#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,022 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

Easy to say from where I sit, but I'd seriously be contemplating retirement if I were him. I know he's still owed tens of millions, but he's likely also made enough at this point for him, his children, and perhaps even their children to live a comfortable life. Why continue to subject himself to this indignity? I know it would be more a case of quitting than retiring, but even walking away is still a better look than this.

Who cares if it's a "better look"?

@DJ_McCann

#22 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:31 PM

To the question, no he can't be "saved". He's incapable of hitting like a major leaguer of any normal ability at this point.

#23 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:49 AM

He's done and it's time to remove the almost guaranteed out from the lineup.  While no one has any delusions about competing this season, it's still a slap in the face to fans to basically hand the opposing team at least 3 outs before the game begins.  Not to mention there's young guys on the team and in the minors trying to make a career and they have to watch the worst hitter in baseball continue to lock down a spot.

#24 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:19 AM

Since there's nothing wrong with Davis physically, it's a difficult pill to swallow when athletes just lose their ability to perform.  But what drives me beyond distraction is how he just has this slow, looping swing with the urgency of a box turtle.  Come on, Chris!  If you're going to strike out, get your money's worth and swing like you mean it.  Flailing away in slow motion will do nothing to make the situation better. There's absolutely no reason his bat speed has decreased that much.  Instead of everyone babying him, get in his face and tell him he's an embarrassment to himself and the team when he displays such little effort.  Too bad if he doesn't like it.  Coddling him sure as hell hasn't worked. 

I think the slower swing may be a conscious effort to try something other than going to the plate, and swinging as hard as he can. Which seemed to be his singular focus all of last year. What you see as a slow swing, is probably the unfortunate result of trying to swing lighter, if that makes sense. Another way to say it is, slowing his swing in the same manner as players who use to choke up on the bat after 2 strikes. It's probably his effort to improve contact, at the expense of strength or power.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#25 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:28 AM

Easy to say from where I sit, but I'd seriously be contemplating retirement if I were him. I know he's still owed tens of millions, but he's likely also made enough at this point for him, his children, and perhaps even their children to live a comfortable life. Why continue to subject himself to this indignity? I know it would be more a case of quitting than retiring, but even walking away is still a better look than this.

I'm guessing that a guy who held out, to squeeze a couple extra million into his contract, isn't going to walk away from that guaranteed money. To all us John Q Public guys, we see the money, and arrive at your conclusion, that the next couple generations of his family are already financially set. But to the wealthy, there's nothing wrong with having a lot more money. And I'm sure that he believes he can turn this thing around. When someone has the success he's had, the last thing they lose, is the belief that they can return to their former greatness. When they lose that, that's when they walk off the stage. 

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

I don't believe a single person who says they would walk away from that money.  He'll get numb to the criticism far before he decides the money isn't worth the antagonism.

Also, it's not like the money he's yet to earn is a small fraction of what he's made to date.  Through 2018 he's had about $96M in career earnings ($78M paid, $18M deferred to the future).  He's owed another $96M from 2019 onward.  So he's only collected on half of the money he's earned.

I also doubt that Davis thinks he's a lost cause that has no hope for re-discovering himself.  And even if he does, I don't think he or anyone else would walk away from that much money.  We've seen guys walk away from millions before, but never that many millions that I can recall.  In two years maybe it becomes a reasonable possibility, but even then I highly doubt anyone would actually follow through.

#27 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:15 AM

For some people, money isn't everything.

#28 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

What did your other fortune cookie say?

• DJ MC likes this

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:24 AM

$96M to avoid being called some bad names by assholes on the internet...I think he'll be able to manage.  Especially since it will absolutely get easier with time, even if he continues to completely suck.  Doubly especially because the Orioles will just release him at some point, so it's not like he has to deal with this for 4 more years.  He might just be a couple months away and get every dime.

Nobody would retire now and walk away from that money.  I'm completely confident in that.  Nobody saying they would is being honest with themselves.  I think it becomes a reasonable claim in two years, even then its far-fetched and very few people would actually follow through.

• DJ MC likes this

#30 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

For me, my dream was to be good enough to make it to the NFL and become Jim Sorgi.  Make $2 million a year to back up Manning who never missed a start.  :D

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:10 AM

The only way the Orioles get out of any of this contract is if he accepts a buyout. He isn’t retiring.

The only way I see him accepting a buyout is if he believes he has to get out of this organization and city. Maybe he believes that a change of scenery will help his career and he’s willing to give up some money now because he believes he can get it back later.

I find this to be far fetched though...but I think it’s the only way.
  • B00E00N00 likes this
@BSLRobShields

#32 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,112 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

Like herpes, we are stuck with him. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#33 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

This isn't an original thought, but I still believe something is going on with the eye sight.  

@fuzydunlop

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

The only way the Orioles get out of any of this contract is if he accepts a buyout. He isn’t retiring.

The only way I see him accepting a buyout is if he believes he has to get out of this organization and city. Maybe he believes that a change of scenery will help his career and he’s willing to give up some money now because he believes he can get it back later.

I'm not even sure if a buyout is allowed under the CBA.  I've never heard of any player taking one.  Doesn't mean it's not an option, but it would seem to be a fairly historic contract decision.

• BSLRobShields likes this

#35 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

I'm not even sure if a buyout is allowed under the CBA.  I've never heard of any player taking one.  Doesn't mean it's not an option, but it would seem to be a fairly historic contract decision.

Yea I don’t know either. Assume you can do it but maybe not.
@BSLRobShields

#36 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

This isn't an original thought, but I still believe something is going on with the eye sight.  

I have to think they have checked out everything physical.
@BSLRobShields

#37 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

All sound reasoning. 

#38 BrandonWarne

BrandonWarne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

I believe buyouts are prohibited by the CBA. 

#39 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,374 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

Are you asking if Chris Davis can accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and savior? Of course that can happen. Maybe it already has. With what he's going through, a river baptism wouldn't hurt him right now.

Can he be saved as a baseball player? Absolutely not. He is as far gone as any player has ever looked and it is a special set of circumstances as to why he is still a regular, not to mention still playing baseball in the major leagues.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#40 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

I believe buyouts are prohibited by the CBA. 

As recently as 2016 they appeared to be allowed.  The Mets bought out the last year of Michael Cuddyer's contract.

Of course, it's possible that buyout language is written in to each individual contract, but it does seem to be allowed.

• Mackus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners