225 replies to this topic

#161 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe it's because Jim Hunter can be an overenthusiastic nincompoop, but has anyone else noticed how much Hunter and Bordick have gone out of their way to praise Mancini as a great natural first baseman, the team leader/mentor, and all-around great person the past couple of games? 

Maybe it's just part of the all-star voting campaign, but I'd still be kind of nervous if I were Chris Davis. 

• BSLChrisStoner, fishteacher, FFH and 1 other like this

#162 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe it's because Jim Hunter can be an overenthusiastic nincompoop, but has anyone else noticed how much Hunter and Bordick have gone out of their way to praise Mancini as a great natural first baseman, the team leader/mentor, and all-around great person the past couple of games? 

Maybe it's just part of the all-star voting campaign, but I'd still be kind of nervous if I were Chris Davis. 

Honestly, what would he have to be nervous about? The only possible loss to Davis, would be a starting position. If he's released, someone will sign him, even if it's to a minor league contract. The reasoning would be, once he's freed of having to perform up to the expectation of his paycheck, he may actually relax and become a good hitter again. If not, all they lose is whatever the league min. they spent on him, between signing and releasing him. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#163 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

Honestly, what would he have to be nervous about? The only possible loss to Davis, would be a starting position. If he's released, someone will sign him, even if it's to a minor league contract. The reasoning would be, once he's freed of having to perform up to the expectation of his paycheck, he may actually relax and become a good hitter again. If not, all they lose is whatever the league min. they spent on him, between signing and releasing him. 

I feel like you might not be focusing on the point I was trying to make.

#164 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

I feel like you might not be focusing on the point I was trying to make.

Apologies, my take away from your post, is that Trey's impressive play could negatively impact Davis's situation.  

#165 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

Apologies, my take away from your post, is that Trey's impressive play could negatively impact Davis's situation.  

No, and I admit that this is a pet calendar-level conspiracy theory, but I was saying that the O's seem to be mounting a propaganda campaign to convince us of how great of a first baseman and person Trey Mancini is, and I wonder if that's because they're thinking about releasing Davis.*

Actually, I mostly just wanted to call Hunter a nincompoop.

* It's probably because of the all star game.

#166 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

The boosting of Mancini by Hunter is most likely because they are touting him as the Orioles rep for the All Star Game.

However, Davis has slid back enough offensively to consider releasing him. I think he gets some more time.

I agree that Hunter is a nincompoop.

An extremely irritating one as well.

#167 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

No, and I admit that this is a pet calendar-level conspiracy theory, but I was saying that the O's seem to be mounting a propaganda campaign to convince us of how great of a first baseman and person Trey Mancini is, and I wonder if that's because they're thinking about releasing Davis.*

Actually, I mostly just wanted to call Hunter a nincompoop.

* It's probably because of the all star game.

I can see why this conspiracy theory would be swirling around your mind. Under Peter, the O's haven't been very transparent. It seems to me that Peter was always concerned with his public image, as an owner. Ex: Davey Johnson quit, rather than, Davey Johnson was fired. Perhaps it was a truly mutual parting of ways, but 'he quit" leaves a positive reflection on Pete. "He was fired" makes Peter look like a baseball idiot. And that always seemed to be the angle Pete wanted to play. 

In this case, I thinks it's probably about the ASG. No one currently with the team had anything to do with Davis being extended, so no one has an image to protect. If they're running out of patience, they'll cut him. I don't think the sons are concerned with protecting individual decisions that made their dad look foolish.   

#168 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:43 PM

The Orioles have reinstated INF Chris Davis from the 10-day Injured List. #BirdlandMLB_2019_Baltimore.png

• sandiegosean likes this

#169 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

Lol.

Trey Mancini checked in at 17th among AL outfielders in the first All-Star balloting update. Chris Davis was the only other Oriole to place. Davis ranks 10th among AL first baseman in the fan voting.

#170 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

I've come to the conclusion that the answer to the thread title is....no.

• russsnyder likes this

#171 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

Lol.

Trey Mancini checked in at 17th among AL outfielders in the first All-Star balloting update. Chris Davis was the only other Oriole to place. Davis ranks 10th among AL first baseman in the fan voting.

Vote for the worst.

Somewhere, Sanjaya is smiling.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#172 SunspotRob

SunspotRob
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

Davis can't be saved. That was a pathetic pinch hitting performance last night. 2 outs..... runners at 1st and 3rd..... down 4-2...... and you strike out with the bat on your shoulder.

Today...... 0 for 5 with 2 K

Enough is enough....... flush the turd!

#173 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

I've come to the conclusion that the answer to the thread title is....no.

It's been no for a couple of years now. He's never going to be that guy, or anything close to it, again. Maybe for a few games he'll get lucky and give people false hope. But it's not happening. Not. Not now, not ever.

Continuing to play him is stupid. Like continuing to trot Ubaldo out there over and over for 4 years. Stupid.

#174 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

Davis can't be saved. That was a pathetic pinch hitting performance last night. 2 outs..... runners at 1st and 3rd..... down 4-2...... and you strike out with the bat on your shoulder.

I saw Friday's game and Davis not taking the bat off his shoulder. And those pitches were not boarder line strikes. 

He is SCARED IMO.

#175 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

Not even Jesus could save Chris Davis.

#176 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

I was listening to the radio, even Homer Hunter emphasized the point that Davis saw 4 pitches, and never moved his bat. Isn't Davis the guy you pinch hit for? Why the hell is Hyde bringing him into the game in that situation? That alone suggests Elias hired the wrong guy.

• SunspotRob likes this

#177 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

Why the hell is Hyde bringing him into the game in that situation?

1:1 2020 or BUST!

#178 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

1:1 2020 or BUST!

I have no problem with tanking and getting another #1 pick. But I have to say, that's usually the mentality of the FO. Managers probably shouldn't be trying to lose games for the purpose of moving up in the next draft, because no player is going to respect that approach.  

#179 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

What did Earl Weaver say about using struggling players in key situations?  Something like, "that's his role on the team, so I'm going to keep using him until he starts to succeed or until the front office gets sick of seeing him fail and gets me someone better."

• BSLSteveBirrer and SunspotRob like this

#180 SunspotRob

SunspotRob
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

Just watching Davis bat, he looks like he's thinking about what he's going to eat after the game, and not at all about how to hit a baseball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners