#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,414 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:08 PM

I am really surprised, we have not seen more coaching acquisitions.

I would think pitching coach is a position that should get filled sooner rather than later.

@mikeghg

#3 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

I am really surprised, we have not seen more coaching acquisitions.

I would think pitching coach is a position that should get filled sooner rather than later.

i think we'll likely see an interim fill for PC at this point. Maybe an internal promotion like the FO fills to replace Rajisch and Graham.. The reality is there just isn't the time or opportunity to vet a permanent qualified candidate at this juncture. A lot is just going to have wait until next year with stopgap measures and heavy involvement by Elias and Hyde. I'm leery of Hyde's involvement with player development but it does appear that he's going to have a pretty significant role. Maybe more than Buck. 

Recruiitng some top notch analysts outside the game may be a better use of time right now than the gaps in the FO and coaching staff imo. 

#4 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

i think we'll likely see an interim fill for PC at this point. Maybe an internal promotion like the FO fills to replace Rajisch and Graham.. The reality is there just isn't the time or opportunity to vet a permanent qualified candidate at this juncture. A lot is just going to have wait until next year with stopgap measures and heavy involvement by Elias and Hyde. I'm leery of Hyde's involvement with player development but it does appear that he's going to have a pretty significant role. Maybe more than Buck. 

Recruiitng some top notch analysts outside the game may be a better use of time right now than the gaps in the FO and coaching staff imo. 

I'm comfortable with the thought of Hyde being involved in player development. My issue with the power structure of the former FO, was that (IMO) the field manager outranked the GM, and was able to make roster decisions. And if that wasn't bad enough, Buck appeared to let sentiment and his personal relationships guide his decision making on who stayed and went.   

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

Sounds like the O's might have hired / be about to hire a bench coach, but all we know is that it's not Gary DiSarcinia.

#Orioles received permission from #Mets to interview Gary DiSarcina for their bench-coach job under new manager Brandon Hyde. BAL is hiring someone else, yet to be identified. DiSarcina will remain with #Mets as 3B coach; was bench coach last season.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,414 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Sounds like the O's might have hired / be about to hire a bench coach, but all we know is that it's not Gary DiSarcinia.

#Orioles received permission from #Mets to interview Gary DiSarcina for their bench-coach job under new manager Brandon Hyde. BAL is hiring someone else, yet to be identified. DiSarcina will remain with #Mets as 3B coach; was bench coach last season.

It sounds like they are still trying to poach people from other teams, which explains in part the slow pace.

@mikeghg

#7 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

They already hired a bench coach - Tim Cossins.  As a catching instructor, it would make sense he'd be relaying the signs to call certain pitches in the dugout like Russell did instead of at 1B or 3B.

They likely got permission a while ago for DiSarcina.

#8 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

They already hired a bench coach - Tim Cossins.  As a catching instructor, it would make sense he'd be relaying the signs to call certain pitches in the dugout like Russell did instead of at 1B or 3B.

They likely got permission a while ago for DiSarcina.

Are you sure Cossins is going to be the bench coach?  I don't remember seeing that reported anywhere.

#9 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

Are you sure Cossins is going to be the bench coach?  I don't remember seeing that reported anywhere.

His role hasn't been reported, but considering he's a catching instructor and was the minor league field coordinator for the Cubs and went to the same junior college as Hyde and has worked with him multiple times since, I think it's a logical conclusion.  Russell was the Orioles' catching instructor and called the pitches to the Orioles' catchers from the dugout as bench coach.  I see Cossins doing the same thing.  Flores makes sense to keep his 1B coach role.

• sandiegosean likes this

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,829 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:58 PM

Gary DiSarcina. Damn, let's remember some guys.
@DJ_McCann

#11 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

Ken RosenthalVerified account[/size] @Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago

More
DiSarcinia would have been a huge get.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,084 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

Rosenthal:

Former #Reds hitting coach Don Long and former #RedSox 1B coach Arnie Beyeler receiving strong consideration for same jobs with #Orioles, sources tell The Athletic. Reds did not retain Long for 2019. Beyeler was #Marlins’ AAA manager past three years; contract was not renewed.
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,084 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

Roch:

To follow up, hearing Long and Beyeler will be on #orioles staff, per industry sources. O's not confirming or announcing anything till staff is complete
@BSLRobShields

#14 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

Roch:

To follow up, hearing Long and Beyeler will be on #orioles staff, per industry sources. O's not confirming or announcing anything till staff is complete

So, we got a couple of losers to get jobs to replace the losers we had that can't get jobs. I'd have kept Russell, 

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,084 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

So, we got a couple of losers to get jobs to replace the losers we had that can't get jobs. I'd have kept Russell,

Why are they losers?
@BSLRobShields

#16 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Why are they losers?

It was in jest (as neither was retained by their previous teams) and are both looking for jobs at this late stage. I guess I forgot to add the smiley face.

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,414 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

It was in jest (as neither was retained by their previous teams) and are both looking for jobs at this late stage. I guess I forgot to add the smiley face.

I am one that believes,that the players make the coaches far more than the coach make the player, especially in baseball.  So considering the talent base we have, there is a good chase that many fans will consider who ever they hire losers next year.

@mikeghg

#18 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:40 PM

I am one that believes,that the players make the coaches far more than the coach make the player, especially in baseball.  So considering the talent base we have, there is a good chase that many fans will consider who ever they hire losers next year.

Agree. They are fairly indistinguishable in general. Whatever productive tone and attitiude they bring is set by the manager. I think Pitching coach is different and  really the most impactful position. More than the manager imo. Like I've said before, the entire organization working in the same (hopefully productive) direction will be a welcome change. 

• Mike B likes this

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,414 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:23 PM

Agree. They are fairly indistinguishable in general. Whatever productive tone and attitiude they bring is set by the manager. I think Pitching coach is different and  really the most impactful position. More than the manager imo. Like I've said before, the entire organization working in the same (hopefully productive) direction will be a welcome change. 

Agree on the PC.  I actually think the pitching coach needs to be part psychologist.

@mikeghg

#20 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Phillies hire Dickerson.

http://www.masnsport...n-deadline.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users