• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#161 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 113,432 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

Boosters are fine though. They love this/him.

Ehh I don't know about the booster love. I just don't think there is a large will for change, or a program flush with $ to make that push. 

But maybe.  

Flame out in the NCAAT as well, and maybe. 

#162 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,397 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

Just my 2 cents on the boosters.  I think criticizing them is a little unfair.  At times, you just have to get tired of writing checks to buy out coaches, and pay for facilities.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#163 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

We just lost to a 17-15 team with 4 players of there's out due to injury.

#164 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,585 posts

Are you a booster?  How do you know this?

Mackus said the boosters like him a lot as a person. No reason they are in a hurry for change. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#165 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:30 PM

Are you a booster?  How do you know this?

I told him it was the case.  True from everything I've heard from people who interact with well moneyed boosters.  Not first hand stuff that I know, but I know people who are around the program and the university and they hear things.  

Also "the boosters" is a collective.  Doesn't mean everyone who donates money is happy or wouldn't like to see a change.

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 113,432 posts

Alex Len went what, #5 overall? Said the same thing then and the same thing with Stone. I don't get it. I don't follow the NBA so I'm not sure If that is good that those teams did that?

Stone was a 2nd round pick. 

Len at-least averages double figures and throws up big games here and there.

#167 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,397 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

I would like to thank Mark and the Terps for screwing with what is one of my favorite basketball weekends of the year, once again.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@mikeghg

#168 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

I'd just like to see one season where the team is better at the end of the year than at the beginning.

How is it possible that a 8-man rotation that includes 5 freshman is better before they start getting coached than after a year of coaching?  Just insane.

• Ricker Says likes this

#169 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

Everyone can keep pretending the economic issues of firing him aren't present if you want.  But that's the reason he's still here.  Until the penalty becomes less crippling or unless he loses the boosters and they agree to pay for it, he's not going anywhere.

"They can afford to do whatever they want" is not a very informed statement, IMO.  They'd have to pay him 2 years of salary in 60 days and then pay the rest out over time.  It's just not there unless there was a Durkin-like, non-sports reason they had to do it.

I am a Director of Finance at Johns Hopkins and I can tell you this is completely true.  I understand that MD has received a ton of cash from the B10 but a state run school cannot suck up that much money.  All University's are under siege in their budgets due to government changes, it just isn't as profitable as it use to be.  I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#170 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,397 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

I'd just like to see one season where the team is better at the end of the year than at the beginning.

How is it possible that a 8-man rotation that includes 5 freshman is better before they start getting coached than after a year of coaching?  Just insane.

Agree 100%.  Again, I am a homer, and almost always stick up for the local players and coaches, but I am being totally honest, I do not care where they are seeded, because I have no confidence in Turgeon being able to get them to go more than one win.

I am not usually the one killing him, but today is pretty unforgivable.

@mikeghg

#171 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

2015 - #2 seed Maryland loses to #3 seed MSU

2017 - #3 seed Maryland loses to #6 seed Northwestern

2018 - #8 seed Maryland loses to #9 seed Wisconsin

2019 - #5 seed Maryland loses to #13 seed Nebraska

#172 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,534 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

It’s not all Turgeon. The players just aren’t all that good either. Nothing was falling. They couldn’t rebound. That’s a sign that the skills aren’t there. This isn’t as good a team as the paper might say it is. But Turgeon sucks too.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#173 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,534 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

They also turn the ball over more than a handful of schools in the whole nation. Think on that for a moment.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#174 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 113,432 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

It’s not all Turgeon. The players just aren’t all that good either. Nothing was falling. They couldn’t rebound. That’s a sign that the skills aren’t there. This isn’t as good a team as the paper might say it is. But Turgeon sucks too.

Sometimes shots don't fall.  But over the course of the year, Wiggins and Ayala have shown to be strong shooters. Cowan and S.Smith also capable. They've run an efficient offense. They've been strong rebounders.  They've also been efficient on defense (length to contest shots, good athleticism...  etc). 

They've also turned it over with some regularity, not created turnovers (Turgeon never does)... don't score hardly at-all in transition, which makes them prone to long stretches where they don't score. 

They've got 2 NBA bigs, a good college PG, multiple shooters.  They've got Top 16-25 talent, and to be fair... they've spent most of the year in the Top 25. 

What's annoying is:

- It's often the same script when things go wrong.. 

- The OOC schedule was meh... again. 

- They don't do well against like talent... 

- They again (seemingly) peaked in mid Feb vs. mid March.... 

#175 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

I'm sad at how little I cared about this game. Turgeon has made me more excited for Maryland football at least.
  • clapdiddy likes this

#176 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,081 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

Is that player quality or coach quality?

@DJ_McCann

#177 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,585 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

Everyone can keep pretending the economic issues of firing him aren't present if you want.  But that's the reason he's still here.  Until the penalty becomes less crippling or unless he loses the boosters and they agree to pay for it, he's not going anywhere.

"They can afford to do whatever they want" is not a very informed statement, IMO.  They'd have to pay him 2 years of salary in 60 days and then pay the rest out over time.  It's just not there unless there was a Durkin-like, non-sports reason they had to do it.

So it is there, if there was an emergency situation where you had to do it. It being there, is all I need to know that it should be used. 

(Besides the fact that these institutions are money printing machines, they get $25M a year they weren't getting before just for airing their crappy product on Big Ten Network).

It's like saying you can't carry $21M in dead money for one player on an NFL salary cap. It's unprecedented. Crippling perhaps. Well, the Steelers are about to prove you can do it, and still operate, and if it sucks for a year, so be it. 

You can fire him if you want. It might suck. But you can. It's naive to think schools like UMD are stuck pinching pennies in a way that they wouldn't be able to fire a coach with a buy out. It's big business. Big businesses know how to skate the rules, stash money, etc... That's just the way it is. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#178 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

They certainly can't afford to fire him without financial implications that go beyond the basketball team.

Firing him and buying him out may mean they have to fold other non-revenue sports.  If you don't actually care about the university overall but are just a sports fan of the basketball and football teams (and maybe lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, etc) then maybe that's a trade off you're comfortable making and there isn't anything wrong with that opinion.

The financial implications may even go beyond the athletic department now that the University is paying Durkin and his staff and likely tons of lawyers and eventually lawsuits or settlements.

#179 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,397 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

Disagree, there is real good talent on this team.  It is young talent and at times young talent, can be dumb talent, and impatient talent, but there is good talent on this team.

@mikeghg

#180 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

ACC Tourney under Turgeon:

2012 (#8): Beat #9 Wake Forest, Lost #4 UNC

2013 (#7): Beat #10 Wake Forest, Beat #2 Duke, Lost #3 UNC

2014 (#8): Lost #9 FSU

Big Ten Tourney under Turgeon:

2015 (#2): Beat #7 Indiana, Lost #3 MSU

2016 (#3): Beat #11 Nebraska, Lost #2 MSU

2017 (#3): Lost #6 Northwestern

2018 (#8): Lost #9 Wisconsin

2019 (#5): Lost #13 Nebraska

NCAA Tourney under Turgeon:

2015 (#4): Beat #13 Valparaiso, Lost #5 WVU

2016 (#5): Beat #12 South Dakota St, Beat #13 Hawaii, Lost #1 Kansas

2017 (#6): Lost #11 Xavier

He's beaten a higher seed 1 time eight seasons.  Lost to lower seeds 6 times.  

• BSLChrisStoner and Ricker Says like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners