194 replies to this topic

#181 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

They certainly can't afford to fire him without financial implications that go beyond the basketball team.

Firing him and buying him out may mean they have to fold other non-revenue sports.  If you don't actually care about the university overall but are just a sports fan of the basketball and football teams (and maybe lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, etc) then maybe that's a trade off you're comfortable making and there isn't anything wrong with that opinion.

The financial implications may even go beyond the athletic department now that the University is paying Durkin and his staff and likely tons of lawyers and eventually lawsuits or settlements.

No, they wouldn't.

I realize I'm in the minority, possibly even wrong, thinking that major schools athletic departments have money to blow, but don't release those numbers because then it means that they have zero legs to stand on in a "should student athletes get paid" argument. They release to the gov't and the public what they want them to see. 

I just don't trust big business, or government no matter the size or affiliation, and big time schools fall under the umbrella of both. I've seen Baltimore City cry poor when they were closing firehouses and furloughing us. But then something they want comes along like the grand prix and they find $10M under the couch cushions. I've seen colleges charge you $180 for 500 pages that are three hole punched, that you have to put in a binder, and call it a textbook. One that you can sell back. It's a scam. 

I'll stop pressing. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#182 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

MD basketball is a cash cow. At last look, it was tenth in the country in revenue generated, according to Forbes. Turgeon is walking breathing proof you can bring Mickey Mouse in here to coach and the program will ring up the dollar signs. I have no trouble firing Turgeon as I've long advocated and bringing in real coach who can lead this program to consistent top 10 finishes with the abundance of major college talent in its area.

#183 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

From July. Athletic department broke even in '16-17 (I think this is typical FY from October to October but not 100% sure on the dates). That's before they paid off Durkin and his staff this year.

http://www.dbknews.c...ales-donations/

Not sure when this past years reports will come out. My guess is in the summer. Revenues should continue to go up as the Terps get a bigger share of Big Ten money, but expenses this year will be outrageous. Durkin and staff payouts may split across multiple years as well.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#184 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:16 PM

It's the same script to me almost every single time they face a top tier team, or even a decent team in a tournament environment. 20 points in the first 20 minutes today? There's always a prolonged stretch (sometimes two) where they just can't put points on the board. They miss FTs when your gut just says they're building a little momentum. Too many turnovers usually thanks to sloppy ball-handling and/or lack of movement on offense that forces bad shots or tough passes. General lack of intensity, watching opponents slice through a crowd of larger but flat-footed Terps to grab big rebounds. Big men taking 3 pointers because "well, they make them in practice all the time".

I watched it off and on today. The second Smith missed a 3 pointer early I knew we were going to see a repeat of "the script" again today. Like a Marty Mornhinweg led offense, it's all just SO predictable.

#185 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

Bring in Shawn Miller.

#186 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

Bring in Shawn Miller.

So... fire Turgeon + his staff...  eat those contracts....  hire Miller (assuming he gets past the FBI Investigation) to the contract it would take? 

Lot of $. More than I think they have. 

Plus he has the #1 recruiting class.  If he continue on coaching... why would he want to leave Arizona for the MD job at this point?

#187 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:34 AM

Bring in Shawn Miller.

It's Sean.

Miller is the guy that I and most people wanted when Gary left, but Kevin Anderson fucked it all up.  Even if we magically pretend that the University can afford to fire Turgeon and pay his buyout,(maybe we say Turgeon takes a job somewhere else?  that's at least possible and possible is always more realistic than impossible), Miller has a ton of stink on him now from the Adidas scandal.  If he comes out clean, then I'd still consider him a perfect candidate.  But I'd be very wary of inviting scandal.  And if he does come out clean, I don't think Maryland is the same job it was 8 years ago and Arizona (if scandal-free) is a better job than it was 8 years ago, and he turned us down then.

#188 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:45 AM

Bring in Shawn Miller.

Don't know who Shawn is, but Sean may be in trouble with the FBI

@mikeghg

#189 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

It's Sean.

Miller is the guy that I and most people wanted when Gary left, but Kevin Anderson fucked it all up.  Even if we magically pretend that the University can afford to fire Turgeon and pay his buyout,(maybe we say Turgeon takes a job somewhere else?  that's at least possible and possible is always more realistic than impossible), Miller has a ton of stink on him now from the Adidas scandal.  If he comes out clean, then I'd still consider him a perfect candidate.  But I'd be very wary of inviting scandal.  And if he does come out clean, I don't think Maryland is the same job it was 8 years ago and Arizona (if scandal-free) is a better job than it was 8 years ago, and he turned us down then.

I don't think the university would ever go anywhere near someone with the baggage Miller has.

As for the value, of the Maryland job, I think get the right guy and it returns the luster.

Maybe a chicken or the egg type thing.

@mikeghg

#190 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

We miss yall in the ACC. IJS.

• BSLSethBondroff and Ricker Says like this

#191 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,178 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

Just want to say, I have a lot of respect for Turgeon. He seems like a real great guy. Treats the media and his players very well. Has represented the University with class, and seems to do things above board. 

I'm ready for the next phase of Maryland basketball. It could definitely get worse, so it's a be careful what you ask for type deal. But I believe it can also get a lot better, and they should at least try and reach that upside as a program.

• Mackus likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#192 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:54 PM

On paper Miller looks clean to me. It looks to me that his assistant was the problem.

#193 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,911 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

On paper Miller looks clean to me. It looks to me that his assistant was the problem.

You misspelled "fall guy".

• Mike B likes this
@DJ_McCann

#194 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

If he's clean, why would he come here?

If he's dirty, why would we want him?

And while I think Miller is a great college coach, this hypothetical ignores the fact of the economic situation of the athletic department and University as a whole. Funds are simply not there to buyout Turgeon's contract and hire an upper tier, expensive replacement.
  • Ricker Says likes this

#195 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:04 PM

Yea Miller did not know a thing about what is going on.

And in an unrelated story Rick Pitino, knew nothing about the hookers.  That was his assistant, too.

• Ricker Says likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners