#81 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:30 AM

Interesting, but he obviously knows his roster much better than we do. Tells me he's either been impressed with some of the younger defensive linemen in camp, or unimpressed with his younger offensive linemen.

@BSLZackKiesel

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

Interesting, but he obviously knows his roster much better than we do. Tells me he's either been impressed with some of the younger defensive linemen in camp, or unimpressed with his younger offensive linemen.

I think that's a logical conclusion... and that he also wants to make sure the RB's have a line in-front of them that works (and keeps the QBs up-right)...  still, you've lost McLean, Spence, now Fontaine, and Gaddy...  concerning to me from the outside.

#83 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,982 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

I think that's a logical conclusion... and that he also wants to make sure the RB's have a line in-front of them that works (and keeps the QBs up-right)...  still, you've lost McLean, Spence, now Fontaine, and Gaddy...  concerning to me from the outside.

The article quoted Locksley as saying he likes the run-blocking he's seen, but not the pass protection. That's pretty much been the  M.O. for that unit for the past few years. Still, with their record of getting QB's injured, you don't want to take unnecessary chances, so I can see trying to improve wherever a solution might be available. But robbing Peter to pay Paul comes back to bite you sooner or later.

The D-line was always going to be a question mark heading into the season with the loss of 3 starters in Aniebonam, Cowart and Tanyi. Now factor in the 4 you mentioned and it looks really bleak. Maybe Hoke has some sort of grand scheme that doesn't require more than one or two big guys up front? Or maybe Locksley got too used to life at Alabama and he thinks great defensive lineman grow on trees? I don't know....it's one of those questions I'd like to hear someone in the media ask him, just to be reassured he actually has a plan for that side of the ball. They've been getting steamrolled for years by the better teams in the Big Ten, and I don't see how you improve on that by switching your best DL recruits to the other side of the ball.

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:01 PM

Balt Sun: A role player his first two seasons, Maryland running back Javon Leake seems ready for star turn

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

PressBox: Virginia Tech Transfer Josh Jackson Eyeing Starting QB Job At Maryland
https://www.pressbox...job-at-maryland

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:54 AM

Washington Post: Sean Savoy is closer to home with Maryland football. The other movement doesn’t matter.

#87 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

Something that hasn't received much attention is the way Locksley runs his practices. I heard him say it's essentially a replica of what Nick Saban does at Alabama where you split your team up and have the first, second, and third teams all running full-speed at the same time. The goal is to get the third-string players just as much practice time as the first-stringers without any standing around. The problem he's encountered at Maryland is that he's got a lot fewer players in camp than he did in Tuscaloosa.

Due to the large number of walk-ons that Saban brings in for camps, he can run these types of practices easier. It's going to take some time to build up those numbers here in College Park, which is probably why you see so much shifting around. There have been a number of nagging camp injuries along the offensive line, making it impossible to form 2 full lines, much less 3.

The Terps are holding walk-on tryouts on the 26th, which should bring a few more bodies in.

@BSLZackKiesel

#88 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

The third season of Netflix's "QB1: Beyond the Lights" was released early this morning. It profiles Terps freshman QB Lance LeGendre's senior high school season, along with Oklahoma's Spencer Rattler and Kentucky's Nik Scalzo. If you haven't seen the series before, it's fantastic and extremely well done. Worth watching regardless, but I'm really looking forward to watching LeGendre after his roller coaster recruitment.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#89 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

Since Durkin arrived, they have held this tryouts twice a year. No player has been selected from this tryouts. Most tryouts

haven't had any attendees.....I am sure these tryouts have gone on longer just don't know they history prior to Durkin....

and there are differences between these type of walk-on VS PWO's that sometimes aren't attractive to some

#90 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,982 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

The walk-on market is much like scholarship recruiting. There's a pecking order. A blue blood program like Alabama is going to attract a larger, and better, pool of Rudy-wannabes than Maryland. Far more guys are willing to play that role to say they were part of a team that could win a title than one that will be fortunate just to be in a bowl game.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#91 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

Saw some reports on Twitter today that Jackson and Pigrome are splitting first-team QB reps evenly. Locksley said he may wait until the 26th to make a call on his starter for the Howard game on the 31st. He specifically singled out Pigrome as having an excellent camp.

Additionally, Bortenschlager has suffered a stress fracture in his leg and will be out for 2 months. DeSue and LeGendre will compete for that 3rd string job.

@BSLZackKiesel

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

Competition is a good thing.

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

Balt Sun: Maryland’s Chance Campbell, a Calvert Hall grad, looking more the part as sophomore season approaches
https://www.baltimor...2uyi-story.html

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

IMS: Five non-QB position battles that still need settled
https://247sports.co...14l2NerUUMVo1zc

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Washington Post: In search of depth, Maryland’s offensive line leans on newcomers and converted defenders

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

Soph LB Durell Nchami out for the year with an ACL per IMS. 

“A blow to us because of depth, that’s a big concern for us. We’ve got a really strong core group of players, but our depth is an issue. So again, we’ve got to continue to find ways to keep our guys healthy and it’s a shame because he was actually playing really well, really taken the next step,” Locksley said. "We expect [Nchami] to fully recover once he had the surgery.”

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,457 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

Balt Sun: In rebuilding Maryland, Mike Locksley aims to build talent and depth at long-suffering position — quarterback

#98 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

Former Maryland quarterback Kasim Hill is heading to Tennessee. He started 10 games last year before tearing his ACL. He announced he had entered his name in the transfer portal back in February.

• BSLChrisStoner and ShoNuff07 like this

#99 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

Former Maryland quarterback Kasim Hill is heading to Tennessee. He started 10 games last year before tearing his ACL. He announced he had entered his name in the transfer portal back in February.

Wish him nothing but the best in SEC Country.

#100 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:26 AM

DB Raymond Boone has left the program.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users