107 replies to this topic

#41 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

Doubt it If he's hitting below the Mendoza line by the end of May. the guys that would have kept him are no longer in the dugout or front office

Gattis line.

#42 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

with Davis' current year money (eat the deferred) for 2 prospects outside of the other teams top15 and a third guy outside the top 30? 

for the sake of the discussion, you have to move Davis' money to sign Goldy.

No one is trading for Chris Davis

#43 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Doubt it If he's hitting below the Mendoza line by the end of May. the guys that would have kept him are no longer in the dugout or front office

Exactly.

The only way Davis finishes his contract ( or comes close) is if he can be somewhat productive at the plate.

Let's see what happens.

#44 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

No is trading for Chris Davis

They might if they dropped some acid.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#45 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

They might if they dropped some acid.

They would have to do a boat load :cool: 

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,817 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:13 PM

No is trading for Chris Davis

hey might if they dropped some acid.

The trade dude outlined for Davis approaches being reasonable and is the type of thing we'd need to do in order to get rid of him. 

It's not trading Davis as much as it is selling Mancini and Hall for $68M, the team that gets Davis probably releases him as soon as they acquire him.  He's just a big pile of debt, he's not a player at this point.  Someone might take on a portion of that debt if we provide enough assets to make it worth their while.   I don't think Hall and Mancini are worth $68M, so I doubt any team takes the bait, but it's in the ballpark.

#47 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:54 PM

The trade dude outlined for Davis approaches being reasonable and is the type of thing we'd need to do in order to get rid of him. 

It's not trading Davis as much as it is selling Mancini and Hall for $68M, the team that gets Davis probably releases him as soon as they acquire him.  He's just a big pile of debt, he's not a player at this point.  Someone might take on a portion of that debt if we provide enough assets to make it worth their while.   I don't think Hall and Mancini are worth $68M, so I doubt any team takes the bait, but it's in the ballpark.

It's MLB, so anything is possible. I just don't see it.

#48 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

It's not trading Davis as much as it is selling Mancini and Hall for $68M, the team that gets Davis probably releases him as soon as they acquire him. He's just a big pile of debt, he's not a player at this point. Someone might take on a portion of that debt if we provide enough assets to make it worth their while. I don't think Hall and Mancini are worth $68M, so I doubt any team takes the bait, but it's in the ballpark.

Just having a bit of fun.

I think Davis is DFAed before he is moved with other assets as a salary dump.

I have no issue with Dude or his trade scenarios.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#49 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

No one is trading for Chris Davis

Just out of curiosity, do you understand why I posted that question?

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,817 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

To trick people into saying they (aka the O's) would turn down a trade that the other team would never accept because they are getting rogered.

:)
  • bmore_ken likes this

#51 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

I'll admit that I rarely understand your reasoning for anything you post.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,817 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:04 PM

I can't imagine how much fun it'd be to have Paul Goldschmidt. Guy just hits all the time.

#53 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,150 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

I can't imagine how much fun it'd be to have Paul Goldschmidt. Guy just hits all the time.

Doesn’t mean he will after he age of 32
@BSLRobShields

#54 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

It's a parallel to the STL trade thought.  It's a little more difficult to conceptualize since the Cards and Orioles are in different spots, but the foundation of the "why" in that trade is exactly what the Cardinals are looking at.

Reyes/Martinez/Wacha/Fowler/Gyorko for [not top prospects]

is

Hall/Mancini/Cashner/Davis(68) for [not top prospects]

The Cardinals are a competitive team and traded for Goldy with the intent (most likely) on extending him . 

Most of the discussion suggests they are at/near a payroll limit.

Without finding ways to dump cash, they may not be able to extend him.

They could probably do something like 5/140.  Pay him a 20M SB (basically Gyorko's money) and then 20M per (Fowler is 14.5) and put the rest in team option buyout and deferred.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,817 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

I know it's not the point, but I think 5/$140M (especially if $20M is deferred) is low for Goldy. $28M AAV sounds right, but not for only 5 years.

I'd have guessed that Manny and Harper would've easily gotten 10 years though (and I suppose they still could), so maybe I'm way off on Goldschmidt as well.

#56 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

I know it's not the point, but I think 5/$140M (especially if $20M is deferred) is low for Goldy. $28M AAV sounds right, but not for only 5 years.

I'd have guessed that Manny and Harper would've easily gotten 10 years though (and I suppose they still could), so maybe I'm way off on Goldschmidt as well.

I don't think you are. I think if those 10 year deals were out there, they'd be done already. I mean ST has already started. Unless of course the Nats offer is still on the table for Harper.

#57 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,150 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:55 PM

I don't think you are. I think if those 10 year deals were out there, they'd be done already. I mean ST has already started. Unless of course the Nats offer is still on the table for Harper.

Harper is about to get one from the looks of everything.
@BSLRobShields

#58 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

Not that it matters, but Goldschmidt hits the market at 32.  A 5 year deal takes him 1-2 years beyond a 10 year deals for Manny/Bryce.

If you are happy in STL...and it's a great baseball town...and they put any significant offer on the table..no idea why he wouldn't hang out.

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,817 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

They could probably do something like 5/140.  Pay him a 20M SB (basically Gyorko's money) and then 20M per (Fowler is 14.5) and put the rest in team option buyout and deferred.

The dude abides on this one, looks like.

What a freaking steal for the Cardinals.

• jkough1 likes this

#60 mdrunning

mdrunning

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:58 PM

The dude abides on this one, looks like.

What a freaking steal for the Cardinals.

Another case, I would think, of a player accepting a relatively underwhelming extension rather than face the uncertainty of free agency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners