Photo

BSL: 2019 O's: Things I’m Interested In (Part 2, Players on the Verge of Joining)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 105,288 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

BSL: 2019 Baltimore Orioles: Things I’m Interested In (Part 2)

• BSLRobShields likes this

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

For me, the second most important thing about this season (given what it is) is figuring out if Mountcastle is a 3B.

If he is, great.

If he's not - and you still want/need the bat - then allow him to be a versatile DH that can fill in at 2B, SS, 3B and LF/RF.  If this is the path, get him mentally/physically adjusted to that role at AAA.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 105,288 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

I don't know that it's the 2nd most important thing, but it's up there. 

He just can't be a butcher / liability. 

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,382 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

I think there is enough decent young talent in camp that will end up either with the big team or in the upper minors to keep things interesting and worth tuning in each night.  

I don't think there are really any potential stars, only a few guys project as regulars even if things go well for them, but there is some depth and quantity.  

I don't want to get into a situation where the team is giving out opportunities to any young player who hasn't earned it through performance and doing what's asked of them, though.  I'll lose my mind if Austin Hays makes the opening day roster, for example.  Players should need to show something in the minors before coming up.  Not necessarily to hit any statistical benchmarks, but to accomplish the things they are working on down there.  And if they struggle and need to go back down (or struggle once back down there), I'd like to see them start performing again before bringing them up and throwing them into the mix. 

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 105,288 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:46 AM

I think there is enough decent young talent in camp that will end up either with the big team or in the upper minors to keep things interesting and worth tuning in each night.  

I don't think there are really any potential stars, only a few guys project as regulars even if things go well for them, but there is some depth and quantity.  

I don't want to get into a situation where the team is giving out opportunities to any young player who hasn't earned it through performance and doing what's asked of them, though.  I'll lose my mind if Austin Hays makes the opening day roster, for example.  Players should need to show something in the minors before coming up.  Not necessarily to hit any statistical benchmarks, but to accomplish the things they are working on down there.  And if they struggle and need to go back down (or struggle once back down there), I'd like to see them start performing again before bringing them up and throwing them into the mix. 

If Hays 2018 season hadn't happened, would you lose your mind if he made the roster? 

(Yeah, it was horrible and most importantly did happen... but there is at-least some reason to believe he wasn't right throughout.) 

That said, I agree with the overall points. 

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,382 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

If Hays 2018 season hadn't happened, would you lose your mind if he made the roster? 

No.  It'd think it was a mistake unless his approach in ST reflected a less swing-happy approach, but he was much closer to earning a roster spot last Spring than he is this Spring.  He went backwards, very far backwards, last year.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 105,288 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

No.  It'd think it was a mistake unless his approach in ST reflected a less swing-happy approach, but he was much closer to earning a roster spot last Spring than he is this Spring.  He went backwards, very far backwards, last year.

Yeah, I just think it was a lost year.  Don't think he was ever right.  

I think it would be prudent for him to go back to the Minors, produce, and earn his way back... but if he's now healthy, and he looks like his '17 self, I certainly won't lose my mind if he comes North right away.

#8 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:18 PM

I find it interesting the Orioles kept their hitting coaches at AAA and AA but got new coaches that coached successful JUCO and college programs at Short-A and Low A ball.  The bulk of the positional talent is in AA and AAA right now like Hays so this is clearly a move for developing future draft picks and international amateur talent.

Also Jeff Manto returns as the hitting coordinator.  

Crowley was not asked back as a roving instructor, so perhaps that also might have been some of the problem as there's no way he'd be up on or willing to incorporate analytics.

And lets not forget Brady was always floating around "fixing" players too.

With seemingly defined roles and fresh faces, the Orioles will hopefully adapt a much more smart approach to hitting in their minors.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,025 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

I find it interesting the Orioles kept their hitting coaches at AAA and AA but got new coaches that coached successful JUCO and college programs at Short-A and Low A ball.

Crowley was not asked back, so perhaps that also might have been some of the problem as there's no way he'd be up on or willing to incorporate analytics.

Crow will be 72 on Saturday and has been reducing his availability for a few years.  I doubt whether there was much interest in his coming back.

@mikeghg

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,025 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:27 PM

I find it interesting the Orioles kept their hitting coaches at AAA and AA but got new coaches that coached successful JUCO and college programs at Short-A and Low A ball.  The bulk of the positional talent is in AA and AAA right now like Hays so this is clearly a move for developing future draft picks and international amateur talent.

Crowley was not asked back as a roving instructor, so perhaps that also might have been some of the problem as there's no way he'd be up on or willing to incorporate analytics.

And lets not forget Brady was always floating around "fixing" players too.

With seemingly defined roles and fresh faces, the Orioles will hopefully adapt a much more smart approach to hitting in their minors.

It is interesting that the Orioles are looking to college coaches.

I don't see it as an analytics thing though.  More of a teaching, instructor type thing.

Great opportunity for a JUCO coach though.   Nice out side the box thinking by Elias.

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

I wouldn't mess around with Mountcastle at third base very far into the season. If half way through he isn't making big progress then shift him to second and get on with it.

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

He just can't be a butcher / liability. 

For me, you need to decide how you want to win games (your approach).  The players you execute that with is your Plan.

If defense is going to be a hallmark of your approach, I'm not sure what Mountcastle can do to be an Good+ defender at 3B.

There's a lot more opportunity/consequence in the IF than the OF.  Even on routine plays in the infield you have to make your throw.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,361 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:17 PM

For me, you need to decide how you want to win games (your approach). The players you execute that with is your Plan.

If defense is going to be a hallmark of your approach, I'm not sure what Mountcastle can do to be an Good+ defender at 3B.

There's a lot more opportunity/consequence in the IF than the OF. Even on routine plays in the infield you have to make your throw.

You don’t have to be a slave to a plan though.

Not every guy is going to fit into the exact mold you want.
@BSLRobShields

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

You don’t have to be a slave to a plan though.

Not every guy is going to fit into the exact mold you want.

Fair enough, but if you want to give your pitchers confidence in pitching to contact, you better convert contact into outs.

SS and 3B are the places I wouldn't trade much defense away and there's actually a number of guys out there at 3B that have better defensive projections (agreed those are only worth so much today).

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,361 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:16 PM

Fair enough, but if you want to give your pitchers confidence in pitching to contact, you better convert contact into outs.

SS and 3B are the places I wouldn't trade much defense away and there's actually a number of guys out there at 3B that have better defensive projections (agreed those are only worth so much today).

I don’t disagree. For me, defense is very important for those positions and I wouldn’t want to sacrifice a ton there either.

Just saying, for that truly special bat, you could sacrifice if it’s not totally killing you.
@BSLRobShields

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,382 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

"defense is very important defensively"

:)

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,361 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

"defense is very important defensively"
:)

Lol...have no idea where that came from. Sounds like something Yogi said.
@BSLRobShields

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

Just saying, for that truly special bat, you could sacrifice if it’s not totally killing you.

My point continues to be you don't have to sacrifice 3B defense to add the bat.

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,361 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:09 PM

My point continues to be you don't have to sacrifice 3B defense to add the bat.

No, you don’t have to.

But your point, which goes back to Mancini, is still incorrect.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners