225 replies to this topic

#201 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

If that actually is the case(and I guess we'll never truly know) then not as much as changed as we thought. At this point until I hear otherwise,  I'm putting the blame on Hyde. He fills out the line up card every game.

Hyde has a three-man bench, and one of those is the backup catcher.  If you need to 'blame' someone, then I guess go ahead, but it would be hard for any manager not to play him.

• sandiegosean likes this

#202 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

If that actually is the case(and I guess we'll never truly know) then not has much as changed as we thought. At this point until I hear otherwise,  I'm putting the blame on Hyde. He fills out the line up card every game.

Maybe they'll release him when Smith Jr and/or Stewart comes back, like Mackus suggested. As for Hyde, I figure he's been given the directive to play Davis. If it was all about "can he rebound", he has to be in the games to answer that question. So I'll give Hyde a pass. When that kind of money is on the line, owners usually get involved. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#203 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

If that actually is the case(and I guess we'll never truly know) then not has much as changed as we thought. At this point until I hear otherwise,  I'm putting the blame on Hyde. He fills out the line up card every game.

Hyde cannot possible take the blame for why Davis hasn't been released.  That's clearly an ownership decision.

#204 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

Hyde cannot possible take the blame for why Davis hasn't been released.  That's clearly an ownership decision.

I think he's saying that he blames Hyde for continuing to play Davis. 

#205 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:01 AM

Maybe they'll release him when Smith Jr and/or Stewart comes back, like Mackus suggested. As for Hyde, I figure he's been given the directive to play Davis. If it was all about "can he rebound", he has to be in the games to answer that question. So I'll give Hyde a pass. When that kind of money is on the line, owners usually get involved. 

I gave Hyde a pass for a couple of months, we're heading into July now. It's pretty clear there's no bounce back happening. I guess until Smith and Stewart come back he has no choice now, but that hasn't been the case the last three months. If he's being given a directive, then it's the same O's philosophy we've seen the last 20 or so years. And that's sad. Puts a dim outlook on the rebuild if the manager can't make managerial decisions.

#206 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

Davis is a tanking genius.  He keeps the payroll floor high and sucks to a record degree.  I say play him every day, Mike McGreevy style.

@fuzydunlop

#207 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

I gave Hyde a pass for a couple of months, we're heading into July now. It's pretty clear there's no bounce back happening. I guess until Smith and Stewart come back he has no choice now, but that hasn't been the case the last four months. If he's being given a directive, then it's the same O's philosophy we've seen the last 20 or so years. And that's sad. Puts a dim outlook on the rebuild if the manager can't make managerial decisions.

Yep, I don't see much change. I just have to hope it's because there hasn't been enough time for us to see change. 

#208 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

He can be blamed for playing him every night. When he clearly has nothing left.

#209 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

He sits him against basically every left-handed starter - he only played yesterday because Mancini got hurt.

#210 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

He sits him against basically every left-handed starter, and he sat yesterday against a RHP until Mancini got hurt.

Now how many games has he started vs how many he hasn't?

#211 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Now how many games has he started vs how many he hasn't?

There's this thing called the internet where you can look up things like that.  Let us know what you find, but I'm pretty sure it's going to contradict your argument about how he starts every day.

#212 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:44 AM

He doesn't play every night.  He's started about 60% of the games.

#213 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

He has played in 55 games (including 1 as a pitcher), and started 43 of them.  He did not play at all from May 24-Jun 4 (IL - a span of 8 games).  He has started 43 of the 66 games that he has been available, 65%.

https://www.baseball...2&t=b&year=2019

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#214 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

There's this thing called the internet where you can look up things like that.  Let us know what you find, but I'm pretty sure it's going to contradict your argument about how he starts every day.

He doesn't play every night.  He's started about 60% of the games.

He has played in 55 games (including 1 as a pitcher), and started 43 of them.  He did not play at all from May 24-Jun 4 (IL - a span of 8 games).  He has started 43 of the 66 games that he has been available, 65%.

https://www.baseball...2&t=b&year=2019

Yes I could have looked it up, but it was kind of a question to make a point. My point being he shouldn't be playing at all. I guess he has to for the time being because of injuries, but that hasn't always been the case. At this point, what's going to happen that hasn't happened on the last six playing months?

#215 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,555 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

It's time for bars to start running promotions for when he gets released. Free Oranges Crushes the day he is released. Let's have some fun.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#216 SunspotRob

SunspotRob
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

My buddy was just screaming this the other day. New manager Hyde has no balls, because Davis would be on the bench every single day until he's released. Playing him at all isn't helping the team moving forward. I agreed with him.

• bmore_ken likes this

#217 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,085 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

My buddy was just screaming this the other day. New manager Hyde has no balls, because Davis would be on the bench every single day until he's released. Playing him at all isn't helping the team moving forward. I agreed with him.

Well, your buddy is the worst kind of baseball fan.

@DJ_McCann

#218 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

Yes I could have looked it up, but it was kind of a question to make a point. My point being he shouldn't be playing at all. I guess he has to for the time being because of injuries, but that hasn't always been the case. At this point, what's going to happen that hasn't happened on the last six playing months?

But I thought the O's being a little better meant nothing to you.

#219 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

At this point, or at least once Stewart and Smith come back, I think the rationale for having continued to give him opportunities slips away.  I think it's perfectly defensible for the team to have given him a couple months to try and turn it around and see if they can avoid his contract being a completely sunk cost, especially when there wasn't anyone with any promise really pushing for that playing time. 

But now we're almost three months into the season, he's been just as bad if not worse than last season, and we've got a couple guys who are showing enough that we should give them the opportunity.  Continuing to play and even roster Davis becomes nearly impossible to defend and I fully agree that it's time to bite the bullet and release him.

#220 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,555 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

tenor.gif?itemid=6180444

• DJ MC and weird-O like this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners