277 replies to this topic

#261 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

Anybody see that interview Sara Perlman did with the two kids about their favorite O's player? I'd be really depressed if I were trying to sell season tickets.

Sara, to kid #1: Do you have a favorite Oriole?

Kid #1: (after long pause) no.

Sara: What about Chris Davis?  He's pretty good!

Kid #1: complete silence, as the kid probably wonders why the nice lady has suddenly gone crazy and started suggesting ridiculous things, until the kid's dad says they liked Santander before he was sent down.

Sara: What do you like about Santander?

Kid #1: He hits home runs!

Sara, to kid #2: Do you have a favorite Oriole?

Kid #2: It was Manny Machado, but now he's gone, so I don't have one.

Sara: Back to you, Gary!

• Ricker Says, jkough1 and Don Quixote like this

#262 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 107,590 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:31 AM

That's hilarious. Great job MASN.

#263 Steve55

Steve55
  • Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:30 AM

My 8yr old Granddaughter would have said Dylan Bundy. Her uncle got her his jersey for Xmas when she was 2. He autographed it for her at spring training a couple of years later. She still follows his career.

#264 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,965 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

The kids will still have their favorite players. I was obsessed with players like Jerry Hairston Jr and Larry Bigbie and Luis Matos growing up.
  • jkough1 likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#265 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:54 AM

The kids will still have their favorite players. I was obsessed with players like Jerry Hairston Jr and Larry Bigbie and Luis Matos growing up.

I thought Chris Richard was going to be the next big thing but these three were some of favorites, too. 

#266 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:59 AM

If the kid was a few years older, he would have said the hell with the Orioles and hit on Sara.

Ricker is right, kids will figure out their new favorites.  If they like or play the game, they will pick their favorites, copy their batting stances etc, and check the box scores every day to see how they are doing.

I have a 3 year old grandson, who late last year noticed Adam Jones and took a liking to him.  He was over the house a couple of weeks ago, when the Orioles were on, as he buzzed by the TV, he stopped, said it was the Orioles and asked where is Jones.   I told him he was not on the Orioles anymore, he said okay and took off again.  Kids hook onto players.

@mikeghg

#267 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:17 PM

After coughing up four home runs over 2+ innings his last time out, David Hess surrenders a first-inning homer here, to a man named Jonah Davis. That's six homers allowed over 14 IP this spring for Hess, who seems in line to be Baltimore's No.4 starter regardless.

#268 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

Rio Ruiz just rocketed a double off the right center field wall against Chris Archer. It's the sixth extra base hit of the spring for Ruiz, who is swinging his way into the Opening Day picture. #Orioles

#269 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

Three strikeouts in three at bats this afternoon for Chris Davis, who just went down looking against Pirates lefty Tyler Lyons. Davis is now 4-for-27 with 15 strikeouts and five walks this spring. #Orioles

#270 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,178 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

Whats crazy is I had to actually calculate if 4/27 was better or worse than last year's batting average.

#271 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,965 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

Whats crazy is I had to actually calculate if 4/27 was better or worse than last year's batting average.

Well...? Don't make me do it too, I'm too buzzed for that.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#272 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,514 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

Well...? Don't make me do it too, I'm too buzzed for that.

It’s worse. But not by much

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#273 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

4 for 28 would be .143, so 4 for 27 is a little better than that....  he hit .168 last year...  so it's close, but he actually managed to get worse.

#274 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

Hess apparently ended up pitching well, though.

#275 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

Hess apparently ended up pitching well, though.

He has pitched pretty well in the spring, except the horrible start the last time out.

@mikeghg

#276 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

The Orioles released Eric Young.

They are going to the kids,  As they should

@mikeghg

#277 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,565 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

They told him he’s welcome back to play in the minors if he can’t find anything better.

@PhelanToTweet

#278 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:18 PM

Orioles shut  out today 4-0.

The closer we get to regular season, the more the picture becomes clearer as to how weak the Oriole roster is.  The other teams are playing their regulars more to get them ready and the match ups are alarming.

A buddy of mine who has had his tickets for over 30 years has given them up.  He has received numerous calls from the Orioles.  They asked him why, and what would it take to get him to renew, his response, you are charging major league prices for a minor league product.  The response, there is nothing we can do about that.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners