http://wnst.net/balt...pring-training/

#2 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:17 AM

This a very thoughtful article from WNST - something I don't really remember seeing from them in recent memory. 

The comment about Sisco seems a little overstated - he's 24, not 28. 

The comment about Stewart imo is right on.  There is definite promise here, he just needs to get comfortable and maybe find consistency. 

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:37 AM

As much as I loved the Elias hire and have liked what I’ve seen from Brandon Hyde so far, where are the marketing efforts and ticket promotions for a team that has very little to sell from a competitive standpoint? There needs to be much greater urgency in this area.

Good point.

#4 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

This a very thoughtful article from WNST - something I don't really remember seeing from them in recent memory. 

The comment about Sisco seems a little overstated - he's 24, not 28. 

The comment about Stewart imo is right on.  There is definite promise here, he just needs to get comfortable and maybe find consistency. 

I agree, much better than the lame Sun article which just used a few hundred words to say absolutely nothing. 

More to the point: what would be an acceptable W-L record for the team this year? In 2008 you'll recall we had zero expectations after trading Tejada and Bedard, but wound up hovering around .500 for most of the year before that infamous September collapse. Still avoided 100 losses though. I'd like to see us avoid 100 losses this year too.

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

I just got this e-mail from the Orioles.  I'm guessing season tickets must be way, way down.  They really should have had better promotions.  If there was ever a year for a holiday pack of tickets, for example, this was it.

I understand that during the 2018 Season here at Oriole Park, you purchased multiple games and tickets through www.orioles.com.  I hope and trust your experiences were memorable.  I welcome any feedback you may have!

Note that when you purchase tickets in that fashion you are subject to the highest ticket price and online fees.  As part of the Ticketing and Fan Services Department, it is my responsibility to see that our fans are afforded top quality service as well as the most valuable ticket offers possible.

We are excited about many new promotions, Group discounts and a long list of benefits under the Birdland Membership program.  If you are interested in discussing a 13game, 29game, or Full Season membership, OR a Group Outing of 15+ tickets, a Suite rental for as low as $1,000, a Pregame Party, Premium Tickets, or anything else ticket related, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.  I encourage you to at least consider a 13game plan, if you are considering multiple events again this upcoming season.  Take a look at the list of benefits under the Orange Membership Level at www.orioles.com/ocp

Thank you for your time and Go O’s!

• sandiegosean likes this

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:18 AM

They said Sisco was 24. The 28 was in referene to Wynns.

Ready to see the O's move on from Wright. Stuff doesn't cut it. Got to use that stuff and make it work. He hasn't at least not yet.

Ready to see if Davis can actually contribute at least at some level.

Ready for baseball!

#7 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

They said Sisco was 24. The 28 was in referene to Wynns.

Ready to see the O's move on from Wright. Stuff doesn't cut it. Got to use that stuff and make it work. He hasn't at least not yet.

Ready to see if Davis can actually contribute at least at some level.

Ready for baseball!

I don't know if this is in reference to my post - but I was making the comment that the Sisco comment was a bit too panicky.  This isn't his make or break year. 

• Mackus likes this

#8 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:32 PM

I agree, much better than the lame Sun article which just used a few hundred words to say absolutely nothing. 

More to the point: what would be an acceptable W-L record for the team this year? In 2008 you'll recall we had zero expectations after trading Tejada and Bedard, but wound up hovering around .500 for most of the year before that infamous September collapse. Still avoided 100 losses though. I'd like to see us avoid 100 losses this year too.

Honestly, the record this year isn't the point - the real point is to develop players and play good baseball.  There is going to have to be a huge flip in order to get .500 from a bunch of players, and alot of luck. 

Instead, what you want to see is a shift in peripherals, and to see how well philosophies are taking shape.  

Are we seeing better defense?  Are we seeing the pitchers simplifying and adjusting their windups, angles of release, etc, to produce higher spin rates, more movement and throwing more off speed pitches. 

Are the batters able to utilize the strike zone better by integrating analytics into their approaches against pitchers?  How do they adapt to the changes to the organization? 

Who gets traded? Who gets to the show? 

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

I don't know if this is in reference to my post - but I was making the comment that the Sisco comment was a bit too panicky.  This isn't his make or break year. 

Ok I see how you intended it. I disagree though. There is nobody keeping Sisco off the everyday lineup right now so if he isn't it indicates he doesn't have the stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners