Photo

College Football 2019: General Talk (LSU Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#321 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,464 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

Deified-Dozen-2019-Week-4.jpg

https://www.baltimor...ll-week-4-poll/

Week 4 saw a couple members of our poll drop out as their weaknesses were exposed against tougher competition. Utah and Michigan both bit the dust on the road against USC and Wisconsin, respectively. Wisconsin was barely outside the Dozen, so as you can imagine their impressive win vaulted them up to #8, pretty high for a first-time appearance. Texas also made their return thanks to the above mentioned losses. Notre Dame put up a good fight at #3 Georgia, and that was enough to keep them in, while Georgia wasn't quite impressive enough to move up.

Three of our Dozen have byes in Week 5, and there aren't what figure to be too many tough matchups for the others. Notre Dame does have to return home and face Virginia, who are ranked as high as #18 in some Top 25 polls. Keep an eye on the Wisconsin's game against Northwestern, in case the Badgers are primed for a letdown. Same goes for #7 Auburn when they face Mississippi State. And depending on which Maryland team decides to show up, #11 Penn State could be in for a surprise Friday night in College Park.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#322 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

Boise State and UCF just announced a home and home. In Orlando in 2021 and in Boise 2023.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#323 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,464 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:04 PM

Boise State and UCF just announced a home and home. In Orlando in 2021 and in Boise 2023.

That's a great matchup. If both sustain the level of success they've had up to this point, they should schedule each other more.

#324 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

That's a great matchup. If both sustain the level of success they've had up to this point, they should schedule each other more.

Totally agree. It certainly a better scheduling than others we have on our future schedule like Rice. But at the end of the day this is still as much a lose - lose for the two schools than its a win - win.

Its just like the Fiesta Bowl where they had the audacity to pit BSU against TCU (TCU was still a G5 at that time).  While they were the top two G5 programs then all the pundits made the pitch that so what BSU just beat a G5 program. And the other half said see TCU wasn't that good in the first place.

Its a shame that we can't get home and home with more P5 programs. 

#325 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

Boise's top tackler is done for the year.  Tore ACL and broke wrist on same play.

#326 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

Boise's top tackler is done for the year.  Tore ACL and broke wrist on same play.

Yeah this one hurts for sure. We are not deep at LB experience to start with and losing Zeke sucks. But as we say "next man up."

#327 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,885 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

SI: As Group of Five Continues to Rack Up Power 5 Wins, Will CFP Opportunity Ever Arise?

#328 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,885 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:45 PM

CBS Sports: The Six Pack: Notre Dame-Virginia, USC-Washington among best college football picks for Week 5
https://www.cbssport...cks-for-week-5/

#329 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,885 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

ESPN: The 12 teams that can make the College Football Playoff
https://www.espn.com...ootball-playoff

#330 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,464 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:48 PM

#15 Cal was probably the Pac-12's last hope at making the Playoff (not a particularly realistic hope, but last hope nonetheless). Now they will have to pull it off without starting QB Chase Garbers, at least for tonight and I'm betting longer, as he injured his throwing shoulder. Bears and Arizona State are tied at 14 headed to the 4th.

UPDATE: Cal has lost, 21-17 the final. And with that, the Pac-12 is all but officially eliminated from the Playoff for a 3rd straight season.

#331 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

Cal losing is good for my Broncos. Always good to have teams ranked ahead of you lose.

#332 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

#15 Cal was probably the Pac-12's last hope at making the Playoff (not a particularly realistic hope, but last hope nonetheless). Now they will have to pull it off without starting QB Chase Garbers, at least for tonight and I'm betting longer, as he injured his throwing shoulder. Bears and Arizona State are tied at 14 headed to the 4th.

UPDATE: Cal has lost, 21-17 the final. And with that, the Pac-12 is all but officially eliminated from the Playoff for a 3rd straight season.

ESPNs playoff predictor still believes Oregon has a shot (not a great shot but a shot nonetheless).

They actually have some decent teams in the conference, so they could get some good wins.

Losing to Auburn in a close game won’t kill them.

#333 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,464 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

ESPNs playoff predictor still believes Oregon has a shot (not a great shot but a shot nonetheless).

They actually have some decent teams in the conference, so they could get some good wins.

Losing to Auburn in a close game won’t kill them.

They would have a shot if they ran the table in the Pac-12 (and some other things broke in their favor), but I don't think they are good enough to do that, so I don't really give them a chance.

#334 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:58 PM

Wow Clemson survives at UNC 21-20. UNC scored a TD with just over a minute to go and elected to go for two. They failed and lost the ensuing onside kick.

#335 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

Wow Clemson survives at UNC 21-20. UNC scored a TD with just over a minute to go and elected to go for two. They failed and lost the ensuing onside kick.

Analyticz

UNC probably thought they couldn’t outlast Clemson in OT. Although the defense held their own the whole game.

They went for a maybe win, definite loss instead of a definite tie, maybe win, maybe lose. Stupid. Analytics have this all wrong.
@BSLMikeRandall

#336 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,464 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:20 PM

I've been saying the past couple weeks in the DD I think Alabama is a little better than Clemson right now. I just don't think Clemson has the look of a #1 team at this point. I stuck to my guns on that, and I'm going to keep sticking to my guns until I see evidence to the contrary.

#337 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,814 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

I’ve kept Bama 1 as well Mike
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#338 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,464 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:25 PM

I’ve kept Bama 1 as well Mike

Of course I also put GA ahead of them both after they beat ND. But still, both will stay in front of Clemson. Something ain't right with Trevor Lawrence this season.

#339 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:21 PM

Yea this definitely wasn’t a good look for Clemson.

Lawrence hasn’t been as good as expected and, quietly, their running game hasn’t been that great.

I think there is some hangover but also just taking teams for granted in a weak ACC this year.

#340 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

Bama
Clemson
UGA
LSU