317 replies to this topic

#301 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

When the ball is rarely thrown to you and when it is, it’s not accurate, it’s hard to be at the top of your game.

I'm we're talking about all season. and the ball hitting him in the hands regularly. I don't disagree, but in an effort not to completely turn this into a Lamar thing, I actually thought some of the most egregious throws this week were actually to the TEs and Brown. Especially on crossers, which is so frustrating because our style of offense makes crossers the most effective. 

Lamar hasn't proven to be awful on comeback routes, but no one respects Crabtree deep at all and his footwork doesn't let him open stuff on the back side underneath. 

Crabtree has been a poor addition, regardless of QB IMO. Can we cut him? Saves us $4.5 mill. I'd probably be doing that. 

• russsnyder likes this

#302 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:20 PM

When the ball is rarely thrown to you and when it is, it’s not accurate, it’s hard to be at the top of your game.

Poor excuses for his performance IMO.

He has dropped too many passes.

Big disappointment.

#303 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:27 PM

I'm we're talking about all season. and the ball hitting him in the hands regularly. I don't disagree, but in an effort not to completely turn this into a Lamar thing, I actually thought some of the most egregious throws this week were actually to the TEs and Brown. Especially on crossers, which is so frustrating because our style of offense makes crossers the most effective.

Lamar hasn't proven to be awful on comeback routes, but no one respects Crabtree deep at all and his footwork doesn't let him open stuff on the back side underneath.

Crabtree has been a poor addition, regardless of QB IMO. Can we cut him? Saves us $4.5 mill. I'd probably be doing that.

Good post.

Crabtree apologized publicly to Joe after the three drops in the Cleveland game. He has not helped either QB very much this year.

#304 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:16 PM

I think Filmstudy is one of the best game reviewers out there and one of the things that keeps me coming back to RSR.

But Baltimore Beatdown's offensive review to me has surpassed it. The fact that I can read it, watch GIFs and don't have to listen to a podcast has made it my must read every week. Logan Levy is doing a lights out job: https://www.baltimor...st-the-chargers

Highly recommended for everyone. Particularly his breakdowns of formations, types of runs, and the executions of those. His ability to parse out duos vs power runs and his GIF breakdowns and the added highlights he brings to them are a great way to learn to watch film. 

He points out that 6 of Jackson's 10 fumbles have been out of the zone read with Gus Edwards. That's a money stat and hopefully one the Ravens are also paying attention to. 

#305 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:19 PM

Also, his breakdown of Jackson's mechanics is a must read, IMO. 

#306 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:35 PM

This is the last part I'll about this, but what's so fascinating about the Andrews TD is that this is a 100% classic Cover-3 beater attack that's used in Madden. And has been for the last 5 years. 43 totally loses the depth of his drop and Crabtree's design was set up as a 100% fake to draw him. Ultimately they kind of create an inverted Sail Route concept which is pretty impressive. 

We've talked about how you simplify Jackson's reads. This is 100% an example of that. 

The part of this play that gets lost here is Snead's motion wheel route. He comes across the formation he draws up the OLB out his zone and he makes it a two-way read for Jackson. either he throws deep to the corner for Andrews or he throws under to Crabtree because he'll be wide open due to the combo of Snead and the potential depth of Andrews route. The extra added benefit of the play action really opened it up and it caused the LB who might have gone deeper in his drop to hesitate and then recognize Snead and follow him. 

The Andrews TD was 100% MM and offensive scheme and probably a call that was installed but set up by a prior (multiply so I'm sure) looks out of similar formations and run blocking combos. 

#307 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

This is the last part I'll about this, but what's so fascinating about the Andrews TD is that this is a 100% classic Cover-3 beater attack that's used in Madden. And has been for the last 5 years. 43 totally loses the depth of his drop and Crabtree's design was set up as a 100% fake to draw him. Ultimately they kind of create an inverted Sail Route concept which is pretty impressive.

We've talked about how you simplify Jackson's reads. This is 100% an example of that.

The part of this play that gets lost here is Snead's motion wheel route. He comes across the formation he draws up the OLB out his zone and he makes it a two-way read for Jackson. either he throws deep to the corner for Andrews or he throws under to Crabtree because he'll be wide open due to the combo of Snead and the potential depth of Andrews route. The extra added benefit of the play action really opened it up and it caused the LB who might have gone deeper in his drop to hesitate and then recognize Snead and follow him.

The Andrews TD was 100% MM and offensive scheme and probably a call that was installed but set up by a prior (multiply so I'm sure) looks out of similar formations and run blocking combos.

Nice analysis; you're way too smart for me. One question, though. Why didn't we see more of this kind of scheme while Flacco (presumably a better passer) was playing? Any thoughts on that?

#308 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

Well we did. And the deeper routes and concepts were going to Brown and they were highly successful. We took them out, in part because Jackson can't find Brown for his life on deep balls.

This is an example of a play that likely happens with Joe or Lamar in. There is no real deception at the line and while the PA holds the weakside LB a step, that's the same with Joe. 

There were some legit deep plays and shots that Joe was connecting on early. People just want to, IMO, pretend they weren't there. Or that he didn't connect on them. 

#309 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

Guilty. I'm remembering the 1-4 record over the 3-1 start I imagine.

#310 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,447 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

Well we did. And the deeper routes and concepts were going to Brown and they were highly successful. We took them out, in part because Jackson can't find Brown for his life on deep balls.

This is an example of a play that likely happens with Joe or Lamar in. There is no real deception at the line and while the PA holds the weakside LB a step, that's the same with Joe. 

There were some legit deep plays and shots that Joe was connecting on early. People just want to, IMO, pretend they weren't there. Or that he didn't connect on them. 

This is my biggest issue with the Lamar group.

They are literally making shit up. Their arguments, for the most part, are built on a foundation that quite frankly, doesn’t exist.

And when they start saying stuff like, no way joe wins that game, it just looks stupid.

What they hold against Joe, they use as an excuse for Lamar. The consistency is awful and a lot of the arguments are just lies

#311 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

Guilty. I'm remembering the 1-4 record over the 3-1 start I imagine.

And 1-4 very well could have been 3-2 if not for a hold on Chris Moore in the Browns game and a missed INT in the Saints game. 

In the same way the fumble by Jackson in the KC game likely kept us from making a serious play to take the lead or giving up the 4th and 10 in those games. 

I'm fine with sticking with Lamar, but rainbows and butterflies on offense, it has not been. 

#312 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:38 PM

This is my biggest issue with the Lamar group.

They are literally making shit up. Their arguments,, for the most part, are built on a foundation that quite frankly, doesn’t exist.

And when they are start saying stuff like, no way joe wins that game, it just looks stupid.

What they hold against Joe, they use as an excuse for Lamar. The consistency is awful and a lot of the arguments are just lies

Kettle, meet pot
@BSLMikeRandall

#313 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

And 1-4 very well could have been 3-2 if not for a hold on Chris Moore in the Browns game and a missed INT in the Saints game.

In the same way the fumble by Jackson in the KC game likely kept us from making a serious play to take the lead or giving up the 4th and 10 in those games.

I'm fine with sticking with Lamar, but rainbows and butterflies on offense, it has not been.

For the record, my question involved the scheme you described, not the QB executing the play.

#314 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,447 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:19 PM

Kettle, meet pot

Not even close.

#315 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,730 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Not even close.

Some of your points above are not incorrect, but you've created strawman arguments in posts for days.  

#316 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,447 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:01 PM

Some of your points above are not incorrect, but you've created strawman arguments in posts for days.  

Not really. They are all based around thoughts I see on here.

#317 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,730 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:21 PM

Not really. They are all based around thoughts I see on here.

Over the last few days particularly, you've consistently painted with a broad brush.  When you've seen one person make one argument, you've shaped that into sweeping generalizations of what you think the arguments are as a whole. 

It isn't just A&B points of views. It's a spectrum of thoughts.  To me, you've reduced things to strawman arguments. 

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  You've done it with a smile several times, but you've posted something to the effect of 'Jackson supporters', blame Flacco for everything, including x and y loss. 

Somewhere in these large amounts of threads, I'm sure several posters have said Flacco was the reason. 
But I know many others who would be labeled 'Jackson supporters' have argued less about 'Flacco' being the reason for any individual loss.

"This is my biggest issue with the Lamar group. 

They are literally making shit up. Their arguments,, for the most part, are built on a foundation that quite frankly, doesn’t exist.

And when they are start saying stuff like, no way joe wins that game, it just looks stupid.

What they hold against Joe, they use as an excuse for Lamar. The consistency is awful and a lot of the arguments are just lies."

You have points where you disagree with directly with someone, continue to tell them why you disagree. 

You think individuals have made ish up and been inconsistent? I agree, it's annoying when you see that. It's fine to call that out to any individual. 

This post is generalizing though, and just as annoying to those who have been consistent in their arguments. 

#318 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,447 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:27 PM

When you admit that some people probably have done it, you support my point, so thank you for that.

There are consistently probably 4-8 posters that fit my description and they are posting many thoughts in these threads.

I stand by what I said and it’s pretty damn obvious that what I am saying is 100% accurate.

It makes no sense to try to rationalize points with people who don’t understand logic.

FFS, we had a poster trying to come up with a theory that WR drop balls because of Joe..like that it’s his fault and when he saw that they did the same with Lamar, it’s all of a sudden because they just drop passes! Eureka! A player who has always dropped passes actually always drops passes! What a concept!

I mean, wtf is that? If that isn’t some kind of biased thinking, I don’t know what is and that thinking is all over this section now.

As for labeling everyone under one umbrella..ehh, whatever. There are more that do it than don’t and quite frankly, even those that don’t aren’t making many compelling arguments and sometimes lean towards the irrational in some of their points. So, I’m good with it. Maybe it’s fair to say the large majority but I don’t feel the need to type that every single time. If you don’t fall into the category I’m talking about, you know it and can handle things on your own merits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners