BSL: Can Chris Davis be Saved?

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#141 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Trey Mancini says hello!  His D is better at 1st than anywhere else.

We had two first basemen in the minors who could have certainly replaced him defensively... and now with hindsight, offensively as well.

#142 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:13 AM

I think the thing that gets lost inside Davis' pathetic offensive performance is that he's still an excellent fielding first baseman.  I'll give him credit for sustaining that type of glove despite battling all his other demons at the plate.  I'll even venture to say that he's a top 5 fielder at his position.  So, he does make them better than would be otherwise when he's on defense.  

• B00E00N00 likes this

#143 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:47 AM

We had two first basemen in the minors who could have certainly replaced him defensively... and now with hindsight, offensively as well.

Anyway you slice it, extending Davis was a bad business decision, and an equally bad baseball decision. This isn't hindsight talking. On he old board I commented a few times, about how it was easier to tolerate his long stretches of futility, at $10ish mill. a year, than it will be at the projected $$$ he would make.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#144 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,318 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

Anyway you slice it, extending Davis was a bad business decision, and an equally bad baseball decision. This isn't hindsight talking. On he old board I commented a few times, about how it was easier to tolerate his long stretches of futility, at $10ish mill. a year, than it will be at the projected $$$ he would make.  

We could've signed Davis to a very reasonable extension that everyone would have agreed was a wise gamble, and it still would've turned into a disaster.

The scope of the disaster is magnified by the length and dollar numbers, even if those are inflated due to the deferred money.  But a disaster it would have been even if it was a move everybody would have agreed to.  I won't believe anyone would have said no to a 4/$72M contract for Davis, and had he signed that instead of the deal he signed, it'd still make all the "worst contract ever" lists, though it wouldn't contend for the top spot like his actual deal.  Various people were out at certain thresholds above that, and kudos to those that were less risk averse on Davis than the Orioles were (and myself, I was very much for resigning him).  But even if he signed a cake deal that everyone liked, he went south so fast that it exceeded even the most pessimistic expectations and would've turned even the best looking contract into a complete dumpster fire.

• JStruds likes this

#145 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:34 AM

Less than $90M owed to him now...

#146 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

Just my opinion,  the money has been spent, the team has been built to lose, probably at a high rate, so why worry about Davis.

He seems to be doing the work, and for the last week or so, has shown signs of at least making a contribution.  Until he is locking someone, let him do the best he can.

• FFH likes this
@mikeghg

#147 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

...., so why worry about Davis.

....because there is literally nothing else to talk about with this team.

They were built (as you said) to lose.

The players that are here aren't (meaningfully) part of the next team.

The only thing worse than Davis' hitting is some of the opinions that surround him. 

I only want him to do better, at this point, to shut down some of the silliness.

#148 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:11 PM

....because there is literally nothing else to talk about with this team.

They were built (as you said) to lose.

The players that are here aren't (meaningfully) part of the next team.

The only thing worse than Davis' hitting is some of the opinions that surround him. 

I only want him to do better, at this point, to shut down some of the silliness.

I disagree.  I think there a number of things, we can talk about.

Are we seeing a players that can contribute developing.

Dwight Smith Jr..Renato Nunez, John Means, Paul Fry, David Hess, Ricky Martin, Rio Ruiz and others.

Can guys like Cobb, Cashner, Givens and even Straily build some momentum, so we can trade them.

Do guys like Mancini and Villar become long term pieces or are they trade chips.

There are a lot of topics, but everything seems to go back to Davis.

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#149 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

I disagree. I think there a number of things, we can talk about.

Are we seeing a players that can contribute developing.
Dwight Smith Jr..Renato Nunez, John Means, Paul Fry, David Hess, Ricky Martin, Rio Ruiz and others.
Can guys like Cobb, Cashner, Givens and even Straily build some momentum, so we can trade them.
Do guys like Mancini and Villar become long term pieces or are they trade chips.
There are a lot of topics, but everything seems to go back to Davis.

You are correct.

Watching Davis struggle is like watching a train wreck. You don't really want to see it, but it is difficult not to watch.

#150 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

You are correct.

Watching Davis struggle is like watching a train wreck. You don't really want to see it, but it is difficult not to watch.

And in a twisted, paradoxical way, will probably be the only entertainment later in the season(if he's still playing), similar to last year. 

• CMU27 likes this

#151 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

And in a twisted, paradoxical way, will probably be the only entertainment later in the season(if he's still playing), similar to last year. 

You must be easily entertained.

#152 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

If Chris Davis gets a hit in his next at bat, he'll raise his average to .169, which is higher than last year.

He has hit .360 since the streak ended.

So, there's that.

#153 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

And he's the best relief pitcher on the team

• FFH and JStruds like this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#154 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:59 AM

And he's the best relief pitcher on the team

I don't know. It  looks like Sucre is giving him a run for his money in that department :mrgreen: 

• weird-O and JStruds like this

#155 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:18 AM

Lately, Chris reminds me of the guy laying on the plague cart in Monty Python's The Holy Grail: "But I'm not dead yet!"  :ugeek:

• Dr. FLK, DJ MC and weird-O like this

#156 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

Since Chris Davis’s first hit on April 13: - Chris Davis: 290/371/581, 5 HR - Khris Davis: 206/308/250, 0 HR #ThereCanBeOnlyOne

• BSLChrisStoner, Ricker Says, Dr. FLK and 4 others like this

#157 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

Since Chris Davis’s first hit on April 13: - Chris Davis: 290/371/581, 5 HR - Khris Davis: 206/308/250, 0 HR #ThereCanBeOnlyOne

Khris Davis has been hitting like Chris Davis used to.

Just doing rough pen to paper calculations, lets say Davis continues at his .290 clip the rest of the year and end up around .266 or so.  Sadly, "fans" are still going to rag on him.

I really hope, for his own mental well being, as well as the success of the team, he's straightened this thing out.

#158 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Just doing rough pen to paper calculations, lets say Davis continues at his .290 clip the rest of the year and end up around .266 or so.  Sadly, "fans" are still going to rag on him.

I really hope, for his own mental well being, as well as the success of the team, he's straightened this thing out.

??

The last time he hit .260, he was worth over 5 WAR. 

If he manages that average, we'll see a guy close to .900 OPS, and he will actually be worth his contract. 

Some interesting facts, his GB/FB is back to what it was in 2015, and his hard hit and medium hit percentages are also back to 2015 levels. 

This corroborates what Hyde had been saying previously during his hitless stretch. 

I think the O's are only going to see him go up from here, and his approach along with the help provided by the analysis staff might actually help him to find better consistency. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#159 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

IF Davis hits near .260 by years end there won't be any fans ragging on him.

#160 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

IF Davis hits near .260 by years end there won't be any fans ragging on him.

Hell, if he hits .230, no one will. 

• FFH and BSLSteveBirrer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners