#161 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

HUh?

Since you read on a 3rd grade level. I doubt the Chargers intended to relax their defense to the point of letting the Ravens within a one score game. Is that clearer?

#162 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78,617 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

Since you read on a 3rd grade level. I doubt the Chargers intended to relax their defense to the point of letting the Ravens within a one score game. Is that clearer?

But when you relax your defense and allow teams to chew up yards, this is exactly what happens.  

This is what happened to the Ravens defense all the time.  They play great until the end, go in prevent and let teams march down the field.  

it doesn't mean the QB isn't making plays or good throws but it does mean that you can't evaluate the QB the same way in those circumstances as you did when he faced the defense through the first 3 quarters.

@BSLRobShields

#163 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,793 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

Aren't you making my point though? The same defense but 2 entirely different approaches to attacking it. The Patriots ran short passes and a power running game out of the I formation and all the Ravens did for 3 qtrs. was run rpo. We struggled with absolutely no adjustments until it was too late and the Patriots went through the same defense like a sieve.

This isn't true at all, the Ravens ran mostly power, but they run it out of the pistol because that's how Greg Roman likes to run his offense with dual threat QB (see Colin Kaepernick). You can even look at the Chargers players comments about how they new the LG was always the one who was going to pull, etc...they used their speed and athleticism to shoot gaps and it wreaked havoc.

There were no adjustments, I'll give you that, but the Ravens OL was overmatched and  a rookie QB who doesn't have the ability to process and read a defense like Tom Brady was also overmatched. 

• bmore_ken likes this
@gabefergy

#164 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,281 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Does any team intend to let their opponent back into a game when they have a big lead?

That seems to be the third-grade thinking in the discussion.

@DJ_McCann

#165 mdrunning

mdrunning

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

But when you relax your defense and allow teams to chew up yards, this is exactly what happens.  

This is what happened to the Ravens defense all the time.  They play great until the end, go in prevent and let teams march down the field.  

it doesn't mean the QB isn't making plays or good throws but it does mean that you can't evaluate the QB the same way in those circumstances as you did when he faced the defense through the first 3 quarters.

The big play, and the one the Chargers didn't want to happen, was the long pass to Dixon after Lamar got chased out of the pocket and Derwin James was looking for all the world like Rahim Moore. Plays like those don't come from any playbook, and they'll fail far more often than they'll succeed.

Otherwise, the Chargers were perfectly content to let the Ravens take the shorter throws and chew up both clock and timeouts. That play to Dixon was a potential game-changer. If the Ravens don't connect there, maybe they still score, but there likely would have been precious little time afterward to do anything else, which would have been exactly what the Chargers wanted.

#166 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78,617 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

The big play, and the one the Chargers didn't want to happen, was the long pass to Dixon after Lamar got chased out of the pocket and Derwin James was looking for all the world like Rahim Moore. Plays like those don't come from any playbook, and they'll fail far more often than they'll succeed.

Otherwise, the Chargers were perfectly content to let the Ravens take the shorter throws and chew up both clock and timeouts. That play to Dixon was a potential game-changer. If the Ravens don't connect there, maybe they still score, but there likely would have been precious little time afterward to do anything else, which would have been exactly what the Chargers wanted.

Right...that was a fluke play where James made a poor decision.

It was really a throw you never want any QB throwing but its also one where you are desperate and have to hope to get lucky.

@BSLRobShields

#167 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

I think that was his best throw of the year.  It was similar to the Mahomes play that beat the Ravens.  It was basically a play ground play and I think Lamar is comfortable in that style.  

There is plenty to evaluate LJ on.  

IMO,   clearly a plus, plus runner, below average passer, and maybe the worst I have ever seen at ball security.

I think the passing can get better, with better mechanics, and with a better understanding of defense.  The ball security must get better, and get better by a lot,  or the Ravens will be in the QB market next year.  

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners