64 replies to this topic

#41 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

Reading this thread, Hyde seems like a solid choice. I think Davis would be a nice get for hitting coach. He has a pretty good reputation.

#42 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,893 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:52 AM

Rosenthal adds a couple more to the list:

“#Royals coach Pedro Grifol also among those #Orioles will interview, sources say. Grifol interviewed for #Astros bench coach job that went to Alex Cora in ‘17; hence, his connection to Elias. #DBacks farm director Mike Bell, David’s younger brother, also on O’s list, per @pgammo.”

https://twitter.com/...0081931264?s=21
  • sandiegosean likes this

#43 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:20 PM

Regardless of who they pick, they need to have a guy that knows how to get the most out of individual players, and can set a tone of player development throughout the system. Simplicity is important here. 

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

Regardless of who they pick, they need to have a guy that knows how to get the most out of individual players, and can set a tone of player development throughout the system. Simplicity is important here. 

I don't believe the next manager will have any role in terms of setting the organizational philosophy of player development. 

#45 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:29 PM

I don't believe the next manager will have any role in terms of setting the organizational philosophy of player development. 

That's the way it should be.  The major league manager should have no input on baseball operations or philosophy, that is the for the GM and his player development staff to set.

I can't wait for the old ways of doing things to be thrown completely out and for the entire organization to embrace analytics and to stress importance on things that are actually important.  

#46 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

Exactly. It needs to be a supporting role and nothing more. 

#47 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:24 AM

Then the next logical choice for hiring would be player development, then scouting, imo they should be separate.  Then you have to have a major league trainer to guide the offseason for the current players, then you bring in the new manager right before ST. 

At that point, you want an administrator that can make some on-field decisions.  

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,227 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:14 AM

Elias said on 105.7 last week, that he wanted the new manager to have a say on staffing the minor league system, for coaches managers etc.  So in part, if true, it would effect player development.

@mikeghg

#49 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

Elias said on 105.7 last week, that he wanted the new manager to have a say on staffing the minor league system, for coaches managers etc.  So in part, if true, it would effect player development.

If a "say" mean input or offering an opinion, that is fine and to be expected.  Leadership and on field decision making is also to be expected. If it means directly influencing pitching development, processes and procedures, unilaterally ignoring metrics/analytics and making major position changes etc. ...  those days should be over. As I've said before, I think the PC and to a lesser extent the Hitting Coach should be front office hires.  That said, I'm flexible based on who is actually hired and the assumption he will be a an onboard team player....unlike the last guy.. 

#50 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,893 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

Reading 'Astroball', whats Carlos Beltran up to? Seems like he would at least make a good hitting coach if not manager.

#51 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

Reading 'Astroball', whats Carlos Beltran up to? Seems like he would at least make a good hitting coach if not manager.

Haven't read it yet, but what does Carlos Beltran bring to the table as a manager? 

#52 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,893 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

Haven't read it yet, but what does Carlos Beltran bring to the table as a manager?

He came across as extremely prepared, analyzing film and being able to communicate that to his younger teammates - both hitters and pitchers. He also made a point of making sure there were no cliques and that the spanish speaking players integrated with the non-spanish speakers. Of course the book was painting him in the best possible light but he seems like a very intelligent baseball mind.
  • BSLChrisStoner, CA-ORIOLE and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#53 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:27 PM

He came across as extremely prepared, analyzing film and being able to communicate that to his younger teammates - both hitters and pitchers. He also made a point of making sure there were no cliques and then the spanish speaking players integrated with the non-spanish speakers. Of course the book was painting him in the best possible light but he seems like a very intelligent baseball mind.

Ok. Thanks Bob. 

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#54 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

Didn't the Yankees interview Beltran at one point?

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,330 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

MASN: A look at several potential Orioles managerial candidates
http://www.masnsport...candidates.html

#56 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

Hyde or Espada would work for me. Read somewhere the Orioles have pretty much settled on Witt.

#57 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,864 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

Hyde or Espada would work for me. Read somewhere the Orioles have pretty much settled on Witt.

I doubt that’s true
@BSLRobShields

#58 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

I hope the O's take a hard look at the catcher from Oregon St.  I trust Elias to make the right call between Witt and the catcher. Or if someone else pushes to the front.  Its a long time until June.

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

I doubt that’s true

No chance it's true. They very well may take him, he remains the most likely guy, but way too much can change between now and June to be settled on a pick.
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this

#60 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:37 AM

No chance it's true. They very well may take him, he remains the most likely guy, but way too much can change between now and June to be settled on a pick.

Catcher from Oregon St is ranked close to Witt now.  Probably a safer pick. Witt probably has more upside.  Be interesting to see how Elias values each.  The old regime would probably pick a pitcher ranked 6th or 7th in order to save a few bucks.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners