Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

The Ringer: The Ringer’s Updated Top-50 NFL Big Board and Mock Draft

#62 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

The underwear Olympics is upon us and the silly season is in full swing.

I always laughed at mock drafts in baseball because it was likely I knew the source of the slot pick to the team, or value of a player being higher than everyone else.  I don't stand on the soapbox deflating mocks because fans want the consumption and it provides the clicks, satisfying everyone in the process and pushing the fanatic aspect.

What I find fascinating about the NFL is the focal point for GMs or VP (ex) that fall in love with a prospect during the scouting combine because it boggles my mind that measurements can trump the tape.

• BSLRobShields likes this
@Olsen_Don

#63 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,969 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

Never understood it either.
@BSLRobShields

#64 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,878 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

The combine IMO, is where many mistakes are launched.  Scouts get impressed, by guys who impress in individual drills.  Real football players lose ground to the work out warriors.

@mikeghg

#65 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

The Combine is better served at trimming down the draft board than boosting people up it. I tend to think the latter is more of a media narrative than anything else...at this point most teams are pretty set with their board.

@gabefergy

#66 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:55 PM

The Combine is better served at trimming down the draft board than boosting people up it. I tend to think the latter is more of a media narrative than anything else...at this point most teams are pretty set with their board.

It's not really about trimming down per say with regards to 40 time, etc...; it's the point where clubs see value.  Boards are set before they go to Indy, at least with the clubs that follow Belichick or Newsome (which seems about half the league now.)

A club that I continue to talk with for example changes the color of the name more often than not, keeps the player slotted but one color means tested poorly, or bad attitude, they may only trim down if the player pulls a medical that takes them off the board, or a total turd in the interview process that you want him to be someone else problem, no matter how good he is on tape.

@Olsen_Don

#67 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:57 PM

BTW: EDC has 200 players ranked this year based on his interview.  I believe that many ranked, he might be inclined in trading back and acquiring additional picks.

@Olsen_Don

#68 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

It's not really about trimming down per say with regards to 40 time, etc...; it's the point where clubs see value.  Boards are set before they go to Indy, at least with the clubs that follow Belichick or Newsome (which seems about half the league now.)

A club that I continue to talk with for example changes the color of the name more often than not, keeps the player slotted but one color means tested poorly, or bad attitude, they may only trim down if the player pulls a medical that takes them off the board, or a total turd in the interview process that you want him to be someone else problem, no matter how good he is on tape.

Yeah failing a medical or an awful interview could take a player off a board and that's really the biggest part of the Combine.

I do think there are certain athletic thresholds that should be met as well, but in most cases if a prospect is a bad athlete, that's going to show up on the film and it's unlikely they are rated highly or even draftable. 

@gabefergy

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,800 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

The Ringer: NFL Combine Takeaways, Day 6: Jonathan Taylor Is an Ace RB, and He Isn’t the Only One
https://www.theringe...nt-the-only-one

#70 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:53 AM

The Ringer: NFL Combine Takeaways, Day 6: Jonathan Taylor Is an Ace RB, and He Isn’t the Only One
https://www.theringe...nt-the-only-one

This is a very deep draft at RB. I wouldn't be mad to see the Ravens take AJ Dillon in the mid rounds.

#71 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:31 PM

This is a very deep draft at RB. I wouldn't be mad to see the Ravens take AJ Dillon in the mid rounds.

If Javon Leake is still there in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd be VERY tempted to snatch him up, if for no other reason than this team desperately needs a decent return man.  Leake would also add running back depth.  If he's there, take him. 

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,800 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

If Javon Leake is still there in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd be VERY tempted to snatch him up, if for no other reason than this team desperately needs a decent return man. Leake would also add running back depth. If he's there, take him.

Like Leake, but if I was taking one or the other...I'm taking McFarland. Think McFarland has a chance to really help a team.

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,878 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:00 PM

3 or 4 round seems early for Leake/  I felt like he put the ball on the ground a few times, which does not sit well with Harbs.

@mikeghg

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,800 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:11 PM

3 or 4 round seems early for Leake/ I felt like he put the ball on the ground a few times, which does not sit well with Harbs.

Yep, and he runs a little upright. 40 time was bit slower than expected. Runs faster in game though. See some speculation he will be a UDFA.

#75 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:39 AM

Yep, and he runs a little upright. 40 time was bit slower than expected. Runs faster in game though. See some speculation he will be a UDFA.

Never the less, he's got some solid stats returning kicks.  If he ultimately becomes a UDFA, I'd sign him.  If not, I hope the Ravens do address their pathetic results from 2019 in the return game. 

#76 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,878 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:26 AM

Never the less, he's got some solid stats returning kicks.  If he ultimately becomes a UDFA, I'd sign him.  If not, I hope the Ravens do address their pathetic results from 2019 in the return game. 

I think the return game will get a face lift.  We have not had a good return man, since Jacoby Jones.

@mikeghg

#77 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

I know this gets brought up every year. But does anyone think it's possible the Ravens take a RB I round 1? I sincerely hope not. Not this year when the RB class is stacked.

But a small part of me could see them taking Taylor or Swift if they're sitting there at their pick. If we did take Taylor I guess I wouldn't be mad. But I wouldn't be happy either.

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,128 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

I think it's truly BPA this year with the exception of QB and TE.  If they know they are gonna sign or extend Stanley and Humphrey, then maybe T and CB would be off the table. 

RB, WR, G, C, DE, DT, OLB, MLB, and S are all viable options.

#79 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:39 PM

Putting together my annual look at at explosion and agility from the combine for edge rushers.

The combine...sucked, compared to previous seasons.
@BSLMikeRandall

#80 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

Putting together my annual look at at explosion and agility from the combine for edge rushers.

The combine...sucked, compared to previous seasons.

Several of the top prospects didn't test...Young, Chaisson, and Okwara would likely compare favorably to some of the elite guys we have seen in the past. Terrrell Lewis didnt run and Gross-Matos and Darrell Taylor skipped much of the testing.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BSLRobShields, Don Olsen

Partners