107 replies to this topic

#101 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

The Red Sox DFA'd Blake Swihart - do the O's claim him?

#102 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,817 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

Nope, we've got enough middle aged catchers with limited future.  I'm content to stick with Sucre/Severino until Sisco & Wynns are healthy and deserving of a roster spot.

#103 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

Swihart's actually a year younger than Wynns, but I'm not sure about his defense - he played a bunch of positions last year, but I don't know if he played any well.  The O's may just decide to stick with Severino/Alberto.

Still, Swihart is a switch hitter, has played OF, IF, and C, and was a top prospect a few years ago, so the O's might decide that he's a good fit on the roster.  They still have the #1 waiver position for a couple more weeks, although I think another team could work out a trade first.

#104 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

It is an interesting question.  I like utility players, who can catch, and that is what I think Swihart is.    It is also what I think Sisco will become.   I don't think the Orioles claim him, mainly because they do not seem to want to move away from Ruiz or Alberto, and I think they would be the most likely to be cut on the next claim.

I think the Orioles really like the work, Sucre and Severino do behind the plate.  Both are good defensively and throw the hell out of the ball.

Swihart, is not in their class, defensively, which is why Boston is going back to Leon.

@mikeghg

#105 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, at first I was thinking Swihart would replace Severno, but it would probably be Alberto.  Alberto has played SS, though, so maybe that counts in his favor and cancels out Swihart's ability to catch.  Alberto is about six months younger than Swihart.

I'd hold on to Ruiz for sure.

#106 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Ugh.  

#107 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:24 PM

Wynns was just optioned to AAA from his AA rehab assignment, so now the O's have Sisco, Perez, and Wynns at Norfolk - not a lot of room for another catcher.

#108 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

Roch says he expects the O's are trying trade Perez but if they don't find a trade partner, they will just outright him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners