#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

I mean, that'd be great and what we've heard. All I'm saying is, that if all he is is Jackson, I'm not going to be at all upset. Particularly the early part of Jackson's career.

Right...We can only hope he becomes Jackson. He had had 5 1000 yard seasons and 2 others over 900. He has 53 catches, averages over 17 yards a catch. In his first 7 seasons, he played 14 or more games 6 times (not bad for a "slight" WR, especially since that era wasn't like this one) and he has had 2 more seasons like that since then.

he has 63 plays of 40 yards or more and 173 plays of 20 yards or more.

So yea, I would be ecstatic if "all he becomes" is DeSean Jackson.

BTW, Jackson's listed playing weight is 175lbs...He is probably smaller than that too.

Great comp for what we hope Brown is/becomes.

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

I heard Jeremiah on 105.7 say in an interview prior to the selection what he would like about Brown to the Ravens is the difficult decision Safeties would have to make. Come up to help against the run, and they risk being beat over the top. Stay back respecting the speed, and it will help the running game.

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

I heard Jeremiah on 105.7 say in an interview prior to the selection what he would like about Brown to the Ravens is the difficult decision Safeties would have to make. Come up to help against the run, and they risk being beat over the top. Stay back respecting the speed, and it will help the running game.

Its not a difficult decision at all.  You only play the Ravens as a run team until Jackson shows he can beat you with his arm, especially over the top with intermediate and deep routes.

The Ravens become an absolutely nightmare to play if he figures that out.  If not, they can't win.

#44 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Its not a difficult decision at all.  You only play the Ravens as a run team until Jackson shows he can beat you with his arm, especially over the top with intermediate and deep routes.

The Ravens become an absolutely nightmare to play if he figures that out.  If not, they can't win.

Jackson will improve in the passing game.  Weapons like Brown, Andrews, and the next receiver they draft will help.  With speed all over the field, Roman should be able to craft a difficult to defend offense.

#45 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

I wouldn't say they can't win. They won a lot last season with Jackson being completely ineffectual as a deep passer. It will certainly be a much more effective offense if he can start connecting on some deep throws.

@gabefergy

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

I wouldn't say they can't win. They won a lot last season with Jackson being completely ineffectual as a deep passer. It will certainly be a much more effective offense if he can start connecting on some deep throws.

That was his first go around. That won’t continue.

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

Jackson will improve in the passing game. Weapons like Brown, Andrews, and the next receiver they draft will help. With speed all over the field, Roman should be able to craft a difficult to defend offense.

It’s far from a certainty that he will improve.

#48 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

So yea, I would be ecstatic if "all he becomes" is DeSean Jackson.

Not sure why you said this, or put all he becomes on quotations. That was never said or implied.

I said Jackson is a better comparison for his athletic ability. Hill is unreal. Jackson is electric. Especially in his prime. I would love if Brown gave us the same thing Jackson did in his prime. I'm not sure he can track a ball and set up his deep routes like Jackson can. I'm not sure anyone in the NFL is better than Jackson at that. Trust me, if he gives us the deep ability that Jackson did the Eagles, I'm ecstatic. But I refuse to compare a rookie to a guy that might be the most athletically gifted WR ever, when it comes to the combo of speed, agility and acceleration. Prior to Hill I had never seen a guy catch a 10 yard pass against a hail Mary prevent defense, and take it 50 yards, untouched for a TD. He ate up 40 yards before 8 defenders had a chance to even react and get in position.

Now, I think Brown has the potential to be a better overall WR than Jackson. He seems to be really good at setting his routes up. Seems to have good hands. And most of all he has the work ethic and the desire to be the best. I think him and Jackson have a chance to be special.

With all of that said, please, I'd he's available at 85, take Bryce Love. Next season you have 3 explosive players you can throw out there at once.

#49 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

That was his first go around. That won’t continue.

Perhaps, but I think we need to wait and see what Greg Roman's offense looks like before making blanket statements about how effective a run-heavy attack can look.

@gabefergy

#50 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

Perhaps, but I think we need to wait and see what Greg Roman's offense looks like before making blanket statements about how effective a run-heavy attack can look.

How dare you make sense. Not allowed here. :-P 

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:43 AM

How dare you make sense. Not allowed here. :-P

Especially when you chime in.

#52 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:23 PM

It’s far from a certainty that he will improve.

Most QBs improve from their rookie season to their 2nd year.  Jackson was thrust into the starting role mid-season.  With a full off-season of preparation as the starter and a passing offense designed around his strengths, I'd say his chances of improving on his passing stats from last year are quite high.

• NewMarketSean and bmore_ken like this

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

Most QBs improve from their rookie season to their 2nd year. Jackson was thrust into the starting role mid-season. With a full off-season of preparation as the starter and a passing offense designed around his strengths, I'd say his chances of improving on his passing stats from last year are quite high.

This is true if you are actually capable of improving. His college history says he really isn’t. Doesn’t mean he won’t buck that trend but cliches aren’t going to get him there. He has to change a lot.

#54 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:18 AM

This is true if you are actually capable of improving. His college history says he really isn’t. Doesn’t mean he won’t buck that trend but cliches aren’t going to get him there. He has to change a lot.

He did improve each year in college if you look at his accuracy. No denying he has a lot to work on, but I also think it's kind of silly to think he can't improve. Most QBs do struggle a lot as rookies and I think he had a fairly unique first year in the NFL. 

He's going to have a full offseason to get reps as the starter in an offense that will be designed to play to his strengths as a passer and as a runner. 

I don't think he is ever going to be an amazing passer, but I think he can get comfortable enough to make some of the easy throws he struggled with. The other area that he can improve is in his deep ball accuracy because it is hard to be much worse than he was last year.

• bmore_ken likes this
@gabefergy

#55 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:36 AM

His college history shows a clear annual improvement, particularly in completion percentage.   All the Ravens need is a little better accuracy (60% completions) and ball security (stop the fumbling!).  That will be enough to run a successful, balanced offense (50% run, 50% pass) like Greg Roman typically does.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

He did improve each year in college if you look at his accuracy. No denying he has a lot to work on, but I also think it's kind of silly to think he can't improve. Most QBs do struggle a lot as rookies and I think he had a fairly unique first year in the NFL.

He's going to have a full offseason to get reps as the starter in an offense that will be designed to play to his strengths as a passer and as a runner.

I don't think he is ever going to be an amazing passer, but I think he can get comfortable enough to make some of the easy throws he struggled with. The other area that he can improve is in his deep ball accuracy because it is hard to be much worse than he was last year.

Sure, he can improve. It’s silly to assume he definitely will though.

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:12 AM

His college history shows a clear annual improvement, particularly in completion percentage. All the Ravens need is a little better accuracy (60% completions) and ball security (stop the fumbling!). That will be enough to run a successful, balanced offense (50% run, 50% pass) like Greg Roman typically does.

It’s not just a higher completion % and securing the ball.

He has to show he can beat you with his arm down the field. He has to show he can step up and make big throws into intermediate and deep routes. Dinking and dunking and hoping for YAC is fine and that can be a lot of your throws (it is for everyone) but he has to be able to make those down the field throws.

#58 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

Sure, he can improve. It’s silly to assume he definitely will though.

Sillier than using an 8 game sample size as a NFL QB's ceiling?
  • NewMarketSean and bmore_ken like this
@gabefergy

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,263 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cc9b2196e4a4f4e59

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Sillier than using an 8 game sample size as a NFL QB's ceiling?

I don't have a problem with Rob saying Jackson has to improve. He does.  I also don't think he's saying 8 games last year is Jackson's ceiling. (Rob did say he could improve.)

What I have a problem with what Rob has said above is that he said Jackson didn't show year to year improvement in college. That's just not accurate. Year after the Heisman he spent much more time in the pocket and showed real improvement there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users