31 replies to this topic

#1 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,573 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:50 PM

Here are my thoughts and rankings of the Best Picture nominees.

https://www.baltimor...eview-part-one/

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLChrisBacon and BSLMikeRandall like this

@PhelanToTweet

#2 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,573 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:12 PM

Part Two: Predictions and My Ballot

https://www.baltimor...eview-part-two/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLChrisBacon like this

@PhelanToTweet

#3 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

I have not seen The Favourite, Green Book or Vice.

So far, A Star is Born left me with the biggest impression and I think Cooper deserves the Best Actor over Malek, even though Malek is really good in Bohemian Rhapsody, unlike Malek, Cooper sings in his role.

All that said, very weak year for movies.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 107,714 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

Saw Mike DeCourcy (Sporting News, College Basketball) say this on Facebook: 

This year marks the 35th consecutive year of my annual quest to see all nominated Best Pictures before Oscar Night. This was, by miles, the worst year ever for nominations in a year that was reasonably good for film. A Quiet Place, Eighth Grade and, the year's best movie, Leave No Trace, could have strengthened the list and made it quite good. Instead, we have mostly flaws and mediocrity.

The rankings:

1. BlacKkKlansman. That Spike Lee was never nominated for films like Do The Right Thing, Malcolm X and 25th Hour is a joke. This is not his very best but it's the one truly excellent film nominated. It won't win, but it's the only one that deserves an Oscar.
2. Green Book. I wanted to hate it given all I'd read in advance about its flaws. But it moved me.
3. A Star is Born. I did hate the 70s version. It was horrid. This was fresh, well-acted, engaging. And the music was great.
4. Black Panther. Understand, I hate superhero movies. I thought this was inventive, entertaining and light on the destruction that is most about showing off CGI. 
5. The Favourite. An interesting movie in search of a soul. And a proper ending.
6. Roma. It literally took Deb and I 3-4 sittings to get through it. Nicely shot, but the first 75-90 minutes are a colossal bore. The last half-hour or so are very moving. This will win, and rank with the poorest films ever to do so. 
7. Vice. It makes you think, and is one of the cleverest uses of film that I've seen. But it feels almost like vengeance more than enlightenment or entertainment. 
8. Bohemian Rhapsody. It was fine. Worth your time if you like the music. But there's nothing that would suggest it belongs near Best Picture.

• Ricker Says and BSLSeanJester like this

#5 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

2016 and 2007 are the two years that stand out as the best years for movies, for me.

What year did The Artist win and The King's Speech? Both weak Best Picture winners.

Crash over Brokeback Mountain and Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan still baffles me.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:26 AM

Best Actor should be Bradley Cooper or Christian Bale. Malek didn't even sing in Bohemian Rhapsody.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#7 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

Best Actor should be Bradley Cooper or Christian Bale. Malek didn't even sing in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Well, there's no point in trying to sing like Mercury if you can't imitate him, so that doesn't bug me as much. He still did a tremendous job in the role.

#8 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,573 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

Saw Mike DeCourcy (Sporting News, College Basketball) say this on Facebook:

This year marks the 35th consecutive year of my annual quest to see all nominated Best Pictures before Oscar Night. This was, by miles, the worst year ever for nominations in a year that was reasonably good for film. A Quiet Place, Eighth Grade and, the year's best movie, Leave No Trace, could have strengthened the list and made it quite good. Instead, we have mostly flaws and mediocrity.

The rankings:

1. BlacKkKlansman. That Spike Lee was never nominated for films like Do The Right Thing, Malcolm X and 25th Hour is a joke. This is not his very best but it's the one truly excellent film nominated. It won't win, but it's the only one that deserves an Oscar.
2. Green Book. I wanted to hate it given all I'd read in advance about its flaws. But it moved me.
3. A Star is Born. I did hate the 70s version. It was horrid. This was fresh, well-acted, engaging. And the music was great.
4. Black Panther. Understand, I hate superhero movies. I thought this was inventive, entertaining and light on the destruction that is most about showing off CGI.
5. The Favourite. An interesting movie in search of a soul. And a proper ending.
6. Roma. It literally took Deb and I 3-4 sittings to get through it. Nicely shot, but the first 75-90 minutes are a colossal bore. The last half-hour or so are very moving. This will win, and rank with the poorest films ever to do so.
7. Vice. It makes you think, and is one of the cleverest uses of film that I've seen. But it feels almost like vengeance more than enlightenment or entertainment.
8. Bohemian Rhapsody. It was fine. Worth your time if you like the music. But there's nothing that would suggest it belongs near Best Picture.

I definitely agree with his opening paragraph. We obviously differ a bit in our rankings but can understand his feelings on each.

Here are my Best Picture winners ranked (haven’t thought about this list in a year so I may feel slightly different about some of these placements): https://letterboxd.c...winners-ranked/
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@PhelanToTweet

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 107,714 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

I definitely agree with his opening paragraph. We obviously differ a bit in our rankings but can understand his feelings on each.

Here are my Best Picture winners ranked (haven’t thought about this list in a year so I may feel slightly different about some of these placements): https://letterboxd.c...winners-ranked/

Looks like The Last Emperor is missing?

#10 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,573 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

Looks like The Last Emperor is missing?

Haven’t seen it. Worth catching up on?

@PhelanToTweet

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 107,714 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

Haven't seen in a long time... but remember seeing it at the movies when it came out... great visually. Interesting story.

#12 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,081 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:33 PM

I have not seen The Favourite, Green Book or Vice.

So far, A Star is Born left me with the biggest impression and I think Cooper deserves the Best Actor over Malek, even though Malek is really good in Bohemian Rhapsody, unlike Malek, Cooper sings in his role.

All that said, very weak year for movies.

I have to say, becasue I'm a comic fan, I love Marvel and the Marvel Universe, so I loved Black Panther, but how in the world of Donald Trump is this up for best picture?!  

Loved A Star is Born.  Loved Bohemian Rhapsody.  I really want to see Green Book, but fear it's a snorefest with awesome acting and a great message, so I haven't streamed it yet.  However, none of the other 3 movies deserve "Best Picture"....yep...a pretty shitty year for movies honestly in terms of the ART of cinema...

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#13 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:06 AM

The Last Emperor is a great film for it's overall cinematography and story-line. If you can watch the Criterion Collection version do so. Here's a 2009 review of the edition.

https://www.comingso...rion-collection

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 107,714 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

The Ringer: The Oscars: 24 Predictions and 24 Useful Observations

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,613 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

I predict that a lot of people who think they are way more important than they are will try to shove their political and social views down everyone's throats.  

@BSLRobShields

#16 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

I saw Green Book last night. I know it’s caught in the middle of several controversies but I enjoyed it. The acting from the leads is great, especially Ali. As for the historical inaccuracies, it says it’s “inspired by a true story” so that right there should give it some freedom with artistic liberties. I left the theater feeling good about what I saw and isn’t that what a good movie should do? It’s actually probably one of the best three or so films I’ve seen this year.

Going to watch The Favourite today at some point.

#17 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:08 AM

I predict that a lot of people who think they are way more important than they are will try to shove their political and social views down everyone's throats.  

The potential for the show to be a train wreck on all levels is high. I’ll be tuning in for that alone.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#18 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,573 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:52 AM

I saw Green Book last night. I know it’s caught in the middle of several controversies but I enjoyed it. The acting from the leads is great, especially Ali. As for the historical inaccuracies, it says it’s “inspired by a true story” so that right there should give it some freedom with artistic liberties. I left the theater feeling good about what I saw and isn’t that what a good movie should do? It’s actually probably one of the best three or so films I’ve seen this year.

Going to watch The Favourite today at some point.

Yeah, its fine. Succeeds at what its going for. But to me that still leaves it far short of being considered for Best Picture.

@PhelanToTweet

#19 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,670 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

I won't mind checking out Green Book, but Roma looks like a bore to me, so I'm glad I don't have to check that one out. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#20 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

I won't mind checking out Green Book, but Roma looks like a bore to me, so I'm glad I don't have to check that one out. 

It's very slow but has some great camerawork and cinematography. And there are some moving moments. A friend was watching it yesterday, I told them "Good luck."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners