#22 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

He’s gone dude.

Showalter?  Yeah I know - just pointing out the irony if the Orioles hired Washington to replace him.

#23 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:11 PM

I would at least inquire about Varitek.

#24 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:07 AM

Varitek.

Varitek.

Varitek.

#25 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:26 AM

I don't think any front office would look at the W/L column of the 2019/2020 Orioles as a barometer of the manager's abilities.   It's going to be more about how that manager interacts with young players and the front office.   I think it would be an ideal opportunity for an analytics-type young manager to grow with a team.  

#26 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:47 AM

The manage selection is not un-important. Ideally I'd prefer a Maddon/Kappler type but someone who is on-board with the analytics and can progress to that level is fine. Yes, leadership and the ability to teach/develop/relate with young players is also important. We do not want another Buck Showalter type. We want people across the spectrum (coaches/scouting/managing/development etc. who are on-board and committed with analytic processes and decision making and use that information continually. 

This needs to be driven down at all levels of the organization, including individual players. No more 2 hour intro to analytics for dummies in ST followed by poo-pooing their relevance and proceeding to make ad-hoc decisions at the field level. That shit needs to end. 

#27 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,023 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:45 AM

He’s gone dude.

You don’t think he’s going to allow that horse to start waking up, do you?
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this
@BSLRobShields

#28 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

Wonder if Molitor is on Elias' list.

#29 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

Ron Washington would be interesting, just because he was the manager that took over after the Rangers fired Showalter, and he wound up in the World Series just a few years later.

Those Rangers teams got progressively better after 2007 after they cleaned up the mess Showalter left behind.

From everything I've heard/read, Buck played a significant role in building the foundation for those Rangers WS teams, just as he did in AZ and NY. Buck's problem was that he was a tyrant of a manager. He had a stack of binders filled with his rules and guidelines for playing on his team, and his players didn't care much for him.

The story I heard, was this. On his first day as manager, Bob Brenly called the team together in ST. He laid a binder on the table and said, "These were last year's rules". Then he pulled out a cocktail napkin and said, "Here's this year's rules". He read it out loud, "Be on time and get the job done". 

None of these stories match up with your assertion that Buck left behind a mess of a team. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#30 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

Wonder if Molitor is on Elias' list.

Molitor will probably accept the special advisory role the Twins offered him. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#31 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:52 AM

From everything I've heard/read, Buck played a significant role in building the foundation for those Rangers WS teams, just as he did in AZ and NY. Buck's problem was that he was a tyrant of a manager. He had a stack of binders filled with his rules and guidelines for playing on his team, and his players didn't care much for him.

The story I heard, was this. On his first day as manager, Bob Brenly called the team together in ST. He laid a binder on the table and said, "These were last year's rules". Then he pulled out a cocktail napkin and said, "Here's this year's rules". He read it out loud, "Be on time and get the job done". 

None of these stories match up with your assertion that Buck left behind a mess of a team. 

Maybe so. But there is no doubt he left a mess of a team in Baltimore.  Again, he admitted he screwed up by trying to squeeze an extra year out of a team that had died the year before.

#32 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

Riggleman out.  He was hired as Mets bench coach.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,317 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:22 AM

I'm good with whomever Elias hires.

#34 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

Am I correct in assuming that all of the Orioles Major League coaches are gone, too?

#35 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

Am I correct in assuming that all of the Orioles Major League coaches are gone, too?

Probably. I'll miss Kirby. 

• FFH likes this

#36 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

Maybe so. But there is no doubt he left a mess of a team in Baltimore.  Again, he admitted he screwed up by trying to squeeze an extra year out of a team that had died the year before.

That was not just him. 

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:55 PM

That was not just him. 

Nope, but it serves the agenda.

@mikeghg

#38 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,899 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:30 PM

Rosenthal:

“Two current bench coaches - #Nationals’ Chip Hale, #Cubs’ Brandon Hyde - among those who will interview for #Orioles’ managing job, sources tell The Athletic. Team will talk to at least six in person. Ex-manager such as Hale thought to be preference, but new GM Elias open-minded.”

https://twitter.com/...4547501056?s=21
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#39 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,346 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:02 AM

Rosenthal:

“Two current bench coaches - #Nationals’ Chip Hale, #Cubs’ Brandon Hyde - among those who will interview for #Orioles’ managing job, sources tell The Athletic. Team will talk to at least six in person. Ex-manager such as Hale thought to be preference, but new GM Elias open-minded.”

https://twitter.com/...4547501056?s=21

I'd be interested in Hyde far more than Hale.

Hyde coming from the Maddon tree, under Epstien as well.

Hale coming from Dave Martinez who isn't a good manager, and from DC where they have all the talent in the world and dick to show for it. 

Hale also with a losing record in two years managing the DBacks.

Hyde interim managed one game, so the potential is there. 

One sounds like a winner, and the other a loser.

Read that Hyde already interviewed with the Angels, Twins, and Rangers back in October.

• Dr. FLK likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

Hale did a weekly spot on MLB Network radio when he managed Arizona, and was pretty impressive. So many guys over the years were better their second time around as managers, and he's had a ton of coaching experience over the years. I wouldn't be completely dismissive. 

The Cubs had a ton of dysfunction last year, and Chili Davis & Jim Hickey have already left the coaching staff. Hopefully Hyde can get out of there too. 

I guess when you're going to lose 100 games the next few years, it really doesn't matter who the manager is, but I think I'd prefer someone with at least a little managerial experience to get this thing off the ground. 

• BSLBobPhelan, BSLMikeRandall and TheGuru like this
@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners