#81 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Well just returned from 10 days fishing overseas to see that I have as many hits this season as Crush does!

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#82 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

Nathan Ruiz Retweeted Jon Meoli

The major league record for hitless at-bats to start a season is 37, belonging to Eugenio Velez. Chris Davis is 0-for-31 in 2019.

#83 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,837 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

Well just returned from 10 days fishing overseas to see that I have as many hits this season as Crush does!

Hell it is time to suit you up.

How were your off season work outs, you don't want Palmer blasting you.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@mikeghg

#84 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:56 PM

Because many of you have asked, the longest hitless streak of all-time, regardless of position, was pitcher Karl Drews, who had an 0-for-89 from 1947 to 51.

#85 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

I'm reminded of the sad story told by Rex Barney in his autobiography (Thank Youuuu for 50 Years in Baseball from Brooklyn to Baltimore). He was a pitcher of astonishing power for the Dodgers, once threw a no-hitter. Then, suddenly and mysteriously he totally lost his control, couldn't throw a strike to save himself. Out of the game. Rex was a great guy and a wonderful ambassador for the game, but the baseball muse just left him high and dry. Chris Davis just reminds me of this. Life and baseball can be cruel.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#86 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

I keep thinking back to that footage of Davis taking a called strike 3, because he was staring down at 3B, while the pitcher was delivering. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#87 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

I'm reminded of the sad story told by Rex Barney in his autobiography (Thank Youuuu for 50 Years in Baseball from Brooklyn to Baltimore). He was a pitcher of astonishing power for the Dodgers, once threw a no-hitter. Then, suddenly and mysteriously he totally lost his control, couldn't throw a strike to save himself. Out of the game. Rex was a great guy and a wonderful ambassador for the game, but the baseball muse just left him high and dry. Chris Davis just reminds me of this. Life and baseball can be cruel.

Yep.  That's why I used the Steve Blass analogy.  In pitching terms, it was called a case of the "yips", where they no longer could throw the ball over the plate.  Maybe Davis hasn't reached that stage quite yet because he's still making contact occasionally.  But if there's an offensive comparison, it would be the Blass case or as you noted, Rex Barney's inability to throw strikes.  There's nothing wrong with Davis physically and his futility can't be dismissed as just being "past his prime".  Whatever demons are playing out here, it's obviously between his ears. 

#88 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

What's the likelihood that a random Joe off the street could get a hit in 50 ML at bats?

• Mackus and russsnyder like this
@DaKittenz

#89 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

What's the likelihood that a random Joe off the street could get a hit in 50 ML at bats?

If random joe never played ball above the high school level, I’d say zero. Probably K almost all of those 50 attempts too. A low level college player might find a dying quail or ground ball with eyes a few times in there.

On the other hand, random joe could hold the bat out there and lay down, accidentally, a successful bunt at least once in 50 ABs. Why Davis is above this, I don’t know.
  • Ricker Says and Mackus like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#90 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:47 PM

Fun question.

I agree with Mike's answer. No chance unless they played some serious ball. And pretty recently, too, a college hitter who's just been mashing slow pitch softball for the past 15 years isn't gonna have much of a chance.

#91 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:22 PM

I think he (and specifically Boras) would use the union as a crutch to say he is not accepting the assignment because he has the right to refuse and remain in the majors.

I think he should accept. It's the right thing to do for him and the team. I think it'd be fair for him to insist on some stipulations like they have to bring him back up (or release him) within 30 or 45 days or something like that, assuming that is somethign that can be legally agreed upon between he and the Orioles within the CBA.

If it's an open ended demotion without any guarantee of getting back up, then I have no problem with refusing the assignment. But if that concern can be satiated, then I have a huge problem with him refusing the assignment.

Davis has every right to refuse the assignment. He's earned the right as a vested veteran. If he refuses, maybe it's best that the Orioles release him. Further, what if he goes down and his struggles continue? I think there's a good chance that he can't hit minor league pitching consistently at this point in his career.

#92 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,080 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:36 PM

Fun question.

I agree with Mike's answer. No chance unless they played some serious ball. And pretty recently, too, a college hitter who's just been mashing slow pitch softball for the past 15 years isn't gonna have much of a chance.

Even via bunt?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#93 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:03 PM

I don't think it's very likely. I doubt a "random Joe" would get a sniff of MLB pitching. Further, I doubt very many guys would want to put their face behind a bat to bunt a ninety some an hour two seam fastball.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#94 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:13 AM

Probably zero. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports, most people would just step in the bucket and flail away.

#95 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:19 AM

If random joe never played ball above the high school level, I’d say zero. Probably K almost all of those 50 attempts too. A low level college player might find a dying quail or ground ball with eyes a few times in there.

On the other hand, random joe could hold the bat out there and lay down, accidentally, a successful bunt at least once in 50 ABs. Why Davis is above this, I don’t know.

Having only played little league, I feel I could still have a productive at bat by leaning in a little on an inside pitch and getting hit.  Might briefly curl up in the fetal position before taking the base.

• Thirteen likes this

#96 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

I keep thinking back to that footage of Davis taking a called strike 3, because he was staring down at 3B, while the pitcher was delivering. 

Yeah, that was a classic and was the root of many jokes where I work.  The newest one I heard was..."I wish a girl would look at me like Chris Davis looks at a called third strike."  

• weird-O likes this

#97 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,223 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

Even via bunt?

Yes.  

#98 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,080 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

Yes.

I don't know. With all things being equal, I tend to think a random Joe (your size, not mine) could get a bunt single at third in 50 AB's. But maybe not. I'm pretty sure I'd crap my pants squaring up for a bunt against big league pitching.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#99 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,248 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

I don't know. With all things being equal, I tend to think a random Joe (your size, not mine) could get a bunt single at third in 50 AB's. But maybe not. I'm pretty sure I'd crap my pants squaring up for a bunt against big league pitching.

Which is what most people would do.
@BSLRobShields

#100 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

Davis has every right to refuse the assignment. He's earned the right as a vested veteran. If he refuses, maybe it's best that the Orioles release him. Further, what if he goes down and his struggles continue? I think there's a good chance that he can't hit minor league pitching consistently at this point in his career.

This was discussed on the Fan this morning. If I was a part of that conversation, my reply would be, "If he can't hit AAA pitching, why keep him on the ML roster?" 

From what I heard, he made some real good contact in yesterday's game. Contact is good, and hopefully it's a step toward having one find some grass. After that, maybe a few more find grass, and then things improve from there. 

I'll mention this again, it's nice to see the fans rooting for him at the games. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners