225 replies to this topic

#41 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:08 PM

I served as an economic adviser to the Baltimore Orioles from 2012 to 2018, and my O’s boss at the time, VP for Baseball Operations Dan Duquette, had me working on economic evaluations of a new contract for Mr. Davis starting in August of 2015; none of the contemplated offers went beyond four years. I confidently wagered Mr. Duquette a lavish lunch in Little Italy that Mr. Davis’ value on the open market would be less than nine figures, overall.

I lost that bet, of course. But Mr. Duquette and I were both dismayed that the winning bidder would, eventually, be us. On Mr. Angelos’s request, we had evaluated successively higher offers to Mr. Davis, all of which promised “red ink” in Baltimore’s small, revenue-constrained market. When Mr. Davis turned those offers down, we moved on, trading for Mark Trumbo in early December 2015.

Mr. Trumbo was a slugger who had been playing out of position in right field. With just a year left before his own free agency, Mr. Duquette figured he would be a motivated replacement for Mr. Davis at first base — after which prospects Trey Mancini or Christian Walker might be ready.

But voices within and outside the organization stressed Mr. Davis’ value on the field (though he had, in 2014, already shown a worrying tendency to slump for extended periods) and raised concerns about the P.R. hit if a star attraction was lost. And so, in January, Mr. Angelos made the commitment that he no doubt regrets.

https://www.baltimor...0409-story.html

#42 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,555 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

Reminds me of the anecdote from "From 33rd Street to Camden Yards".

Angelos: Frank, what do you think of Albert Belle?

GM Frank Wren: Great player, hot head, expensive. Someone I would avoid having on this team.

Angelos: We just signed him.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#43 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,845 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

Through the years, PA has proven that he knows very little about the Orioles fan base, even if he thinks he knows everything.

@BSLRobShields

#44 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

A stupid question, but one I always think about. 

If we, collectively, were given ownership of the Orioles tomorrow, do you think that the Orioles would be in a better chance to succeed than with Angelos et al?

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

A stupid question, but one I always think about. 

If we, collectively, were given ownership of the Orioles tomorrow, do you think that the Orioles would be in a better chance to succeed than with Angelos et al?

I might be a billion dollars short, so probably not.  Although I am pretty sure I would not have sat there and looked bored at a ceremony honoring one of the greatest players of all time.

@mikeghg

#46 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,528 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

I might be a billion dollars short, so probably not. Although I am pretty sure I would not have sat there and looked bored at a ceremony honoring one of the greatest players of all time.

Was Pete out there?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#47 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

Four hours before first pitch, Chris Davis is on the field at Oriole Park doing tee work with hitting coach Don Long. A high-speed Edgertronic camera is set up behind him. #Orioles

D3u8U1YWkAE3rKh.jpg

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

Good.  I know Chris has tried to be humble in the past, but he and the team should be putting out as much info as is possible about the work he's doing.  He's gonna get booed and jeered when he continues to hit like crap, but it'll get a little less personal and vitriolic if he can show that he's putting in plenty of work rather than just saying he is (especially when that is publicly questioned by people who are close to the team).

In addition to putting in the work, I still think he needs to make sacrifices to his approach and try things that may be embarrassing to him such as bunting or slapping the ball against the shift.  

#49 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,555 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

Good.  I know Chris has tried to be humble in the past, but he and the team should be putting out as much info as is possible about the work he's doing.  He's gonna get booed and jeered when he continues to hit like crap, but it'll get a little less personal and vitriolic if he can show that he's putting in plenty of work rather than just saying he is (especially when that is publicly questioned by people who are close to the team).

In addition to putting in the work, I still think he needs to make sacrifices to his approach and try things that may be embarrassing to him such as bunting or slapping the ball against the shift.  

He's so messed up that I think simplifying the approach is the best option. Don't think too much. Just go up there and do what you did when it was working.

Trying to turn him into Nick Markakis-extra lite at the lowest point of anyone's career is asking too much.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#50 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

I'm not even sure if a buyout is allowed under the CBA.  I've never heard of any player taking one.  Doesn't mean it's not an option, but it would seem to be a fairly historic contract decision.

Sidney Ponson, albeit under different circumstances.

#51 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

Even though the results were the same as the previous 40+ games, he hit the ball hard in all 3 ABs. His last AB took a little more than the routine effort to catch. Maybe there's something positive to take away from that game. 

BTW, It's not lost on me, that my comments sound a lot like this :D

• DJ MC likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#52 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,845 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

Canseco thinks he can save him!:

Chris Davis from the Baltimore Orioles let me help you with your swing and get back to that 50 Home Run play I told you where at also need to help you with the psychology of the game the psychology of a power hitter
@BSLRobShields

#53 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:58 AM

His problems are completely mental.  He should be on Adderall, or something of similar strength, but baseball won't let him. 

However, it can't be overlooked that he's not just K'ing.  He's had nights where he is hitting line drives, and he has drawn walks. 

It would be practically a miracle for him to get to the level that he was before, but there's no reason that he can't be productive by 2021, if the O's are willing to stick with him.  I think he will start to bear the fruits of his extra labor by the end of May or the beginning of June.  

If he didn't have the huge contract, I probably would have sent him to AAA to work on everything down there, but the O's can't do that. 

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:02 AM

He should be on Adderall, or something of similar strength, but baseball won't let him.

Do we know if any word in this sentence is true? I think we should pump the brakes on claims about what prescription drugs he should be on to manage his ADHD and how that might help his on field performance.

We know he took it in personal life in the past and had an MLB exemption in one or more years through 2012. We know he did not have an exemption in 2013 or 2014 (the latter being the year he got suspended). We know that in 2015 he got an exemption for a different drug (Vyvanse).

I haven't been able to find any info on any TUEs that Chris has applied for, been granted, or been denied since. Because of confidentiality, all the info we had in the past came from Davis himself, because MLB cannot release it. So he just hasn't talked about it publicly since 2015. He could be using Adderall today with league approval or he could be denied from taking either Adderall it Vyvanse and we wouldn't know either way.
  • DJ MC likes this

#55 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,608 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:26 AM

Four hours before first pitch, Chris Davis is on the field at Oriole Park doing tee work with hitting coach Don Long. A high-speed Edgertronic camera is set up behind him. #Orioles

D3u8U1YWkAE3rKh.jpg

This is exactly what we should be seeing from any struggling player.

@BSLMikeRandall

#56 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:43 AM

This is exactly what we should be seeing from any struggling player.

Never understood the benefits of hitting off a tee as opposed to hitting off someone or a machine throwing to you.  I get that it's suppose to help you keep consistent mechanics but to me, there's no substitute of having 90+ MPH pitches thrown to you to improve your timing, which Davis certainly struggles with. 

#57 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,608 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:04 AM

Never understood the benefits of hitting off a tee as opposed to hitting off someone or a machine throwing to you.  I get that it's suppose to help you keep consistent mechanics but to me, there's no substitute of having 90+ MPH pitches thrown to you to improve your timing, which Davis certainly struggles with. 

Seems to be something to it since all major leaguers do it on the regular. I don't know. Back to basics for Davis maybe. Maybe the visual of hitting a lot of balls will translate in game confidence.

Plus that is some expensive equipment back there that could get destroyed if you threw Davis live pitching ;) 

@BSLMikeRandall

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:20 AM

Seems to be something to it since all major leaguers do it on the regular. I don't know. Back to basics for Davis maybe. Maybe the visual of hitting a lot of balls will translate in game confidence.

Plus that is some expensive equipment back there that could get destroyed if you threw Davis live pitching ;)

You take the variable of the moving ball out and then all that is left is your swing. 

#59 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

You take the variable of the moving ball out and then all that is left is your swing. 

I get that but most of his problems are hitting a moving ball which more often that not, he's late on.  I don't know how hitting off a tee will improve your timing.  It's important to see the motion of a pitcher, his rhythm and release point consistently, over and over again.  I don't know who they could use to replicate a 90+ MPH fastball during batting practice since I seriously doubt they'd use any of their own pitchers.  Overall, hitting off a tee isn't going to make Davis any worse of a hitter but I doubt it will help much in his case. 

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:58 AM

He's got lots of problems, so there isn't any one drill that he can do that will solve everything (or even anything).  But working on the basic mechanics of your swing is never a bad idea when you're struggling.  

I also imagine that hitting off the tee in the afternoon isn't the only work he's doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners