#41 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 20 December 2018 - 12:27 PM

Sounds like we should hope for Gus and Dixon to have big games. If they're going to commit extra resources to keeping Lamar from getting outside, then pound them up the middle. Let's see some more of the jet motion to keep the defense honest on outside runs to either side on a given play. The motion across the formation seems to always make the defense hesitate, adding in even another run threat.

And of course, Lamar will have to hit some passes over the top, or at least in that mid-range over the linebackers, which seems to always be open off play-action.

Even if it's not what we may see long-term, I really appreciate the way they've altered the offense in this situation. Kudos to Marty. I hope the keep many elements of this moving forward, even if it gets toned way down in future  seasons.

@Bmore_Irish

#42 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:21 PM

I think it's to the Ravens advantage if James ultimately becomes a pure spy on Jackson. 

To me, this is the biggest advantage Jackson gives you. I'll be interested to see how many approaches the Chargers take to defending Jackson and how consistent it is. 

With the effectiveness of KC utilizing the Bear Front covering both guards and the C, I'd imagine we will see a lot of that. The 4-man front from TB really wasn't effective after the Ravens stopped trying to do the outside zone BS. 

Alternately, I think the outside zone stuff could be pretty effective against a Bear Front on the cut back. 

This should be a fun chess match to watch. 

#43 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

I think it's to the Ravens advantage if James ultimately becomes a pure spy on Jackson. 

To me, this is the biggest advantage Jackson gives you. I'll be interested to see how many approaches the Chargers take to defending Jackson and how consistent it is. 

With the effectiveness of KC utilizing the Bear Front covering both guards and the C, I'd imagine we will see a lot of that. The 4-man front from TB really wasn't effective after the Ravens stopped trying to do the outside zone BS. 

Alternately, I think the outside zone stuff could be pretty effective against a Bear Front on the cut back. 

This should be a fun chess match to watch. 

It may work but right now, anything that takes away Jackson and the run gams is bad for the team.

I don’t care if the middle is open or not..he still has to get the ball there, read the defense, etc...
@BSLRobShields

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:34 PM

Gotta say, I give the Ravens a 10-12% chance to win this game. With Flacco it would be close to 20%.

I think LAC may be the best team in the AFC and maybe the whole NFL.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

Gotta say, I give the Ravens a 10-12% chance to win this game. With Flacco it would be close to 20%.

I actually think we match up pretty well with them.  Their O line isn't great, their QB is a statue and their WR's are not dynamic.  

• Mike B likes this

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:39 PM

I actually think we match up pretty well with them.  Their O line isn't great, their QB is a statue and their WR's are not dynamic.  

OK!

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

It may work but right now, anything that takes away Jackson and the run gams is bad for the team.

We just don't know if it will work. If the Chargers want to designate one specific spy on Jackson, it's pretty easy to scheme that guy out on design runs and negate it. 

If you look at the Tampa film, there were obvious plays where they had guys spy on Lamar. The Moore TD is one, there was another read option with motion right on a running play, where they got a double team block on a LB that appeared to be spying or have primary Lamar duties. It's very possible to be able to isolate those guys out of plays in those spying situations because of the option, and play action games. 

So if you can ID him as such, that James is the guy they designate to spy Lamar, that's good for Edwards and our TEs and Snead, too. 

I don't disagree with your point that his speed could potentially negate Jackson. I just hope we're ready to take advantage and out scheme them. 

I think there is going to be option read, play action shot that goes deep to Williams or Boyle on of these where they suck James down into the box. I think there will be a couple of these shots in these game, and I think a huge part of the outcome of this game is going to ride on those plays. 

I read a stat today that we have had 4 plays of more than 25 yards in their last 5 games. They had 13 in their first 9 games. http://wnst.net/balt...over-tampa-bay/ I think we'll need two of them in this game to win. 

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,864 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

I think your odds are a little low.  In the last month they've lost at home to Denver and almost got beat at home by Cincinnati.  Of course they also beat the Chiefs in KC (but they only won by one...and we took them to OT, so not all that different of a result).

Moneyline (+185) equates to the Chargers being 74% likely to win.  Point spread (-4.5) converts to 67% likely to win according to the first result when I googled "convert point spreads to odds of winning".   Chris pointed out the 22% chance the Ravens have according to ESPN Matchup Predictor (I have no idea what that is, btw, can't find it on ESPN's site...maybe it's behind the paywall?) in the OP of this thread.

#49 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

Need to bring the heat. Season on the line. If we lose, we're likely eliminated.

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 01:38 PM

CBS Sports: Chargers vs. Ravens how to watch, stream: Preview, prediction, statistics to know for showdown of AFC playoff contenders
https://www.cbssport...off-contenders/

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,740 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

8LavYtn.jpg
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,740 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:56 PM

Suggs hat is the best. Jimmy looks so awkward somehow lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

Chargers with the ball first.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

Pick!

#55 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:22 PM

Beauty of a play!!!
@BSLMikeRandall

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Ravens at midfield

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Gus!

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

1st and Goal..
Dixon to the 5.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:24 PM

3rd and Goal..

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,849 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:25 PM

Crabtree not able to come down with it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners