49 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,264 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

Washington Post: 

Silver lining for Maryland basketball offseason: 'Everybody is going to remember this feeling’

#2 TSMarine

TSMarine
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

Hopefully, there won't be any transfers.  There are a few considering leaving (I am told).

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

I'm worried that Wiggins will decide to transfer. Haven't heard anything indicating he might, just concerned because he played behind three guards this year who all return.

I'm a huge fan and think he's got a much higher ceiling than anyone he played behind this year. Really hope he returns and if he does I think he may be our leading scorer next season.

Tomiac is the other guy that makes sense to be considering a transfer. I don't think he'd be much of a loss. Nice depth and I hope he returns, but we can replace him.

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,636 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

http://www.espn.com/...-no-1-seed-fall

Which team not in this Sweet 16 do you feel most confident about being here next season?

Medcalf: I like Maryland's chances, especially if Bruno Fernando comes back. But even if Mark Turgeon loses him, I think we saw enough from Jalen Smith(15 points, five blocks in loss to LSU in the second round) to trust that he's going to evolve into a dominant (consistently) player for the Terps, ranked 350th out of 353 teams in experience on KenPom.com. They have the pieces to grow and win a couple of games in next season's tournament.

@BSLRobShields

#5 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

http://www.espn.com/...-no-1-seed-fall

Yeah...but what if Bruno and Jalen leave?   :shock:

#6 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

I don't think Smith leaves but Bruno is a lock to go in my opinion.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

"Maryland freshman Jalen Smith is expected to announce that he will return for his sophomore year, according to a source familiar with the situation."

- Don Markus (Baltimore Sun) via Twitter

• Mackus likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:56 AM

Can confirm Maryland's Jalen Smith will be returning for his sophomore season.

• Mackus likes this

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:03 AM

Hell yeah!  Expecting a big step forward from him for next season.  Not quite Bruno-like jump, but I think he had a better freshman year than Bruno did so he's starting a bit further up the ladder.

I wanna see better perimeter and free-throw shooting, I think he can hit a much higher percentage than he did this season.  And the biggest thing for him to work on, which I'm sure he will since he made such great strides already from HS to frosh, is adding strength.  He's never gonna be a bruiser, but he needs to be able to play through contact offensively which has been a struggle.

The one weakness I don't think he can improve is hands.  He doesn't struggle catching passes, which is good, but securing boards has been a difficulty at times.  Balls ricochet off his hands much more often than you'd expect.  I don't really think that's something you can vastly improve, though.  You either have good hands (Bruno, Jordan Williams, Lonny Baxter) or you don't (basically every other big we've ever had).

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

Here's the official release from Turgeon: https://umterps.com/...ore-season.aspx

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

Hell yeah!  Expecting a big step forward from him for next season.  Not quite Bruno-like jump, but I think he had a better freshman year than Bruno did so he's starting a bit further up the ladder.

I wanna see better perimeter and free-throw shooting, I think he can hit a much higher percentage than he did this season.  And the biggest thing for him to work on, which I'm sure he will since he made such great strides already from HS to frosh, is adding strength.  He's never gonna be a bruiser, but he needs to be able to play through contact offensively which has been a struggle.

The one weakness I don't think he can improve is hands.  He doesn't struggle catching passes, which is good, but securing boards has been a difficulty at times.  Balls ricochet off his hands much more often than you'd expect.  I don't really think that's something you can vastly improve, though.  You either have good hands (Bruno, Jordan Williams, Lonny Baxter) or you don't (basically every other big we've ever had).

I think Smith is doing the right thing, obviously.  I don't think he has bad hands, but is not strong enough.  If he gets stronger, he will not lose the contested ball on bumps and will finish a lot more shots around the rim, which is what,  I thought was his big problem.

@mikeghg

#12 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,401 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:21 PM

Maryland getting a lot of love today in everyones "too early top 25" for next season. 

@beginthebegin71

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

Maryland getting a lot of love today in everyones "too early top 25" for next season. 

Even with the expected loss of Bruno, it is a talented team.

I expect Sticks to be much better next year, Lindo, Ayala and Wiggins to be advanced.   They also gave the Twins and Donta Scott coming in.

I am sure Turg will try to add a grad transfer/

We will need improvement in one department.

@mikeghg

#14 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,177 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

Right... is Gary available?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

Right... is Gary available?

Sign me up for that option.

Let's be creative, Turg recruit them and Gary coach them.

@mikeghg

#16 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,401 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

Even with the expected loss of Bruno, it is a talented team.

I expect Sticks to be much better next year, Lindo, Ayala and Wiggins to be advanced.   They also gave the Twins and Donta Scott coming in.

I am sure Turg will try to add a grad transfer/

We will need improvement in one department.

Definitely top 10 in my book. 

@beginthebegin71

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

As much as I think Sticks and especially Wiggins could make huge strides from Year 1 to Year 2, I think the key for next season is Cowan.

I don't think he can get into the rafters unless he has a Big 10 POY type season, which I do not think is particularly likely.  But Cowan has the ability to have a great senior year and become a "just outside the rafters" type guy, like Drew Nicolaus, perhaps, or a better version of Eric Hayes.  But he also frustrates at times and gets to the point where his struggles permeate to the rest of the team.  I wouldn't agree that we're ever better off without him, but sometimes it gets pretty close to that point, and if he spends much of next season at that level, we aren't gonna be nearly as good as everyone wants the team to be.  Turgeon also looks like a much better coach when Cowan can create and make plays.  I think the type of year he has next season will be the turning point between just inside the bubble and a Sweet 16 team.

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,636 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

Saw this on Twitter:

A name to keep an eye on: Hakim Hart. He recently decommitted from Saint Joe’s after they fired their head coach. Hart and Terp commit Donta Scott played on the same AAU team this past season.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLRobShields

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

Definitely top 10 in my book. 

I think it comes down to the Twins being able to jump in and contribute quickly.  It also comes down to Maryland being better at the end of the season, which has not been a strength of Turgeon teams.  

• Ricker Says likes this
@mikeghg

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:35 AM

Saw this on Twitter:

A name to keep an eye on: Hakim Hart. He recently decommitted from Saint Joe’s after they fired their head coach. Hart and Terp commit Donta Scott played on the same AAU team this past season.

I have a good friend, who is a St Joe Alum,and still goes to many of their home games.  He has seen Hart a few times, and was excited when St Joe got the commitment, but thinks he is going to need some time to develop.   He said Hart will be very good as a  junior and senior player.

BTW, he thinks Maryland got a real good one in Scott.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners