24 replies to this topic

#21 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 707 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:49 PM

Well, I don’t know that anyone who watches them on a weekly basis believes them to be an elite defense.

When I say elite, I mean in today's NFL.  Certainly they aren't even in the same conversation as even half way decent defenses of years ago.  Nobody in the NFL is because of the rules changes.  But as for what is out there today, I would rather have a defense that bends a lot but comes up big in the clutch than one that looks really good statistically yet chokes in the pressure situations.  

#22 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,865 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

When I say elite, I mean in today's NFL. Certainly they aren't even in the same conversation as even half way decent defenses of years ago. Nobody in the NFL is because of the rules changes. But as for what is out there today, I would rather have a defense that bends a lot but comes up big in the clutch than one that looks really good statistically yet chokes in the pressure situations.

Yea but no one does that on a consistent basis either.
@BSLRobShields

#23 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 707 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:39 PM

Yea but no one does that on a consistent basis either.

You're right.  Nobody is 100% shutdown in game winning situations.  But certainly better than the Ravens D that has seen several times that last few seasons where one stop wins the game and they don't get it.  

#24 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:10 AM

You're right.  Nobody is 100% shutdown in game winning situations.  But certainly better than the Ravens D that has seen several times that last few seasons where one stop wins the game and they don't get it.  

Maybe not always but I do think some of the late game meltdowns were attributable to the defense being out on the field constantly and just being gassed by the 4th quarter.  It does take its toll.  When you have an offense that can't sustain drives and keep you fresh, that's a recipe for disaster the way the game is played today.  That's why it's been so great to see long, time consuming drives the past couple of weeks. 

#25 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

A general observation since the bye week.....I think we've simplified the blocking schemes. In the first half of the season, I feel like we were doing a ton of pulling, running TEs across the formation, etc. In looking back at the Cincy and Oakland games, it looks like we're doing much more straight up man blocking, just letting our big guys fire off the LOS and really get downhill. 

We still pull guard and center (or both) here and there but I'm just not seeing nearly as much misdirection as earlier in the season. So in addition to the Lamar Jackson effect on the running game, I think we're letting our Olinemen just get after it. Combine that with Gus Edwards and his 1 cut and go style and the impact on the running game is clear. 

With this in mind, if we can continue to control the tempo of the game, take care of the football and keep the defense fresh; perhaps we can take the air out of an offense that averages 30 points per game at home.

@primetime667083

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners