#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

We always hear about certain pitcher/catcher combinations being better than others then it gets pointed out that the sample sizes are pretty small so don't make much out of it.

Well I think it is real. Too many pitcher/catcher combinations are quite aways outside the pitchers average. I suspect this is something the new analytics guys are going to closely look at. Same with the day/night thing. Perhaps its driven by mental aspects (like with Davis hitting against the shift) but the reality is there's something there and it doesn't matter if its actual performance related or a mind thing. The end results are what counts.

#3 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:34 PM

We always hear about certain pitcher/catcher combinations being better than others then it gets pointed out that the sample sizes are pretty small so don't make much out of it.

Well I think it is real. Too many pitcher/catcher combinations are quite aways outside the pitchers average. I suspect this is something the new analytics guys are going to closely look at. Same with the day/night thing. Perhaps its driven by mental aspects (like with Davis hitting against the shift) but the reality is there's something there and it doesn't matter if its actual performance related or a mind thing. The end results are what counts.

Then we have Chris Sale who has had multiple catchers and hasn't called off a pitch in 7 years.That said, I agree the catchers influence   is an interesting area to explore  ... as long as it's done through objective analytical processes /research and not some manager/coach spouting ad-hoc hyperbole.   

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#4 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,271 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

Bundy sounds like he has a growth mindset, Elias and Sig should like that.

@PhelanToTweet

#5 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:06 PM

Bundy sounds like he has a growth mindset, Elias and Sig should like that.

Most players are probably a lot more open to it than we think...particularly at this point. It's just a matter of fostering the right environment and eliminating the remaining forces against change ... typically, just above the player level. 

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#6 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:27 AM

Most players are probably a lot more open to it than we think...particularly at this point. It's just a matter of fostering the right environment and eliminating the remaining forces against change ... typically, just above the player level. 

Bundy will be another interesting benchmark for the new regime.  Can they squeeze more out of underachievers like Bundy than the old regime did??   

#7 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:34 AM

Bundy doing some campaigning for Caleb in the latest Roch post on needing a veteran catcher.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why the new regime would want him back or why he would want to come back.  Supposedly he has interest from multiple other teams.  Just like the other old O's from last year like Schoop, Jones, ect.  its time to move on.  Well I guess Caleb is cheap though, LOL!!!!!

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

Bundy doing some campaigning for Caleb in the latest Roch post on needing a veteran catcher.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why the new regime would want him back or why he would want to come back.  Supposedly he has interest from multiple other teams.  Just like the other old O's from last year like Schoop, Jones, ect.  its time to move on.  Well I guess Caleb is cheap though, LOL!!!!!

Moving on is correct however I see it a bit different with Caleb. We don't have a single catcher worth a shit. He's inexpensive and he knows the staff. I'd have zero problem bringing him back for the right price.

#9 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

Moving on is correct however I see it a bit different with Caleb. We don't have a single catcher worth a shit. He's inexpensive and he knows the staff. I'd have zero problem bringing him back for the right price.

Yeah the cheaper FA catcher options are pretty dreadful.  I'd only bring back Caleb on a minor league deal if he comes back at all.  And I'm pretty sure that's all the O's were offering after a non tender.  There is no way you hog up a 40man spot on him right now.  I mean really, what are you really losing if you choose Wynn's over Caleb.   Caleb is a nice guy, but he just isn't very good.

#10 russsnyder

russsnyder

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:21 PM

Yeah the cheaper FA catcher options are pretty dreadful. I'd only bring back Caleb on a minor league deal if he comes back at all. And I'm pretty sure that's all the O's were offering after a non tender. There is no way you hog up a 40man spot on him right now. I mean really, what are you really losing if you choose Wynn's over Caleb. Caleb is a nice guy, but he just isn't very good.

I agree.

Sign Joseph to minor league deal with an invite to ST if someone doesn't snap him up.

I prefer to go with Cisco and Wynns at this point. Let's see what Cisco can do and Wynns is a capable backup/ platoon partner.

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

I think it depends a LOT on what you plan for your pitching staff. If you are going to have some real young guys in the rotation then I would not want Sisco and Wynn as my two catchers. 

#12 russsnyder

russsnyder

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:57 PM

I think it depends a LOT on what you plan for your pitching staff. If you are going to have some real young guys in the rotation then I would not want Sisco and Wynn as my two catchers.

As it stands right now Cobb, Cashner, and Bundy will be in the rotation. Sure, one or more may be traded, but I bet at least two of them will be on the opening day roster. Further, the new manager may want to call pitches and location from the bench. If not,I prefer to let the younger catchers work with the younger pitchers. I am confident that an Elias
Led scouting staff will have good scouting reports for these guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners