• 14,699 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

BSL: Thoughts After 40 Games
https://www.baltimor...ughts-40-games/

Good write up.

You pretty much broke things down well.

Couple of thoughts.

Some of these guys have shown us glimpses.  Ruiz, Alberto, Severino and others.

We need to find out if the glimpses are signs for the future or just blips on the radar.

Ruiz's bat would play better at second base.   His bat does not seem to equate to a corner infielder.

Joey, he does just enough to hold on.  I don't like him in center field.  He seems to freezer before getting after the ball.

Pitching has been awful with the exception of a few.  Givens, Means and Cashner.

We knew it was going to be a bad team, and so far it has.  Finding players will make it tolerable

@mikeghg

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

The excitement down in the minors has to be high right now.

Really be nice for Diaz to get back and start producing...same with Hays.

But I think you would be hard pressed to find an organization with better starting pitching depth than the Os have right now. We have 2 legit high end talents in Rodriguez and Hall. We have guys like Kremer, Knight, Lowther, Akin, Harvey, et al who could all be middling rotation guys.

We have some lively arms that could be BP guys down the road.

It’s pretty exciting to see.
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this
@BSLRobShields

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

Sounds like a high end positional prospect will be the first pick this year and I see that as a good thing.

Getting these outfielders healthy and productive will be huge, assuming it happens.

Mountcastle looks like he will hit but where will he play?

Now we need some MI and third baseman prospects to start coming through.
@BSLRobShields

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

But I think you would be hard pressed to find an organization with better starting pitching depth than the Os have right now. We have 2 legit high end talents in Rodriguez and Hall. We have guys like Kremer, Knight, Lowther, Akin, Harvey, et al who could all be middling rotation guys.

I essentially stole this paragraph and asked Keith Law about it...  not a very detailed response, but it will be interesting to hear what he thinks after seeing these guys.

Tom
1:30
Hey Keith, it seems like the Orioles actually have some pitching talent in the minors.. Rodriguez, Hall, Kremer, Knight, Lowther, Akin, even Harvey.  Is that reason to be optimistic, or just wishful thinking?

Keith Law
1:30
I'll see Hall tonight, and have a post up on him, Kremer, Sedlock, and Bishop tomorrow or this weekend. I don't think all of those guys are starters, but they have some bulk pitching on the way.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

Well he’s right...they aren’t all likely to end up as a starters.

But that’s no different than basically any organization.

Btw, the Braves have more pitching than the Os, so I will amend that comment.
@BSLRobShields

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:29 PM

The excitement down in the minors has to be high right now.

Really be nice for Diaz to get back and start producing...same with Hays.

We have some lively arms that could be BP guys down the road.

It’s pretty exciting to see.

So the Orioles minor leagues has nothing to do with rebuilding, but you think it's pretty exciting right now.

If the Orioles are generally terrible at accumulating and developing Talent (and that's generally correct), but they can still put together some 'pretty exciting to see' pitchers...then that's basically my point about being able to build your system regardless of what you're doing at the ML level.

The Orioles have failed terribly on a number of opportunities, yet they can still put together something exciting without the benefit of a top draft pick. 

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:28 AM

So the Orioles minor leagues has nothing to do with rebuilding, but you think it's pretty exciting right now.

If the Orioles are generally terrible at accumulating and developing Talent (and that's generally correct), but they can still put together some 'pretty exciting to see' pitchers...then that's basically my point about being able to build your system regardless of what you're doing at the ML level.

The Orioles have failed terribly on a number of opportunities, yet they can still put together something exciting without the benefit of a top draft pick.

Who cares?
@BSLRobShields

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

Who cares?

Nobody that opposes my position, because it utterly supports my position.

...and the Orioles aren't even doing it well.  Imagine if you actually worked all of the angles available.

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

...and the Orioles aren't even doing it well. Imagine if you actually worked all of the angles available.

No, it’s no one that feels the need to read your tired argument in every thread.

I just hope we trade these pitchers for the Seager brothers! Maybe somehow get Ian Happ too.
@BSLRobShields

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

I guess that's what you're left with.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

I guess that's what you're left with.

It was as relevant and brought just as much as your bs post.

I find it funny how you like to say you don’t like to take threads off topic yet you did it anyway.
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

...and the Orioles aren't even doing it well.  Imagine if you actually worked all of the angles available.

You have NO idea if the O's are doing "it" well or not. You have NO idea if they have/are working on the angles available. You have NO idea if they are actually working a very intelligent plan. So unless you are part of the front office your thoughts mean nothing more (or less) than any other fan on here. But you act like you have some knowledge that the team is not working smart or isn't working to a plan. The fact is the current management structure hasn't even been in place six months. Why don't you give this a rest and see how things play out.

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

You have NO idea if the O's are doing "it" well or not. You have NO idea if they have/are working on the angles available. You have NO idea if they are actually working a very intelligent plan. So unless you are part of the front office your thoughts mean nothing more (or less) than any other fan on here. But you act like you have some knowledge that the team is not working smart or isn't working to a plan. The fact is the current management structure hasn't even been in place six months. Why don't you give this a rest and see how things play out.

Awesome, I wasn't even talking about the current group.  I was talking about the Talent acquisition approach over the previous years.

....but thanks for sharing your bias.  Really good work.

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

Awesome, I wasn't even talking about the current group.  I was talking about the Talent acquisition approach over the previous years.

....but thanks for sharing your bias.  Really good work.

The article posted was about how things are looking 40 games into this season. That means under the current structure. If you are rehashing history so be it. I won't waste my time with that anymore.

#16 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

After 40 games they have played better than most thought. 

After 40 games in 2018 they were 12-28.

After 40 games in 2019 they were 14-26.

• bmore_ken likes this

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

After 40 games they have played better than most thought.

Pretty much where I'm at on them

#18 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Actually, that was their final total, 258, and it is still the record.

The Orioles record, I'm going to guess, is 242 in 2017.  I've checked back as far as 1995 and that's the high.

The 2019 Orioles, after 24 games, are on pace for 398+.

Good news (?), through 46 games, the Orioles now only project to allow 331 home runs for the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners