69 replies to this topic

#61 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

Also, the baseline for Jackson is really bad. He was terrible on deep throws and short throws. (I actually thought his intermediate balls were pretty solid). Significant improvement might only show up as a few % points in completion percentage on the books and maybe a few more yards per game. But just flashing better accuracy (like don't throw the ball into the dirt 10 yards in front of you) would go a long way in how teams would have to defend given the improvement of the speed around Lamar. 

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,261 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

Along the lines of what Jordan said, it's the easy throws, not the difficult ones, that I think are the most important for Lamar to improve.  

You'd think it should be quite easy for him to avoid the ridiculous blunders where he basically spikes the ball instead of passes it.  Of course if it was easy, then you'd think he would've already corrected most of those which obviously wasn't the case last season.

If he can't make major strides as a passer this year, I don't think he ever will.  But I am optimistic that he will eliminate a lot of the head-slapping physical mistakes in the passing game.  Will be interesting to watch, to say the least.

#63 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

It’s not just a higher completion % and securing the ball.

He has to show he can beat you with his arm down the field. He has to show he can step up and make big throws into intermediate and deep routes. Dinking and dunking and hoping for YAC is fine and that can be a lot of your throws (it is for everyone) but he has to be able to make those down the field throws.

YAC make a HUGE difference (remember 4th and 29?).  With speed guys like Hollywood Brown and Justice Hill as safety valves, I think Lamar is going to look very good in the short passing game and will be able to run less and take fewer hits.

I also happen to think Lamar will improve the accuracy of his downfield throws.  He's already shown he's capable of making those throws: https://www.youtube....h?v=1igeYZlpNUE

The Ravens success definitely hinges on Jackson improving from his rookie year.  I think the chances are high that he will.  You don't.  As Ravens fans, let's hope I'm right. :mrgreen:

• bmore_ken likes this

#64 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

I don't have any evidence to support this...but we know his footwork has been weak but that really shouldn't affect the really short throws as much. 

I think he needs to practice holding the ball and his footwork on the transition of running mode to passing mode.  For the shorter stuff, I'm guessing his handle on the ball and his shoulders are massively out of whack and it could be a grip or hand placement thing. I also think some of it is just pace of the NFL game speed. I think 8 games could make a big difference in Lamar gathering himself at game speed instead of rushing through things. 

For the longer stuff, it's all about footwork and technique though. So he's got plenty to work on...

#65 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

Sillier than using an 8 game sample size as a NFL QB's ceiling?

Who has said that what he did was his ceiling?

#66 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,436 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

No matter how Jackson looks this season, you can't say he isn't trying to get better. All I've heard about him is that he's working tirelessly on the mechanics to be a better passer. 

• Mackus and bmore_ken like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

No matter how Jackson looks this season, you can't say he isn't trying to get better. All I've heard about him is that he's working tirelessly on the mechanics to be a better passer.

This has never been a question about him.

#68 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

I don't think anyone has ever questioned Jackson's work ethic.  I've been one of his bigger critics and I can't say anything bad about his work ethic, off the field behavior, or him being a good team player.  I think his bailing out Flacco when Flacco missed seeing him obviously wide open for a TD in the Pittsburgh game said a lot about his character.  But bad mechanics and bad habits are hard to break once you get to this level.  Maybe you improve them a bit, but what happens when the pressure is there can be a different story.  A lot of QBs revert back to their bad mechanics in those situations.  What happens with Jackson remains to be seen.  Can't say he won't improve and erase some of those bad habits, but you can't say it's a guarantee either.  

#69 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:37 AM

Who has said that what he did was his ceiling?

I guess it's a semantics thing at this point. You seem to be expecting him to not get better which I will admit is definitely a possibility. Sometimes QBs don't improve.

I think the odds are in his favor to at least make reasonable improvements considering all of the circumstances, both of how he was thrust into a starting role as a rookie, and the changes that have been make around him to help him reach his potential.

In the end, the success of the team in this season and probably 2020 as well will firmly be tied to how well Jackson plays. He has a lot to work on, but I think he's in as good a situation as he could hope for. 

@gabefergy

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

Its not hard to go from shitty to better than shitty.

My question isn’t that...it all comes down to can and will he makes the throws needed to win and can he protect the ball better. When he starts makes down field throws and is able to keep the defense honest and off the run game, that’s when I will be happy about him.

My doubt about him is him being able to do those things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users