225 replies to this topic

#1 BSLBrandonWarne

BSLBrandonWarne

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:14 PM

I took a look into the historical context of where Chris Davis is, and it isn't pretty.

http://www.baltimore...is-davis-saved/

• BSLChrisStoner and russsnyder like this

#2 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

There's 161 million reasons he's still on the team... If he didn't have that albatross of a contract, he would be long gone.

#3 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

There's 161 million reasons he's still on the team... If he didn't have that albatross of a contract, he would be long gone.

It might be under 91 million reasons by now, if you ignore the deferred money he earned from 2016-2018.

#4 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

It might be under 91 million reasons by now, if you ignore the deferred money he earned from 2016-2018.

Ok, 91 million reasons.  None of 'em good.  Just chalk up the financial loss and put him out of his misery.  He's actively hurting the team at this point.

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

Well, the good news is that every 7 games, it gets $1M cheaper to release him.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

Ok, 91 million reasons.  None of 'em good.  Just chalk up the financial loss and put him out of his misery.  He's actively hurting the team at this point.

Is he?  The goal of the season seems to be to tank for the #1 pick.  Davis is a major asset in that pursuit.  They can continue to play him and make the excuse that he has to play because of his contract and they can't give up on him because of the remaining money, all the while his horrid play continues to propel the team towards that #1 pick in 2020.

I'm not a fan of tanking.  But Davis is to be a perfect player to have if you're an MLB team who wants to tank but also wants to have some public deniability that you're tanking.

#7 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

I'd like to know why the Orioles have seemingly abandoned him.

Elias said he was supposed to be a personal project in the offseason - didn't contact him once.

The Orioles supposedly have a lot of data on Davis, why aren't we hearing about them using it to try to fix him?

All we hear from Hyde is that he supports him.  So that's great, now what are you doing with analytics to try to fix him?

I mean you have $17 M per season plus deferred money on this contract, so why isn't the team trying to do everything they can, hiring him a shrink, anything to try to get him right?  Instead they just let him struggle and try to figure it out on his own. It's just mind-boggling.

If you can't fix him, then just cut him.  But running him out there every day when he is so lost is embarassing for everybody all around.  Chris Davis, the team and the fans all deserve better than how the Orioles management is handling this.

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

Elias said he was supposed to be a personal project in the offseason - didn't contact him once.

The Orioles supposedly have a lot of data on Davis, why aren't we hearing about them using it to try to fix him?

All we hear from Hyde is that he supports him. So that's great, now what are you doing with analytics to try to fix him?

I mean you have $17 M per season plus deferred money on this contract, so why isn't the team trying to do everything they can, hiring him a shrink, anything to try to get him right? Instead they just let him struggle and try to figure it out on his own. It's just mind-boggling.

He's not fixable. Have you considered that possibility?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#9 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

He's not fixable. Have you considered that possibility?

Then you release him and stop the public embarrassment.  To abandon him is just wrong.

#10 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

No he's done. 

#11 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

Then you release him and stop the public embarrassment. To abandon him is just wrong.

Lol..they haven’t abandoned him. That’s absurd.
@BSLRobShields

#12 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

Then you release him and stop the public embarrassment. To abandon him is just wrong.

He's not a child or a pet... there's no such thing as abandoning Chris Davis. He's just lost it. He flat out stinks.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:26 PM

Is he? The goal of the season seems to be to tank for the #1 pick. Davis is a major asset in that pursuit. They can continue to play him and make the excuse that he has to play because of his contract and they can't give up on him because of the remaining money, all the while his horrid play continues to propel the team towards that #1 pick in 2020.

I'm not a fan of tanking. But Davis is to be a perfect player to have if you're an MLB team who wants to tank but also wants to have some public deniability that you're tanking.

This is exactly how I feel. He's the team MVP.

#14 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

All we hear from Hyde is that he supports him. So that's great, now what are you doing with analytics to try to fix him?

I mean you have $17 M per season plus deferred money on this contract, so why isn't the team trying to do everything they can, hiring him a shrink, anything to try to get him right? Instead they just let him struggle and try to figure it out on his own. It's just mind-boggling.

If you can't fix him, then just cut him. But running him out there every day when he is so lost is embarassing for everybody all around. Chris Davis, the team and the fans all deserve better than how the Orioles management is handling this.

I think it's unfair to blame Davis' continued struggles on Elias and Hyde. The guy has struggled long before they got here. Also, who cares if Elias contacted Davis over the winter? What was he going to discuss with him?

This situation is squarely on Davis. He makes enough money to hire a sports psychologist, personal hitting coach, chef, etc.

Also, how are analytics going to "fix" Davis? He has clearly lost bat speed and he can no longer hit major league pitching. I do agree with the author that the Orioles should cut bait sooner than later. It has become an embarrassment. The Orioles will likely get the first pick in the draft whether or not Davis strikes out in 250 out of 400 plate appearances.

#15 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

Since there's nothing wrong with Davis physically, it's a difficult pill to swallow when athletes just lose their ability to perform.  But what drives me beyond distraction is how he just has this slow, looping swing with the urgency of a box turtle.  Come on, Chris!  If you're going to strike out, get your money's worth and swing like you mean it.  Flailing away in slow motion will do nothing to make the situation better. There's absolutely no reason his bat speed has decreased that much.  Instead of everyone babying him, get in his face and tell him he's an embarrassment to himself and the team when he displays such little effort.  Too bad if he doesn't like it.  Coddling him sure as hell hasn't worked. 

#16 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:39 PM

IMO I would play him every day, break his spirit and hope he agrees to a buyout.

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,975 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:02 PM

IMO I would play him every day, break his spirit and hope he agrees to a buyout.

giphy.gif

@DJ_McCann

#18 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:27 PM

Is he?  The goal of the season seems to be to tank for the #1 pick.  Davis is a major asset in that pursuit.  They can continue to play him and make the excuse that he has to play because of his contract and they can't give up on him because of the remaining money, all the while his horrid play continues to propel the team towards that #1 pick in 2020.

I'm not a fan of tanking.  But Davis is to be a perfect player to have if you're an MLB team who wants to tank but also wants to have some public deniability that you're tanking.

If the goal truly is the worst record in MLB, then, yeah, Davis is helpful.  I just feel like they are better off giving playing time to other players to evaluate what they've got.  I doubt letting some younger prospects play instead of Davis is going to really derail their tanking too much.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

I just feel like they are better off giving playing time to other players to evaluate what they've got. I doubt letting some younger prospects play instead of Davis is going to really derail their tanking too much.

Until one or more of the guys at AAA or below are ready for up here, he's not really blocking anyone who needs time. Valid argument that Trey should be at 1B if that's his long term position, but other than that Davis at 1B most games isn't preventing anyone from playing.

As soon as Diaz or Mountcastle or Hays or McKenna or maybe even Stewart have done enough to merit everyday time in Baltimore, then you need to bench or release Davis so that they can play. But none of those guys have a résumé worthy of promotion, so Davis isn't blocking anybody and as such he isn't hurting anything besides our eyes and that day's box score.

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,820 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:04 PM

Easy to say from where I sit, but I'd seriously be contemplating retirement if I were him. I know he's still owed tens of millions, but he's likely also made enough at this point for him, his children, and perhaps even their children to live a comfortable life. Why continue to subject himself to this indignity? I know it would be more a case of quitting than retiring, but even walking away is still a better look than this.

• Thirteen likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners