• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,640 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:42 PM

The LA Chargers are 11-3 overall, 5-2 at home. 

ESPN's match-up predictor gives the Ravens a 22% chance. 

The Chargers have won 4 in a row, and 10 of 11. 

BSL: Previewing Week 16: Ravens at Chargers

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

I think you have to be ready to go to Joe early in this game.

This is the one defense they play that has a good chance to stop Jackson and the running game.

I would guess Derwin James will be the spy on him and they have the speed up front.

Jackson will have to make a lot of plays with his arm to have a chance in this one.
@BSLRobShields

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,723 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

I’m expecting a lot of Ravens fans to be there. LAC doesn’t have a HFA to begin with and it’s even worse when a team whose fans travel well (like the Ravens) show up.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,640 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:59 PM

It's a quality Soccer Specific Stadium... still wild that an NFL team plays at a venue which holds just 30k. 

https://en.wikipedia.../StubHub_Center

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:18 PM

I’m expecting a lot of Ravens fans to be there. LAC doesn’t have a HFA to begin with and it’s even worse when a team whose fans travel well (like the Ravens) show up.

It’s the easiest road game in the league. Fans won’t be an issue. Weather likely won’t be an issue.

Lamar should feel comfortable on the road in this one.
@BSLRobShields

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:30 AM

This is the one defense they play that has a good chance to stop Jackson and the running game.

I would guess Derwin James will be the spy on him and they have the speed up front.

Jackson will have to make a lot of plays with his arm to have a chance in this one.

The counter to that is MM needs to design plays to get Jackson out of the pocket, away from a spying/blitzing James. John Brown can use his speed to beat the defender in the area James would normally be with Joe out there. Jackson just has to hit those throws.
  • TheGuru likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,640 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:29 AM

Bolts from the Blue: Los Angeles Chargers RB Melvin Gordon expected to return in week 16
https://www.boltsfro...urn-nfl-week-16

LA Sports HubLos Angeles Chargers: Three things that make LA the AFC favorites - Jason Reed

#8 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

I...don't disagree with any of that. I don't think that those moves to the outside are going to be as easy as they've been the last few games. 

Instead of trying to "prove that he can pass" like they seem to do every game, they should just start with the run from jump and dare them to stop him. 

#9 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:24 AM

Instead of trying to "prove that he can pass" like they seem to do every game, they should just start with the run from jump and dare them to stop him. 

Isn't that what we did on the first drive of the Tampa game, they knew it was coming, stuffed us twice and then we had a long 3 and out? 

What I want them to do is line up in a formation that says one thing and do another. Motion or action one way, and go the other way. Give Lamar the long side of the field on rollouts (I get so frustrated when they give him the short side and run the play-action RPO to the other...like make the weak side the far hash and if Lamar gets away you create so much more space...). 

And this doesn't all have to be passes, it can be runs. Line up like you're going to pass and then run. Bring in the jumbo package with 3 TEs and then split out Andrews and Hurst and keep Boyle in. You don't have to run out of a jumbo power full house formation every time. You can do it in a lot of ways.

The screen pass that was busted yesterday was a good example. As I recall it, everyone was bunched tight between the hashes, it was a power look with two TEs tight in the formation. Of course that screen play isn't going anywhere. Everyone is in the middle of the field when it starts to evolve there just isn't space. Now flex one of those TEs out wide and run him up the field and put the other guy on the weak side where you fake a bubble screen first and force another defender over there. And all of a sudden instead of having to beat 6 defenders in the box on a screen with 7 blockers, you have to beat 4 defenders with 5 blockers. Which one of those is going to create more space for a running lane? Or deceive the defenses more?

We can still keep the power run game in place, but a little deception of the formations of how we do it, really wouldn't be all that bad for the offense. 

• The Epic likes this

#10 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

It's a quality Soccer Specific Stadium... still wild that an NFL team plays at a venue which holds just 30k.

https://en.wikipedia.../StubHub_Center

Do they even fill it every week? Just curious. A quick look tells me no; average just north of 25k.

#11 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

Isn't that what we did on the first drive of the Tampa game, they knew it was coming, stuffed us twice and then we had a long 3 and out?

The big difference is with Joe at QB, MM would have immediately given up on the run and decided a 40+ pass game was the way to go. Your other ideas make sense to me.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

The counter to that is MM needs to design plays to get Jackson out of the pocket, away from a spying/blitzing James. John Brown can use his speed to beat the defender in the area James would normally be with Joe out there. Jackson just has to hit those throws.

LA is so fast though. Lamar is going to have to make plays from the pocket.
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:18 PM

They are fast but let's be honest they aren't faster than Lamar. Especially if he's schemed into space. 

That's what drives me the most nuts about this offense. Lamar is a guy that always seems to be running with guys all around him because the scheme is so tight to him and condensed. If they spread this all out and used more motion and naked boots, Lamar's opportunities to showcase that speed would go up a lot. 

If they run tight condensed schemes...I agree, he's going to be in trouble. 

#14 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:23 AM

Jackson might be the fastest player in the league.
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:01 AM

So?

Remember how much faster RG3 was compared to Ngata?
@BSLRobShields

#16 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

He's explosive when he gets onthe edge.

Their D may be the quickest one that he has faced thus far. However, I think he will easily be the most athletic QB they have faced as well. He'll get his yards IMO.

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

Sounds like Allen, Gordon and Ekeler will all play.
@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:49 PM

Jeff Z:

Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said that he has a pretty good understanding of Ravens run schemes because he worked with Greg Roman in Buffalo.
@BSLRobShields

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,652 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:50 PM

Dev Panchwagh:

I have a feeling the #Chargers will use Derwin James as a spy & box defender to negate Jackson’s outside rush lanes. RPO passes to the middle of the field & a healthy dose of Hayden Hurst/Mark Andrews needs to be in effect if James is less active in coverage. #Ravens #RavensFlock⁠ ⁠
@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:19 PM

So?

Remember how much faster RG3 was compared to Ngata?

Whats that have to do with anything? What does LA being a fast defense (are they much faster than other NFL defenses?) have to do with Jackson needing to make plays from the pocket?   

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners