• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#462 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:30 AM

So apparently everyone was busting on Joe Flacco once the game got out of hand last night.

https://apple.news/A...zSKm3p_huKVwt6Q

And he was doing his whole “I’m in no hurry” while they were down 27-6 at the end of the 3rd quarter. You hate to see it but I am so glad he’s no longer here.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#463 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,126 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:48 AM

So apparently everyone was busting on Joe Flacco once the game got out of hand last night.

And he was doing his whole “I’m in no hurry” while they were down 27-6 at the end of the 3rd quarter. You hate to see it but I am so glad he’s no longer here.

I didn’t watch a lot of the game, especially the middle of it, but for what I saw, he didn’t have a chance most of the night.

The line was terrible last night. I saw about half of the sacks and there wasn’t much he could. There was one play where he escaped and ended up throwing a really nice pass down the field but the receiver dropped it and may have been interfered with (flag was thrown but it was picked up). That would have been a big play that would have potentially been game changing considering what played out after.

That being said, the Lindsay play was a terrible decision by him and in the 4thQ, he looked shell shocked and was just getting rid of the ball quickly...either throwing passes to receivers that weren’t going anywhere or throwing incompletions.

I saw some twitter bashing of him and I’m sure he deserved some of it but I think it’s pretty common to see a QB look like that late in a game where he has been hit all game long. But this goes back to what my issue with Joe was...he just hasn’t been the same QB since he hurt his knee. He plays scared.
@BSLRobShields

#464 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,911 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:49 AM

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to get my teeth knocked out after getting sacked 8 times.

But yeah, I feel ya.

@BSLMikeRandall

#465 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

I saw a comment about he looked disinterested coming off the field. Kind of like what I saw here last year. Sure the O line wasn't giving him time, at least change some plays for quicker passes. Their game plan didn't change.

#466 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,399 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:51 AM

The Ringer: Your Week 7 NFL Matchup Guide: The Battered Eagles and Cowboys Try to Batter Each Other

The Ringer: Patrick Mahomes’s Knee Injury Could Be a Disaster—for the Chiefs and the NFL

#467 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,181 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

Huge eyeroll at anyone saying Joe looked disinterested. That's how he looks all the time. When he's good. When he's bad. He never changes demeanor. Looking for body language cues from him is absolute folly.
  • DJ MC and BSLMikeRandall like this

#468 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

Always been a big fan of Flacco.  Love the Joe Cool persona.  I know it drives a lot of fans nuts especially in today's age in which "WE PLAY LOUD" is cool but I like the unflappable athlete that just goes about his thing.  Shame he doesn't have a decent line there.

#469 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

Huge eyeroll at anyone saying Joe looked disinterested. That's how he looks all the time. When he's good. When he's bad. He never changes demeanor. Looking for body language cues from him is absolute folly.

He's done after this year. Denver's not going to want him back. Elway would get run out of town if he did.

#470 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,181 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

He's done after this year. Denver's not going to want him back. Elway would get run out of town if he did.

Not a single word in this post has anything at all to do with people assuming they can tell what Joe is thinking or feeling from his body language.

Joe very well may be done after this year. And still, nobody has ever been able to glean anything truthful by judging how he looks walking on or off the field.

#471 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,126 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:27 PM

Not a single word in this post has anything at all to do with people assuming they can tell what Joe is thinking or feeling from his body language.

Joe very well may be done after this year. And still, nobody has ever been able to glean anything truthful by judging how he looks walking on or off the field.

It’s not only the most painful Flacco discussion, it’s also the dumbest.

I do wonder if Joe retires after this year though.

He probably can be a starter on a team that has a lot around him but how many of those teams will want him to be their starter? Is he willing to be a back up? He could potentially be a Foles type back up...get the right chance after an injury and be a good QB to have.

But I just wonder if he is willing to stick around for that, especially with all the money he has made and all the kids he has.
@BSLRobShields

#472 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,029 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

It's funny how people all postseason have been praising Anthony Rendon for being so unemotional and stoic.

Didn't hear anything about how disinterested Joe looked during that magical 2012 run.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#473 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,126 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

It's funny how people all postseason have been praising Anthony Rendon for being so unemotional and stoic.
Didn't hear anything about how disinterested Joe looked during that magical 2012 run.

Whatever argument you can use to fit your narrative....
@BSLRobShields

#474 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,029 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:27 AM

Whatever argument you can use to fit your narrative....

Yep. He probably is done in Denver though, and as a starter. Not sure he will want to stick around as a backup with the money he has made. But overall, he's had a fine career.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#475 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,126 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Yep. He probably is done in Denver though, and as a starter. Not sure he will want to stick around as a backup with the money he has made. But overall, he's had a fine career.

Without looking it up, he is one of the top 100 or so QBs ever....not to mention one of the best playoff performers the sport has ever seen.

He has had a hell of a career.
@BSLRobShields

#476 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,399 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

FWIW, he has his highest completion % of his career, his YPA is his best since 2014, and passer rating is also his best since 2014.  

• BSLRobShields likes this

#477 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,029 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

FWIW, he has his highest completion % of his career, his YPA is his best since 2014, and passer rating is also his best since 2014.

Would've been cool to see him have a real offense and system around him. Never really had that in Baltimore, save that great playoff run. Nevertheless, pressure is already mounting in Denver. Including for Elway.

#478 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

We used to have a quarterback who played here years ago and never showed any emotion. His name was Unitas. No one ever accused him of not caring.

I never believed for a nano-second that Flacco didn't care. It's just the way he's wired, and you're not going to make someone into something they're not. I just never thought he was that good. He always struck me as an average to somewhat above-average performer who got hot one postseason and cashed in.

#479 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,126 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

We used to have a quarterback who played here years ago and never showed any emotion. His name was Unitas. No one ever accused him of not caring.

I never believed for a nano-second that Flacco didn't care. It's just the way he's wired, and you're not going to make someone into something they're not. I just never thought he was that good. He always struck me as an average to somewhat above-average performer who got hot one postseason and cashed in.

He was never an elite QB except in some runs in the playoffs.

But he was good. Playing QB is the hardest position in sports and to be able to do it at a high level is really hard to do.

To be an average to above average QB for 8-10 years is pretty damn good, especially considering the changes he saw at OC, QB coach, etc...for years...not to mention, they didn’t really give him weapons.

People who have been against Joe are against him because of his contract, which is just stupid. His contract doesn’t define him as a player or a person. It’s not his fault the Ravens gave him the contract. It is also not his fault that the team didn’t provide him with weapons or a better system or anything along those lines.

The key to understanding Joe is simple...he needs help around him. Without help, he is very mediocre. With help, Joe can be really good. That’s how most QBs are. The guys who don’t need big time help are elite, HOF level players.
@BSLRobShields

#480 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:00 AM

He was never an elite QB except in some runs in the playoffs.

But he was good. Playing QB is the hardest position in sports and to be able to do it at a high level is really hard to do.

To be an average to above average QB for 8-10 years is pretty damn good, especially considering the changes he saw at OC, QB coach, etc...for years...not to mention, they didn’t really give him weapons.

People who have been against Joe are against him because of his contract, which is just stupid. His contract doesn’t define him as a player or a person. It’s not his fault the Ravens gave him the contract. It is also not his fault that the team didn’t provide him with weapons or a better system or anything along those lines.

The key to understanding Joe is simple...he needs help around him. Without help, he is very mediocre. With help, Joe can be really good. That’s how most QBs are. The guys who don’t need big time help are elite, HOF level players.

That contract, however, became the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. Money is what defines modern athletes, and when you sign that big contract, the courtship is over and the romance is gone with the fans. It's one of the trade-offs. Everything a player does from here on in is going to judged relative to how much loot is going into his bank account each pay period.

I think people resented the deal, too, not because of how much Flacco was being paid, but because it hamstrung the Ravens cap-wise for the foreseeable future (it certainly didn't help). Then he received an extension a few years later not based so much on performance, but because the Ravens desperately needed cap relief. True, the Ravens didn't always give Joe much of a supporting cast, but people saw that prohibitive cap number as one of the major culprits. The truth is, whenever you dish out large contacts, it becomes even more imperative to nail the draft picks so as to have relatively cheap labor for a period of time. The Ravens' draft results were mixed over the past several seasons.

It was also unrealistically silly to expect Flacco to accept some kind of pay cut to help the Ravens navigate their cap troubles. Players typically don't do that, and particularly not when the club has no leverage to compel them to do so. Tom Brady has accepted below-market deals with New England, but he's never agreed to accept anything less than what his contract called for.

Yes, Payton Manning agreed to reduce his salary by some $4 million in his final season, but there were also incentives in the deal which allowed him to make that money back. It was also a case of a player at the end of his career willing to make some concessions in order to have a shot at another Super Bowl ring. Flacco never did such a thing because, quite frankly, he wasn't in a position to ever be cajoled into doing so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners