67 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

Three True Outcomes is the real enemy here.

Absolutely. The ball isnt put in play enough.

#62 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:43 PM

Since that happens, like, twice a season, that isn't a problem that actually needs solving.

I've said my idea before--essentially, once the first pitch is thrown in an inning, you get one "free" pitching change, but the new pitcher must either complete the inning, give up a run, or be injured (with the DL as a requirement) before the next pitcher can enter. That solves 95% of the actual problems. The innings of X starts, gives up a hit, Y enters, gets an out and walks a guy, Z enters...etc. But it relates to the actual game action, not some artificial three-batter standard.

Also, you could do things like eliminating most of the warmup pitches, possibly requiring the relocation of the bullpens, etc., to cut down on the time itself.

So your proposal is the first pitcher of an inning gives up a homer.
Free pitching change
Next pitcher could conceivably have to face four straight batters if he loads the bases since he has to end the inning, give up a run, or go on the DL. Or worse, 6 straight batters if he loads the bases then gets three Ks. If you have a bit of a cushion You’ll end up having the pitcher play catch with the outfield so a runner can score if the next batter is a more optimal matchup for the next guy you want to bring in.

Agree with doing away with the warm up pitches. Bullpens in the tunnel with a camera in there seem fine to me as well so the reliever only has to come from the dugout.
@BSLMikeRandall

#63 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:06 PM

So your proposal is the first pitcher of an inning gives up a homer.
Free pitching change
Next pitcher could conceivably have to face four straight batters if he loads the bases since he has to end the inning, give up a run, or go on the DL. Or worse, 6 straight batters if he loads the bases then gets three Ks. If you have a bit of a cushion You’ll end up having the pitcher play catch with the outfield so a runner can score if the next batter is a more optimal matchup for the next guy you want to bring in.

Yes.

Also, they wouldn't "play catch". They would intentionally walk the batter. Which I bet we will see now under a similar scenario.

@DJ_McCann

#64 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:03 PM

Yes.

Also, they wouldn't "play catch". They would intentionally walk the batter. Which I bet we will see now under a similar scenario.

No they wouldn't. That keeps the bases loaded. Maybe they want the DP in order depending on hitter, score, inning, etc... More likely  they would throw a wild pitch, aka, safely roll the ball or lightly toss it past the catcher who will leisurely pick it up so the runners advance, but only one base, and you can change your pitcher without putting another runner on.

Your give up a run proposal is too goofy. Although it would mean the O's can pretty much make pitching changes, seemingly any time they want. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,952 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:51 PM

I also prefer the new 3 batter rule to DJ's variation. Don't particularly like any rules where a pitcher cannot be replaced, though.

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

MASN: A take on the proposed new MLB playoff format
https://www.masnspor...off-format.html

#67 CantonJester

CantonJester
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

Three True Outcomes is the real enemy here.

Absolutely. The ball isnt put in play enough.

100% agreed. 

#68 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,316 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:38 PM

Melewski does a nice job, summarizing the different rules.

https://www.masnspor...-with-fans.html

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners