Photo

College Football 2019: General Talk (LSU Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#521 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:14 PM

Don't really understand Ohio St over LSU for #1. But it won't matter next week....LSU will either beat Alabama and be #1, or they'll lose and be out of the Top 4.

#522 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:07 AM

Don't really understand Ohio St over LSU for #1. But it won't matter next week....LSU will either beat Alabama and be #1, or they'll lose and be out of the Top 4.

They just think OSU is better. Good chance that they are right but it tells you that they are going to be very subjective and going with eye test more than results.

Part of me likes that but all of these teams are so close that I think their resume has to matter more.

Like I have Bama over Clemson in my poll but that’s really because Bama hasn’t had a UNC game yet.

However, in something like this, I feel Clemson should be above Bama because they have a better resume as of right now.

Now, this means absolutely nothing because of the teams in front of them will play each other but still, I don’t think they got it right for this week.
  • Ricker Says likes this
@BSLRobShields

#523 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,717 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

Right, the eye test is the only rational for having Alabama that high too, BTW. But I know they were okay being a bit bullish on those two things, as the LSU/Alabama game this week will settle some of that.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#524 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

Like I have Bama over Clemson in my poll but that’s really because Bama hasn’t had a UNC game yet.

However, in something like this, I feel Clemson should be above Bama because they have a better resume as of right now.

I don't think there's any meaningful difference in their resumes. Most SoS rankings actually have Alabama slightly ahead as of right now. Clemson did have a better OOC schedule, highlighted by Texas A&M, but Alabama has played them too and both won handily. And like you said, Alabama has avoided a UNC game so far. I go with Alabama just because I think they have been better so far this season, but that's highly subjective, and this weekend will change things one way or another anyway.

#525 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,709 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:54 AM

CBS Sports: Two from the SEC, again? How the College Football Playoff is designed to create controversy
https://www.cbssport...te-controversy/

#526 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,148 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

Chaos is great. Its the most expeditious way to get to an 8 team playoff. The 5 P5 champs, the top ranked G5 team, and two at large. And no restrictions on those two at large teams. If the SEC gets 3 teams in that way so be it.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#527 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,709 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:31 AM

ESPN: LSU-Alabama, Penn State-Minnesota and college football's monster weekend
https://www.espn.com...monster-weekend

#528 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:51 PM

Minnesota is in great shape to pull this off.

They are at Iowa next week and still have Wisconsin at home.

If they run the table, they definitely get into the playoff.

Tough schedule ahead.
@BSLRobShields

#529 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,717 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

So this is why Minnesota is 17th while unbeaten. What a meltdown.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#530 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,717 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

And PSU still loses, I love it! Classic James Franklin/Penn St.

#531 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:41 PM

Tagovailoa definitely doesn't look right, whether it's rust or the ankle still bothers him. But Alabama as a team has played like crap. If not for their punt return TD this game would be over, and it's only halftime.

#532 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,717 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

Tagovailoa definitely doesn't look right, whether it's rust or the ankle still bothers him. But Alabama as a team has played like crap. If not for their punt return TD this game would be over, and it's only halftime.

Haven't played anyone. Great job by them being mentally prepared for their first real team. Lmao. F Alabama. This is just rich.

#533 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

Game isn’t over yet.

Bama can be explosive.

But LSU has looked great.
@BSLRobShields

#534 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

Big drop by Jeudy. That was 6.
@BSLRobShields

#535 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:29 PM

The Bama Oline is taking this game over
@BSLRobShields

#536 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

I generally hate prevent defense, but my god, if ever there was a time to use it and LSU didn't....

#537 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

If LSU is not the #1 team Tuesday night, the room the CFP committee meets in needs to be roped off and investigated as a crime scene.

#538 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:04 PM

If LSU is not the #1 team Tuesday night, the room the CFP committee meets in needs to be roped off and investigated as a crime scene.

They will be
@BSLRobShields

#539 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:06 PM

Be interesting to see how far Bama drops.

A lot of people didn’t think Bama could make the playoff if they lost this game.

I’m not convinced that’s true. They may need help but I think there are plenty of scenarios where they still get in.
@BSLRobShields

#540 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

Be interesting to see how far Bama drops.

A lot of people didn’t think Bama could make the playoff if they lost this game.

I’m not convinced that’s true. They may need help but I think there are plenty of scenarios where they still get in.

Penn State losing should keep them in the Top 5. Barring Georgia or Clemson getting upset, I'll probably have them 5th.

​Assuming they win out, either LSU or Georgia will take a loss in the SECCG. That opens the door for Alabama to slip in at #4 just like they did two years ago. Of course they have to survive a trip to Auburn that won't be easy, but if they do then they have a good shot.

​The wild card is either Oregon or Utah jumping them since they will probably play each other in the Pac 12 CCG, while Alabama would presumably be idle. Both Oregon and Utah should be rooting hard for the other to run the table ahead of that game, to ensure they are both Top 10 going in, to help their SoS as much as possible.

Of course an even bigger wild card is Baylor. If they go 13-0, winning the Big 12, and don't get in....well, maybe that's the push to expand the field. But they will have to beat Oklahoma twice to pull that off, and I doubt they will.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners