• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#181 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,669 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:57 PM

Just watching Davis bat, he looks like he's thinking about what he's going to eat after the game, and not at all about how to hit a baseball.

It's not that he doesn't care, but he is a guess hitter trapped in his head. 

When you lose confidence, and you are just guessing...  hard to do anything effective.  Also makes your reactions slower. 

When he showed basic effectiveness mid-April to mid-May you could see he went up with a sounder plan.  Shorter swing, better approach. More aggressive.  

When he gets trapped in his head, it's just a horrible thing to watch.... Steve Sax, Knoblach, Ankiel....  

#182 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:14 AM

Just watching Davis bat, he looks like he's thinking about what he's going to eat after the game, and not at all about how to hit a baseball.

Is he still looking at third base when the pitch is thrown? 

#183 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:47 AM

It's time to let this little birdy free.

tenor.gif?itemid=5984922

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#184 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,934 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

Since going 0 for a billion....

125 AB, 26 H, 10 BB, 5 HR, 16 RBI.

.208/.288/.368  .656 OPS

Even if you eliminate the giant slump, he still sucks. He's in a two year slump.

@BSLMikeRandall

#185 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

Every 7 games, the cost of releasing him drops by $1 million.  So, 72 games into the season, the price is below $82M...  at some point, that number will be small enough.

#186 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

I think he will be unceremoniously released in the offseason.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#187 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

I think he will be unceremoniously released in the offseason.

Tulowitzki’d

#188 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

Why are you even holding onto him at this point?

Has to be an ownership decision.
@BSLRobShields

#189 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

Could be.

But I think they view him like they would any other prospect: hope that he improves and you get some ROI.

#190 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,214 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

Absolutely an ownership decision.

#191 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:54 AM

Could be.

But I think they view him like they would any other prospect: hope that he improves and you get some ROI.

The thing is though, any prospect hitting .165 is doing so in the GCL.

#192 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

Could be.

They haven't gotten very much ROI from Davis since he signed the contract. He has pretty much been this guy who can't hit for two years. It's hard to believe that he will find himself at this point. He's older, his bat is slower, and his confidence is shattered. I would be surprised if he finishes the season here. I think he is vulnerable to being DFAed once Dwight Smith Jr. and/or Stewart come off the IL. Their rehab assignments may buy him more time, but it's past time to get rid of him.

#193 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:24 AM

And he shaved his beard. Obviously willing to try anything.

#194 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Every 7 games, the cost of releasing him drops by $1 million.  So, 72 games into the season, the price is below $82M...  at some point, that number will be small enough.

This is the only explanation that makes sense, on the surface anyway. I guess there could be some sort of motivation from a business perspective. Or even an unlikely human perspective, where they just want to let him play through it, because he's being paid no matter what, and he isn't hurting an otherwise competitive team. It's just odd that the team feels like it makes more sense to trot him out there for X number of games, until they find the sweet spot, rather than just accept their situation and let him go.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#195 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

There is no logical reason for him to be on this roster and he's preventing Mancini from assuming his natural role with the team - 1st base. yes, it's an 81 million dollar hit but sometimes you just have to pay for your mistakes.

#196 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

You're paying him no matter what, right? So why is it such a huge stretch to pay a guy to flat out NOT play for you, when he's virtually a COMPLETELY USELESS bat. You're going in to every game batting 8 instead of 9, with the closest thing you can get to an automatic out in recent major league history. Every. Night.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#197 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,214 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:44 AM

I think it made sense to give him the first few months of this season to see if he could recover somewhat from his historically abysmal 2018.  If he was able to, then hopefully you could deal him elsewhere and only have to pay about 80-90% of the remaining contract, which would be a relevant amount of savings particularly in future years when we may want to spend more money on the active roster than we do presently.

But given Davis' continued historically unprecedented struggles, I think we're at the point where that narrow hope has left and the potential for possible benefit has shrunk so small that it's time to just move on.  The injuries to Smith and Stewart bought him a couple more weeks where his presence was not blocking someone with future potential, but with those guys due back soon and Mountcastle likely not too far behind, I think the period of time where it made sense to continue giving Davis opportunities is very near to a close.

• BSLSteveBirrer and bmore_ken like this

#198 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

This is the only explanation that makes sense, on the surface anyway. I guess there could be some sort of motivation from a business perspective.

That doesn't make sense. You're not saving any money releasing him later in the season because he's still getting paid regardless. If you release him 7 games from now, you've still paid him for those 7 games.

#199 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

That doesn't make sense. You're not saving any money releasing him later in the season because he's still getting paid regardless. If you release him 7 games from now, you've still paid him for those 7 games.

I totally agree with you. But that doesn't mean ownership agrees with us. Who knows what they're thinking. But from the outside looking in, they can't be keeping him around because they think he's going to bounce back, or be part of a potential trade. I can't see any other reason to keep him, other than they think paying him to play games is better than paying him to go away.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#200 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:37 AM

I totally agree with you. But that doesn't mean ownership agrees with us. Who knows what they're thinking. But from the outside looking in, they can't be keeping him around because they think he's going to bounce back, or be part of a potential trade. I can't see any other reason to keep him, other than they think paying him to play games is better than paying him to go away.  

If that actually is the case(and I guess we'll never truly know) then not has much as changed as we thought. At this point until I hear otherwise,  I'm putting the blame on Hyde. He fills out the line up card every game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners