Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

Legal?

If you buy a toaster and it comes to you defective, do you think that’s illegal?

Whose life is that empty that if you can’t start watching stuff that you have either already seen or will be able to watch very soon that it’s worth getting so mad over this?

It's not about someone's life being empty. It's about the principle. It just isn't right to so non cholantly f up something you are selling and making money off of. It isn't right.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#42 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,336 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:55 PM

It's not about someone's life being empty. It's about the principle. It just isn't right to so non cholantly f up something you are selling and making money off of. It isn't right.

Lol..you think it’s intentional?

You take things too personal at times.

They f'ed up..so what? Life goes on.
@BSLRobShields

#43 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

It happens ALL the time with streaming services. It's completely avoidable. It should be regulated. I have a particular annoyance with huge companies being cheat and not giving any fs about the customer experience.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,304 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

It's completely avoidable.

Large multi-user networks are very complicated. Especially when deploying new software that cannot be fully tested in a developmental environment.

#45 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

Large multi-user networks are very complicated. Especially when deploying new software that cannot be fully tested in a developmental environment.

This isn't new technology at this point. It's huge companies being cheap, I won't be talked off that.

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,304 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

This isn't new technology at this point. It's huge companies being cheap, I won't be talked off that.

Every major network is a custom build. It isn't a wireless router off the shelf.

I'm not a network guy, but I'd guess it's likely an underestimation in the planning/sizing stage rather than a technical flaw of the network, but I doubt it's an exact science to estimate your usage ahead of time.

#47 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:41 AM

You may be making a huge assumption, by saying it's because they're being cheap. I don't know much about Disney as a Corp. Other than the money they spent to buy out Fox and Marvel. They went live at 2:00 AM yesterday. If I heard correctly, by 10:00 AM, they were fully up and running, with all the issue resolved. They had a few hiccups for the first few hours. You're jumping on them, like it's been two months, and the problems are ongoing. 

I work in tech. I've worked on a few different platforms. Even the long established ones breakdown, when something new is added, or maintenance is done and someone left an extra dash somewhere. It's part and parcel with that world. Like Mackus said, there are always some unknowns that show up after you get out of the sandbox and go live. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#48 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

FYI for anyone that has a Verizon Unlimited plan or 5G Home Internet, you may be able to get Disney+ free for a year.

https://www.verizonw...rt/disney-faqs/

We're doing a year free through this promo.

I watched the first episode of The Mandalorian last night, and it was great. I've seen some comparisons to spaghetti westerns, and particularly Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name character, and I'd say they're spot on so far. Definitely started the series out with a bang...

@Bmore_Irish

#49 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,071 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

We're doing a year free through this promo.

I watched the first episode of The Mandalorian last night, and it was great. I've seen some comparisons to spaghetti westerns, and particularly Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name character, and I'd say they're spot on so far. Definitely started the series out with a bang...

Great twist ending. And bounty droid is awesome.

#50 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

Great twist ending. And bounty droid is awesome.

Yep. With that ending, had they dropped all the episodes at once, I would've ended up watching until 2 AM.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

@Bmore_Irish

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,527 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

It happens ALL the time with streaming services. It's completely avoidable. It should be regulated. I have a particular annoyance with huge companies being cheat and not giving any fs about the customer experience.

Only if you want to pay double for what they're charging.  Gov't fees and whatnot. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

Greed is awesome! We're already paying enough to expect services like this to, you know, work. At a minimum, money should be credited during outages. It'd be a small amount, but that should not go consequence free for a paid service not being available. I truly don't understand why people don't care more about this.

#53 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

Greed is awesome! We're already paying enough to expect services like this to, you know, work. At a minimum, money should be credited during outages. It'd be a small amount, but that should not go consequence free for a paid service not being available. I truly don't understand why people don't care more about this.

100% agree with this. 

I feel like there should be an outage calculation for services that you pay for, that results in an end-of-year reimbursement. Even for services like BG&E, Comcast, whatever. Even if it's pennies in my wallet.

#54 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,527 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:24 PM

I do agree with this.

"Sorry for the bad start, two weeks on us" or something.

I don't agree that we can sit from afar and automatically assume that everything would go off completely without a hitch.  I'm about as technically illiterate as someone you'll meet but I have to imagine that something like this entails so much complexity that it's fairly easy to envision a scenario where something goes wrong. 

@bopper33

#55 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

Lol honestly, again, I've got no dog in this fight. I'm just still pissed at years of miserable Call of Duty launches. Definitely bitter.

#56 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,527 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

100% agree with this. 

I feel like there should be an outage calculation for services that you pay for, that results in an end-of-year reimbursement. Even for services like BG&E, Comcast, whatever. Even if it's pennies in my wallet.

Quick story (that could be MUCH longer).

Verizon turned off my internet a few months back because some dullard tried to open an account at my address (they sent me a new router and everything).  I called them TWICE to ensure that I wasn't moving and that whoever tried to open the account got the address wrong.

Still, one Saturday morning, boom, no internet.  I wasted close to 1/2 a Saturday driving back and forth from the Verizon store and waiting in line and I basically had to open a brand new account.  This doesn't even include the hours I spent on the phone with these people.

They credited me $10.  TEN.

• Ricker Says likes this

@bopper33

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

Every major network is a custom build. It isn't a wireless router off the shelf.

I'm not a network guy, but I'd guess it's likely an underestimation in the planning/sizing stage rather than a technical flaw of the network, but I doubt it's an exact science to estimate your usage ahead of time.

Yep. The problem isn't with them being cheap, or using shoddy materials and trying to eek out extra profit. The mouse has 100s of billions of dollars, and they want this to kick off well, cause they are going to take a chunk out of Netflix/Amazon's market.

This was wholely just an issue that you can't anticipate server pull until it goes live. There's no beta test that will tell you how much bandwith is enough for launch day. It was a little wonky yesterday, but if you kept at it for 10 min or so it worked. It'll probably be like this for a couple days, but I'm sure they've already added a ton more servers.

@JeremyMStrain

#58 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

I still don't buy you can't anticipate it but whatever.

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

I still don't buy you can't anticipate it but whatever.

You really can't. How many videogame launches have we seen with lag, long load times, horrible matchmaking? That's all server load. After 2 decades of launching games with online pull they STILL can't estimate when new games launch. Bungie just had the same problem their first launch after dropping Activision (Destiny - Shadowkeep) The first day was unplayable, by the second they figured out how to adjust the load. They originally spread servers out uniformly across the US and different countries, and then after they've seen where the most pull is, and areas that don't need as much, they reallocate servers they have and add new ones if they run out. The very first online games had servers where you chose where you wanted to play...gameplay would reflect that so if you lived here and played on a Tokyo server, your lag would be gnarly, but you could find servers with the lowest load manually. It's all automated now, so they have to adjust on the fly.

@JeremyMStrain

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,304 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

100% agree with this. 

Comcast does that.  If you have an outage, you call and tell them.  When it's fixed, you call them back and they credit your account for the time missed.  If you squeaky wheel loudly enough you can get additional acocunt credits.

Comcast's product is terrible, so my picture goes pixelated frequently and then fixes itself.  Sometimes it's just certain channels.  It's annoying to step through the phone menus to get to talk to someone, but you get a day's credit every time it happens if you reach somebody and then call back again later when you don't see the problem.

Totally agree this should happen more autonomously, they make it difficult to get through so that people don't both with it.  I find it's a good call to make from the car when you've got 15 or 20 minutes you can spend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners