The system is broken! Everybody strike!

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

Buck lost his job because the team lost. AJ became a free agent and his value has gone down despite his reputation as a clubhouse leader.

If the machine breaks down ( as in a baseball team that loses 115 games) it sometimes gets junked. Extending Buck and resigning AJ at this point would be akin to sinking five grand into a 1994 Cutlass Ciera. Sometimes you move on

I always felt that after the Jimenez fiasco, Buck lost the clubhouse.

And let's face it... last year a lot of guys weren't ultimately ready to play come opening day. At least some of that has to be pinned on the manager and coaches.

• russsnyder likes this

#162 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,499 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

Why is the onus on us?

Because that is your argument.

@DJ_McCann

#163 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

I always felt that after the Jimenez fiasco, Buck lost the clubhouse.

And let's face it... last year a lot of guys weren't ultimately ready to play come opening day. At least some of that has to be pinned on the manager and coaches.

I agree.

It was a bitter loss and IMO even having Jimenez on the roster much less being used in a high leverage situation was difficult for Buck to overcome.

That team was "dead man walking" from the get go.The worst part about was that the team did not compete. Buck and DD had to go.

#164 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

I agree.

It was a bitter loss and IMO even having Jimenez on the roster much less being used in a high leverage situation was difficult for Buck to overcome.

That team was "dead man walking" from the get go.The worst part about was that the team did not compete. Buck and DD had to go.

Ubaldo had a 2.82 ERA in the second half of 2016.  He was one of their more reliable pitchers down the stretch.  You can complain about using him before Britton, or about not pulling him once he got into trouble, but I don't understand complaints about his being on the roster.

#165 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

Ubaldo had a 2.82 ERA in the second half of 2016. He was one of their more reliable pitchers down the stretch. You can complain about using him before Britton, or about not pulling him once he got into trouble, but I don't understand complaints about his being on the roster.

The only way he should have been on the roster was if he was starting the game. Worley was the much better choice to be on the roster IMO. Yes, Ubaldo pitched better during the second half but his overall numbers ( primarily as a starter) were 5.44 era, 79 era plus, and a whip of 1.56. In comparison, Worley's numbers ( primary in relief) were 3.35 ERA,Era plus of 122, Whip of 1.377. Worley was much better suited for the relief role. However, having Jimenez on the roster allowed Buck to outsmart himself after managing his bullpen very well up to that point. I think it was a poor roster move whether he used Ubaldo or not.

#166 weird-O

weird-O

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

Ubaldo had a 2.82 ERA in the second half of 2016.  He was one of their more reliable pitchers down the stretch.  You can complain about using him before Britton, or about not pulling him once he got into trouble, but I don't understand complaints about his being on the roster.

Hmmm...the very popular, "UJ pitched well down the stretch" defense. That's akin to a friend coming to your house, getting drunk and punching a huge hole in your wall. Then he comes back the next day and gives you a Justin Bieber poster to over it up. It doesn't make up for the damage. I don't know your opinion of Buck, and I'm not accusing you of being a Buck apologist. But that "down the stretch" argument was the exact same excuse Buck made for putting him on the WC roster. But here's what that excuse ignores, his performance in the first 4.5 months of the season. If UJ had been a remotely reliable pitcher, the O's may have been able to swing 4-5 more wins, and perhaps take the division. At the very least, a reliable 6 month pitcher would have easily given at least one more win to the O's, and that WC game would have been played at home. 

But let's toss all that aside, and just look at the stats that show just how terrible of an idea it was to put UJ on the roster. If you look at his splits by innings for 2016, the first inning was his biggest weakness. In 25 starts, his 1st inning ERA was 7.77, the highest of any inning. As a reliever that year, he had an 8.71 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP. Now, I'm not saying all this to point out the apoplexy of putting him in instead of Britton. We all agree on that one. I'm mentioning all this to say, unless Buck was giving him the start, all UJ's stats screamed, "DON"T USE THIS GUY IN RELIEF". That's why he shouldn't have been on the roster for that game. He was notorious for needing an inning or two to settle into a game. That's not the guy you wanted to see jogging in from the BP, even if the team had a multi run lead at the time.    

• BSLSteveBirrer, bmore_ken and russsnyder like this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners