#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,311 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:57 AM

BSL: https://www.baltimor...flaccos-legacy/

Joe Flacco is very likely about to wrap up his Ravens career. Years from now when you look back at Joe Flacco, his legacy will be one based on the good times. Which have outnumbered the recent down years for sure. 

What do you think?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 106,180 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

Ring of Honor.  Durability was a huge asset. So was his mentality. Not getting too high, or too low was an advantage. 

Special arm talent. Always gave the Ravens a punchers chance vs. anyone. 

Biggest knock I had was that at some point he should have taken real control of the offense, and effectively called his own plays. 

Think he has a great chance to go somewhere and start in '19, and potentially have a second act of his career. 

Think he'll be remembered better locally as time goes on.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,720 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

He will be the benchmark for all future Ravens QBs. Gonna have to have a real good career to surpass Joe.

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:38 AM

He will be remembered as an average quarterback who made the absolute most of his abilities, and had the best four games of his life at exactly the right time. He'll be in the RoH, but I expect the Ravens to have a QB who will surpass him in the relatively near future.

#5 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:41 AM

He was the first real franchise QB after years of pretty much garbage at the position.  Not an elite QB, but he was elite when in counted in 2012.  He was a victim of his own success as that giant contract certainly raised expectations and the last few years have been down, but overall he's been a great Raven.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,124 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

Very solid QB whose organization never truly supported him after the SB and his contract.
@BSLRobShields

#7 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

We won't remember his slumps and bad games, just the good times and being a consistently competitive team for his entire run here. And of course the magic of 2012.

I don't want to drag up the old argument again because I'm enjoying the ride right now with Lamar. But I don't think LJ is the long term answer and Baltimore likely has some dark days at QB ahead of them. Hopefully not like the endless dark patch before Flacco got here.

He'll be remembered as a ... dare I say... legend here, and I think we'll miss him quite a bit over the next few years while the franchise is in transition.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#8 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

From 2008-2014, the Ravens won 10 playoff games and a Super Bowl.  They were contenders almost every year.  Joe was a huge part of that, and for that we'll always be grateful.  He's not a HoF guy, but definitely RoH.

But after 3 years of mediocrity, It only took 3 games to realize that Lamar Jackson's run-heavy, ball-control offense provided a better chance of winning games paired with a #1 defense.

He's been a class act about his demotion.  I'll always wish him success as long as it's not negatively impacting the Ravens.  He could turn the right team into a contender...

• JStruds likes this

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 668 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:14 PM

Flacco will go down as the best quarterback of the Ravens era for sure.  Vinny Testaverde put up some nice numbers but wasn't the winner Joe was.  Flacco was never elite and never will be.  He needed to be surrounded with top flight talent, particularly along the offensive line to excel.  He was never going to be a quarterback who could put a team on his shoulders and make everyone around him better than they were.  I always thought his biggest downfall was a lack of quarterback acumen, especially when under pressure.  But I appreciate all the victories he was a part of and contributed to.  Now, it's time to move on because nothing lasts forever, especially in sports. 

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:53 PM

I'll remember a pick I hated at the time, but who's performance changed my opinion. Thanks for the good times Joe. Good luck with your new team. 

#11 Steve55

Steve55
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

Vinny never had the defense Joe had. He had the better WR's. The D carried Joe those early years. He did just enough when needed. 2011 & 12 were his peak passing years. After the contract he fell off. Except for 2014 he seemed disinterested in being a leader. He would have a hot streak then a what the hell moment. He could beat the Steelers but then couldn't figure out the Bengals pass defense. It looked like he was afraid of losing his job for risking a pass. The coaching had a lot to do with it or Harbaugh's way of trying to play close games.

#12 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

Vinny never had the defense Joe had. He had the better WR's. The D carried Joe those early years. He did just enough when needed. 2011 & 12 were his peak passing years. After the contract he fell off. Except for 2014 he seemed disinterested in being a leader. He would have a hot streak then a what the hell moment. He could beat the Steelers but then couldn't figure out the Bengals pass defense. It looked like he was afraid of losing his job for risking a pass. The coaching had a lot to do with it or Harbaugh's way of trying to play close games.

Or it could be because he's a good but flawed player surrounded by mostly crap on the offensive side of the ball, and not that he didn't care.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

Flacco never was "elite", whatever that really is.  He was always just a QB with a good arm who was a little slow at going through progressions and at times struggled with reading defenses.  But he was good enough in a league where defenses were slowly being handcuffed as the years went by.  He had a big arm and enough mobility to extend plays at times.  He won a ring when the Ravens gave him some decent skill players to work with, and it was with a defense that was good, but not as good as what the Ravens have now.  He's always been compared with Matt Ryan because they came into the league together and I think that's a good comparison.  Ryan might have a ring as well if his coaches had decided to run the ball a few more times in the SB two years ago.  But the fact is that Flacco has that ring.  And he is also the only QB not named Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger to get a ring playing in the AFC since 2001 when Dilfer did it.  That's a lot of QBs for a lot of teams without rings.  

I think when people judge Flacco they also need to judge the Raven's FO.  For a FO that has been considered one of the best in the league, they have done a terrible job drafting skill players to compliment him.  They're top notch at drafting defensive talent, but leave a lot to be desired assembling playmakers.  The last few years they have been a revolving door for old, retread WRs.  Flacco was never going to be a hall of fame QB, but maybe had the FO shown the same skill for evaluating offensive talent as they have on the other side of the ball, he might not have had the drop off he has the last few years.  

#14 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:32 PM

I've long seen Joe as a solid NFL QB who is capable of really good stretches and occasional bouts of ugly. Give him a decent running game for balance and he'll give you a good chance to win a game offensively. But run an offense like we've seen Marc and Marty have saddled us with for 4 years, where defenses know the run is an afterthought, and he can't be Tom Brady. Which is the part that I think most critics miss... they've asked him to be Tom Brady and he's not. That's their fault far more than it is his.

Brady, Brees, at times Ben... those guys can drive you the length of the field in the last two minutes, and despite a drop and a holding penalty and maybe a sack, maybe another drop, will still throw one more pass that could win the game. Joe has always been a step down to me... he'll drive the offense and make plays as long as those around him keep up their ends too. He'll throw that one ball that Boldin, or Evans, or Mason, or Perriman, or Housmandzadeh, will have a chance to grab and score. But when they don't, he's hard pressed to do it again on the next play.

And there's nothing shameful about that. 95% of NFL QBs never even show that much.
  • JStruds likes this

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,124 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

He will be remembered in 2 parts.

2008-2014...several playoff wins, SB MVP, etc...

And then the “contract years”...fans will blame him for the contract and not living up to it. Those same fans can be accused of poorly evaluating talent, not understanding how contracts work and just not knowing the game.

At his best, an argument could be made that Joe was just inside the top 10 QBs in any particular year. He was never elite. He was never a guy that made people around him better and he never will be. He is a guy capable of putting a team on his back and winning huge games. He is still that guy. However, his contract paid him like an elite player. It’s not his fault that he became a FA at the right time and that the Ravens paid him like an elite player..just as it’s not BWills fault either. It just is what it is. It’s timing.

He’s got a case for being a top 5 player ever for the Ravens. Ray, Reed, JO, Yanda and Suggs are probably the only names that have a case to be ahead of him
And you can argue he could be ahead of a few of them.

Talking about him being in the ROH is something that doesn’t even need to be mentioned. That’s obvious.

His legacy could be defined by what happens next. He’s obviously gone barring some bad injury to Jackson before the season is over.

If Jackson isn’t good and Joe continues to be solid, people will miss him even more. If Lamar is good, people will wish Joe good luck but he glad a change was made. It won’t make them dislike Joe or think less of him, just that people will move on quickly from him.
@BSLRobShields

#16 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

I hope Biscotti has a plan to draft and develop a legitimate quarterback of the future. If he's hanging his hat on Jackson, he's taking a major risk in my opinion.
  • cprenegade likes this

#17 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:08 PM

I hope Biscotti has a plan to draft and develop a legitimate quarterback of the future. If he's hanging his hat on Jackson, he's taking a major risk in my opinion.

I don't think that is in their plans at this point, but I think it will be in another year or two.  

#18 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:22 PM

I think people also need to remember that Flacco made some big passes only to see them dropped.  Game winner to Lee Evans, dropped.  Pass on 4th down to keep a drive alive to Housh, dropped.  Crabtree this year.  Those aren't on him.  Those drops are because the FO made the big drops and could only come up with half-assed receivers for him to work with.  Not once has the FO drafted and developed a big time receiver.  Other teams have done it multiple times.  That's not on Flacco, that's on the so called great FO.  

• russsnyder likes this

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,124 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

I think people also need to remember that Flacco made some big passes only to see them dropped.  Game winner to Lee Evans, dropped.  Pass on 4th down to keep a drive alive to Housh, dropped.  Crabtree this year.  Those aren't on him.  Those drops are because the FO made the big drops and could only come up with half-assed receivers for him to work with.  Not once has the FO drafted and developed a big time receiver.  Other teams have done it multiple times.  That's not on Flacco, that's on the so called great FO.  

No doubt...they put money in areas that don’t make a lot of sense...like Williams.

They drafted defense over offense.

They invested money into Joe but never supported him.

Shit, they couldn’t even give him OC that understood his strengths, at least since Kubiak left.
@BSLRobShields

#20 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:41 AM

I think people also need to remember that Flacco made some big passes only to see them dropped. Game winner to Lee Evans, dropped. Pass on 4th down to keep a drive alive to Housh, dropped. Crabtree this year. Those aren't on him. Those drops are because the FO made the big drops and could only come up with half-assed receivers for him to work with. Not once has the FO drafted and developed a big time receiver. Other teams have done it multiple times. That's not on Flacco, that's on the so called great FO.

There is no doubt that Joe's legacy would be even greater if not for the drops. Also, he played well in Foxboro during the playoffs. I think the injuries have hampered Joe more than anything else the past two or three years. While I give him credit for bouncing back, they have taken a toll. Flacco has been a solid quarterback for a decade in the NFL. He was a big reason why the Ravens contended more often often than not, and his run in 2012 was amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners