• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#221 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

It's time for bars to start running promotions for when he gets released. Free Oranges Crushes the day he is released. Let's have some fun.

How about this one.

Hold a contest where patrons pick a Davis release date. If you guess correctly, you drink for free, for the remainder of the O's season. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#222 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:43 PM

Yes I could have looked it up, but it was kind of a question to make a point. My point being he shouldn't be playing at all. I guess he has to for the time being because of injuries, but that hasn't always been the case. At this point, what's going to happen that hasn't happened on the last six playing months?

If Davis is on the roster he is going to play. The make up of the roster allows for three or four position players.( One whom us a catcher.) I think Hyde has done a pretty job of using Davis. He generally sits against lefties and he minimizes his at bats by batting him eighth.

Further, Hyde is pretty much forced to use Davis now that Mancini is day to day. I think Davis gets released before the ASB. Smith Jr. And Stewart will be back and Davis is pretty much a warm body at this point.( Although he is a dead man walking with a bat in his hands.)

I would have cut Davis in the off season. It is pretty clear that he cannot hit. I do understand that they may have wanted to give him another chance because of the contract. However, he will be taking a spot and Abs away from a healthy Smith Jr., Stewart, or someone else whom may actually have a chance of hitting major league pitching if he stays on the roster once one of these guys comes back.
  • Mackus likes this

#223 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

But I thought the O's being a little better meant nothing to you.

I never said that, please don't put words in my mouth. I said I wasn't for brInging in over the hill MLBers to help win an extra 10 games.. I care about the team getting better for the future and a manager playing the worst hitter in baseball 60% of games isn't a good sign.

#224 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

My buddy was just screaming this the other day. New manager Hyde has no balls, because Davis would be on the bench every single day until he's released. Playing him at all isn't helping the team moving forward. I agreed with him.

As do I.

#225 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,974 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

If he starts taking at bats away from Stewart, Sisco, etc (players that have a chance at mattering) then I’ll get upset. I don’t think we’re too far away from judgement day.

#226 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

Big time eyeroll at anyone blaming Hyde for playing Davis and especially at calling him gutless for doing so. I think that's such a simplistic opinion that entirely ignores the obvious and inescapable reality that the decision of how often Davis needs to play is being made at the top levels of the organization.

Nobody has outright said it yet, but the implication that if they were the manager they would stand up to upper management and ownership and just bench Davis is also complete crap. Nobody is resigning their first managerial opportunity, which would be certain to be their only opportunity if they did, over the dictation that Davis needed to be played with some regularity thus far in the season to see if there was any economic salvation possible.
  • Dr. FLK, DJ MC, Nigel Tufnel and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners