31 replies to this topic

#21 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,234 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

Well the Oscars was predictably a bore but it was pretty surprising to see Green Book win, and Olivia Coleman win over Glenn Close.

Spike Lee's antics were also interesting. There's a guy who cares too much about the awards, but it's also kinda cool that he does.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#22 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,527 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:11 AM

I liked not having a host. It was over by 11:20 which must be some kind of record. Less filler the better.

Olivia Coleman winning and her speech was the best part of the night. I would've been happy if 5/8 Best Picture nominees would've won, oh well.

#23 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,234 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

I liked not having a host. It was over by 11:20 which must be some kind of record. Less filler the better.

Olivia Coleman winning and her speech was the best part of the night. I would've been happy if 5/8 Best Picture nominees would've won, oh well.

There were sooooo many commercial breaks. For all the talk about shortening the show there must've been close to 90 mins of commercials.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

I didn't miss a host at all. I could have even done with losing the three ladies at the start telling lame jokes.

Actually, I would've been most happy if Brian May had just done guitar solos the whole three hours.

#25 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,234 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

Man, people are really freaking out over Green Book winning.

I think Roma or Black Klansman should have won, but people upset over this should be upset with the voting system, which allows for this kind of "safe movie" to win. If it was consistently ranked in people's top 3, while the other 2 movies fluctuated among voters, Green Book is your winner.

#26 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:01 PM

Man, people are really freaking out over Green Book winning.

I think Roma or Black Klansman should have won, but people upset over this should be upset with the voting system, which allows for this kind of "safe movie" to win. If it was ranked in people's top 3, while the other 2 movies fluctuated among voters, Green Book is your winner.

Apparently the LA times tweeted that GB iis the worst best picture winner in over 20 years.

@BSLRobShields

#27 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,234 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Apparently the LA times tweeted that GB iis the worst best picture winner in over 20 years.

That's BS media sensationalism. I think Green Book is better than The Artist, The King's Speech, Crash, Chicago and A Beautiful Mind.

#28 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

That's BS media sensationalism. I think Green Book is better than The Artist, The King's Speech, Crash, Chicago and A Beautiful Mind.

Or it's like an opinion.

#29 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,527 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

I only have Crash and The Artist behind it but I respect the craft in The Artist more.

#30 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,527 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:29 PM

I think Roma or Black Klansman should have won, but people upset over this should be upset with the voting system, which allows for this kind of "safe movie" to win. If it was consistently ranked in people's top 3, while the other 2 movies fluctuated among voters, Green Book is your winner.

Yeah I think it’s time for them to go back to 5 nominees and/or at least get rid of the preferential ballot.

#31 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,234 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:32 PM

I might even put Green Book over The Shape of Water, too.

#32 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:55 PM

This looks like an interesting documentary on the history of the actual Green Book, and it's streaming on the Smithsonian Channel.

https://www.theroot....es-a-1832866861

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners