Tebow -22.

There is zero correlation between passing an IQ test and playing quarterback. 

If you can ball, thats all that matters.  

https://wonderlictes...nderlic-scores/

• BSLChrisStoner and St.Steveg like this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners