EDIT: Transfers In / Out For 2019

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

Might have more to do with the fact he never saw the field in meaningful situations.....

#62 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,008 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:56 PM

Might have more to do with the fact he never saw the field in meaningful situations.....

That too. And it's not like OSU's LB corps was anything special last season. But I would think there's still raw talent there that made him a 4-star recruit.

No idea what defensive alignment Hoke intends to run next season, but at the very least he can compete to be in the mix. I do hope that Hoke doesn't do the 3-4 alignment he reportedly used at SC. I don't think you can be successful with that at the college level unless you're pretty stacked with NFL-caliber talent, which MD obviously is not. Plus I don't think it would be the best way to utilize Antoine Brooks, who is probably the most impactful returning player they have on defense.

#63 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

That too. And it's not like OSU's LB corps was anything special last season. But I would think there's still raw talent there that made him a 4-star recruit.

No idea what defensive alignment Hoke intends to run next season, but at the very least he can compete to be in the mix. I do hope that Hoke doesn't do the 3-4 alignment he reportedly used at SC. I don't think you can be successful with that at the college level unless you're pretty stacked with NFL-caliber talent, which MD obviously is not. Plus I don't think it would be the best way to utilize Antoine Brooks, who is probably the most impactful returning player they have on defense.

The difference between the 3-4 and 4-3 has become pretty muddled over the years. Colleges (and even NFL teams) line up primarily in an Under front, so the only difference is if your weak-side end guy has his hand in the dirt or not. Durkin's defense was always a very multiple system, and the way they moved their BUCK made it look like a 3-down alignment most of the time.

Since most offenses base out of 11 personnel, defenses are basing out of their nickel. People claimed Maryland ran a 4-2-5 under Durkin, but that's not true at all. When facing 12, 13, 21, 22, or 23 personnel they'd bring in a 3rd linebacker. But they based out of a nickel, which they ran out of a 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 alignment when the offense was in 11 personnel or on passing downs. With Brooks serving as the nickel backer, he'll see plenty of the field regardless of base alignment.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,729 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

Keandre Jones (Ohio State) and Sean Savoy (Virginia Tech) officially transferring to MD. 

#65 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

Jones coming home he got tired of riding the bench at Ohio State

#66 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

Keandre Jones (Ohio State) and Sean Savoy (Virginia Tech) officially transferring to MD.

Good they can finally play now and get off the bench
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#67 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,703 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

Eyabi Anomi was a 5 start recruit (he’s a sophomore) from Alabama and he has entered the transfer portal. According to ESPN, he is seriously considering Maryland.
@BSLRobShields

#68 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

Eyabi Anomi was a 5 start recruit (he’s a sophomore) from Alabama and he has entered the transfer portal. According to ESPN, he is seriously considering Maryland.

He spent a ton of time on campus in College Park while he was at St. Frances before choosing Alabama. Locksley was a big part of his recruitment for the Crimson Tide, so no surprise the Terps would be one of the leaders for him.

Anoma was the best player in the state in high school, and the 4th-best player nationally (behind only Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and Xavier Thomas.)

@BSLZackKiesel

#69 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

Based on what I read I don't think anyone actually had any actual information about where he might end up. It seemed like they were more just connecting the dots. But MD would certainly seem an obvious choice, since it's home plus his connection with Locksley.

#70 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

Anoma has removed his name from the transfer portal. So that was fun while it lasted.

@BSLZackKiesel

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,976 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:50 PM

"Enter the portal" is a fun phrase to keep hearing.  Sounds way more exciting than just some kid switching colleges.

• Ricker Says likes this

#72 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

QB Kasim Hill has entered his name into the transfer portal, according to Don Markus (Baltimore Sun).

@BSLZackKiesel

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 114,729 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

QB Kasim Hill has entered his name into the transfer portal, according to Don Markus (Baltimore Sun).

Wow. That's surprising to me.

#74 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

Kasim just posted this to his Twitter account.

Dy6x6-OU8AAVaaF.jpg

Dy6x6-OVYAEyX9v.jpg

@BSLZackKiesel

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

Sucks that there are so many assholes out there that Kasim feels the need to make such a post. Perfectly summarized and explained. I hope he stays, regardless of if he will be healthy to start the 2019 season.

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:47 PM

Wow. That's surprising to me.

I'm actually not all that surprised that the next time Hill's on the field he may be wearing a different uniform. I am a little surprised at the timing of this move. Since he most likely won't be playing next season, I would think it would benefit him to stay in a familiar place for now and explore the transfer in a year. But maybe rehabbing under a new staff would be better for him in the long run.

#77 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Auburn OT Calvin Ashley has entered his name into the transfer portal. He's a former 5-star recruit out of St. John's in DC, and considered Maryland pretty heavily before choosing the Tigers. Have to think the Terps have a very good chance to land him.

@BSLZackKiesel

#78 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

He went to St. John's College, but he is not from the region. Reportedly it was Kasim Hill, his teammate at the time, who had him almost flipped to UM. And of course Hill is now considering transferring himself. I wouldn't get my hopes up here.

#79 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

There are issues with Ashley, if UMD does decide to go after him, hopefully they do their homework

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

I don't have a subscription to get beyond the paywall, but the first two lines that you can read without it appear to indicate that MD is still very much in the running for Josh Jackson, the VA Tech QB looking to transfer.

https://247sports.co...ross-129052877/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners