1358 replies to this topic

#841 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:57 PM

I'm not a big advocate of blaming the officials for a loss and certainly the Patriots had opportunities to make those calls non factors, but yeah those calls really added a lot for them to overcome.  The thing that I think the NFL really needs to change is the way they review scoring plays.  They review every scoring play, but they don't review plays that might have been scoring plays except that the officials called it differently.  Neal never stepped out and should have been given a TD.  But because the refs called him out they don't review it.  That's ridiculous.  And the Patriots couldn't challenge because they were out of challenges.  Even that was a joke because Belichick challenged the spot on an earlier play and they said the call on the field stands when it was clear the KC receiver never got to the 40.  I understand that they couldn't overturn the 1st down because it was close, but the Patriots were clearly right that he did not make the 40.  They should not have lost their challenge on that.  If that's the way the system is going to work I would just as well have them get rid of replay and say the officials are human and will make mistakes, deal with it.  

#842 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:10 PM

Rams up 21-9 on the Seahawks in the 3rd...

ESPN: 

The Seahawks are getting worked like it's Week 15 of the 2017 season. That's when the Rams beat them 42-7 in the worst loss of the Pete Carroll era. This game has the makings of a blowout as the Rams lead 21-3 at halftime after driving 75, 85 and 72 yards for touchdowns on three of their four possessions. Seattle has been hurt by two drops -- on third and fourth down -- and will be without Rashaad Penny the rest of the night. The Seahawks are a second-half team, but this hole looks awfully deep.

#843 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:35 PM

I'm not a big advocate of blaming the officials for a loss and certainly the Patriots had opportunities to make those calls non factors, but yeah those calls really added a lot for them to overcome.  The thing that I think the NFL really needs to change is the way they review scoring plays.  They review every scoring play, but they don't review plays that might have been scoring plays except that the officials called it differently.  Neal never stepped out and should have been given a TD.  But because the refs called him out they don't review it.  That's ridiculous.  And the Patriots couldn't challenge because they were out of challenges.  Even that was a joke because Belichick challenged the spot on an earlier play and they said the call on the field stands when it was clear the KC receiver never got to the 40.  I understand that they couldn't overturn the 1st down because it was close, but the Patriots were clearly right that he did not make the 40.  They should not have lost their challenge on that.  If that's the way the system is going to work I would just as well have them get rid of replay and say the officials are human and will make mistakes, deal with it.  

The lack of an outside threat is glaring for New England. What Kansas City largely did on defense was double-team both Edelman and James White, then send a blitzer to boot. It left the Chiefs short in coverage, but it also reduced Brady mostly to hot reads on receivers who struggle to get open. 

• cprenegade likes this

#844 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:01 PM

The lack of an outside threat is glaring for New England. What Kansas City largely did on defense was double-team both Edelman and James White, then send a blitzer to boot. It left the Chiefs short in coverage, but it also reduced Brady mostly to hot reads on receivers who struggle to get open. 

I think also their not being able to run the ball consistently is hurting them.  New England has never had any great RBs during their run, but they have always been able to run the ball.  This year it does not seem like their running game has the same impact.  That may be on the offensive line.  But I think that lack of reliability in their running game has hurt them as much as anything on the offensive side.  

#845 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:13 PM

I'm not a big advocate of blaming the officials for a loss and certainly the Patriots had opportunities to make those calls non factors, but yeah those calls really added a lot for them to overcome. 

I guess knocks the hell out of the old saw that the Patriots always get favorable treatment from the officials. :)

The call against Harry was brutal, and as you said, since he was ruled out of bounds, the play therefore wasn't a scoring play and consequently not subject to automatic review. Still it did give New England first-and-goal on the 4 and they couldn't cash in. A team playing for a first-round bye has to convert those opportunities. The Patriots have been lousy in the red zone all season.

#846 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:16 PM

Do agree.

Had to be frustrating for them not being able to challenge.

And that was prime example number one of why the NFL's approach the replay continues to be completely stupid.

If there's something that is clear and obvious on replay, that a mistake was made on the field with regard to in / out of bounds, possession, knee down, etc... and EVERYONE WATCHING knows within seconds because the broadcast managed to show us all a clear cut replay... JUST FIX IT.  Call down from the booth, stop play, and FIX IT.  Don't even bother with the goofiness of having the head ref go look on the screen himself, just tell them what the call should have been.

Unlimited review challenges... but if you're wrong you burn a timeout.  If you have no timeouts to use, or forego calling a timeout, then you get a 5 yard delay of game penalty.  Maybe after like 2 lost challenges it becomes a 10 yard penalty, or a 15 yard unsportsmanlike.  Whatever.  And it shouldn't matter how much time is left in the game, especially if you can't count on "the booth" to fix blatantly wrong calls.  The timeouts and/or delay of game penalties will serve as a deterrent to "abuse" of the challenge system.

I feel no sympathy specifically to the Patriots, as we've seen a LOT more games chock full of borderline calls that go their way more often than not... but it still serves as an example to the foolishness of the NFL replay "system".

• Mackus likes this

#847 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,647 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:42 AM

And that was prime example number one of why the NFL's approach the replay continues to be completely stupid.

If there's something that is clear and obvious on replay, that a mistake was made on the field with regard to in / out of bounds, possession, knee down, etc... and EVERYONE WATCHING knows within seconds because the broadcast managed to show us all a clear cut replay... JUST FIX IT. Call down from the booth, stop play, and FIX IT. Don't even bother with the goofiness of having the head ref go look on the screen himself, just tell them what the call should have been.

Unlimited review challenges... but if you're wrong you burn a timeout. If you have no timeouts to use, or forego calling a timeout, then you get a 5 yard delay of game penalty. Maybe after like 2 lost challenges it becomes a 10 yard penalty, or a 15 yard unsportsmanlike. Whatever. And it shouldn't matter how much time is left in the game, especially if you can't count on "the booth" to fix blatantly wrong calls. The timeouts and/or delay of game penalties will serve as a deterrent to "abuse" of the challenge system.

I feel no sympathy specifically to the Patriots, as we've seen a LOT more games chock full of borderline calls that go their way more often than not... but it still serves as an example to the foolishness of the NFL replay "system".

This is a great opinion except I don't think you go far enough. Just eliminate challenges. Make everything a booth review.

#848 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

I guess knocks the hell out of the old saw that the Patriots always get favorable treatment from the officials. :)

It was like 19 years of many critical calls in their favor had to be reversed in just one game!   :eek:

#849 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

Rams are playing well.  I'm going to be really annoyed when the Vikings go 11-5 and miss the playoffs but the 7-9 Cowboys make it.

#850 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,935 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:29 PM

The Ringer: Saints-49ers Was the Game of the Season—and Maybe an NFC Championship Preview

The Ringer: The Winners and Losers of NFL Week 14

#851 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

It was like 19 years of many critical calls in their favor had to be reversed in just one game!   :eek:

I think it's like the Yankees in that it's a love 'em or hate 'em relationship. If you hate the Patriots, it just seems like every critical call, every spot of the ball, and every bounce goes their way. Just like the Yankees. If you're rooting like hell for them to lose, they seem to get every close call, every borderline pitch is called in their favor, and every rinky-dink hit drops in. 

Over the course of a long season, the breaks tend to even out. It's just that good teams take better advantage.

#852 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,124 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:52 PM

The lowly Giants are leading the Eagles 17-3 at halftime. This seems like as good a time as any to mention that a scenario exists where Dallas could lose all three of their remaining games, including the game at Philly, and still win the NFC LEast. That would mean they would be in the playoffs, and would host a game, as a 6-10 team on a 6 game losing streak.

I think it's time for the NFL and NBA to get together and come up with good playoff re-seeding plans for both leagues.

• Mike B likes this

#853 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,475 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

The lowly Giants are leading the Eagles 17-3 at halftime. This seems like as good a time as any to mention that a scenario exists where Dallas could lose all three of their remaining games, including the game at Philly, and still win the NFC LEast. That would mean they would be in the playoffs, and would host a game, as a 6-10 team on a 6 game losing streak.

I think it's time for the NFL and NBA to get together and come up with good playoff re-seeding plans for both leagues.

It does seem silly that a team with a 7 or 8 win season host a 11-12 win team

@mikeghg

#854 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,935 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:57 PM

CBS Sports: NFL Week 15 Power Rankings: Ryan Tannehill lifts Titans into top 10, Patriots and Saints fall out of top 5
https://www.cbssport...l-out-of-top-5/

#855 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

I'm not in favor of the reseeding thing myself. It gives some extra weight to winning a division. MAYBE at most you have to win 9 games to host a WC matchup? In extreme cases like a 7 win team winning their division maybe. Or even 8. But finish above .500 and win your division, you get a home game.
  • mdrunning likes this

#856 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

An easy solution--and I'm not in favor of any changes to the playoff format--would be pretty simple. For the wildcard round only, keep the seeding as it is, but let the teams' respective records determine home field.

This way, a 6-10 or 7-9 Philly or Dallas would still make the playoffs as the No. 4 seed by virtue of winning the NFC East. The only difference is they'd have to travel to the 11-win Vikings, Seahawks, Rams, or whoever wound up as the No. 5 seed. 

Winning one's division would still be rewarded, but just not as much. Otherwise, there'd be no point in even having divisions.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#857 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,935 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

The Ringer: Which Impending NFL Free Agents Are Set to Cash in This Offseason?

#858 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,935 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:07 AM

CBS Sports: Pete Prisco's NFL Week 15 picks: Chargers upset Vikings, Rams win in Dallas, Titans take control of AFC South
https://www.cbssport...l-of-afc-south/

#859 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:22 AM

Clinton Portis among retired NFL players facing federal fraud charges

Clinton Portis, a former Pro Bowl running back, is among several former NFL players who are facing federal charges in an alleged scheme to defraud the league’s health care program for retired players.

Portis, Carlos Rogers, Robert McCune, John Eubanks, Tamarick Vanover, Ceandris Brown, James Butler, Frederick Bennett, Correll Buckhalter and Etric Pruitt are among the players charged by the Justice Department.

https://www.foxnews....d3cyjhE-ZAKa7BU

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#860 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:58 AM

I think it's like the Yankees in that it's a love 'em or hate 'em relationship. If you hate the Patriots, it just seems like every critical call, every spot of the ball, and every bounce goes their way. Just like the Yankees. If you're rooting like hell for them to lose, they seem to get every close call, every borderline pitch is called in their favor, and every rinky-dink hit drops in. 

Over the course of a long season, the breaks tend to even out. It's just that good teams take better advantage.

Not really.  You can't possibly say that Brady hasn't gotten countless fake roughing the passer calls over the years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners