https://www.baltimor...xxAhS3KUZjP7Hs8

• Don Quixote likes this

#2 weird-O

weird-O

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:01 AM

For me, the most enjoyable parts of that letter, are the small moments he mentioned. Buck was here for some wonderful Orioles moments. I think, as time goes by, that I will reflect on him fondly. Because he's tied to some really good memories, memories that he helped shape, memories he helped us to have.     

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

A class act.

People get hung up on a bad decision(s), moves etc.  but IMO, this was a sincere man who really cared about the franchise, and the city.

It was time to move on, but IMO, Buck did far more good than bad for the organization.  His loyalty to the team and fans should not be forgotten.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLBobPhelan, DJ MC and 4 others like this
@mikeghg

#4 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:19 AM

Buck thinks the window of winning could have been longer. I'd be curious to see what he thought would have extended the window considering his meddling in the Chris Davis contract. Also he mentions his conduit to Peter Angelos helped get things done. But what got done is what crippled the team. Buck's interference played a big part in what limited the window with his insistence on keeping the core together.

#5 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,029 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:26 AM

Love that guy. 

what a tremendous job he did here, and i know "changing the culture" has become so cliche, but it's so true here. 

I know the usual suspects will say something negative here, but man, if you can't appreciate what he did here, i just don't know what to tell ya.

Thanks Buck!! 

• BSLRobShields, BSLBobPhelan, Mike B and 1 other like this
@beginthebegin71

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:29 AM

Buck thinks the window of winning could have been longer. I'd be curious to see what he thought would have extended the window considering his meddling in the Chris Davis contract. Also he mentions his conduit to Peter Angelos helped get things done. But what got done is what crippled the team. Buck's interference played a big part in what limited the window with his insistence on keeping the core together.

Trea, you need to learn to use, IMO.   You constantly want to place all the blame on Buck, Brady, and Angelos while completely ignoring the poor job the other guy terminated did.

I made the comment about 4 years ago, the GM was going to leave the team far worse talent wise then he found it.  I stand by that comment.  This team is sorely lacking in talent and try to deflect blame all you want, your guy was certainly a large part of the problem.

You took a classy letter, and read into it what you wanted, to absolve the GM of making a mess.

BTW, where is his letter.

• Hooded Viper and DuffMan like this
@mikeghg

#7 weird-O

weird-O

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:30 AM

Buck set aside some time to express some kind sentiments, and your reaction is to run through your litany of disgruntlement. Bad form 

• BSLBobPhelan, FFM and BSLSteveBirrer like this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the memories Buck.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,081 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

Was this really written by Buck or just dictated to somebody?  Either way, and maybe I'm just being a prick, this doesn't really resonate with me.  And I love Buck, so it's not sour grapes.  This just seems a little generic, heavy on things that everybody can say about any town ("blue collar", "fans can sense phoniness", etc).  Mostly I just hope this isn't the last we hear from Buck, I think he has a lot more thoughts and memories and insight about the time he was here that I'd be interested in hearing.  I hope this isn't his farewell for a while.  Anyways, thanks again, Buck.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

Was this really written by Buck or just dictated to somebody?  Either way, and maybe I'm just being a prick, this doesn't really resonate with me.  And I love Buck, so it's not sour grapes.  This just seems a little generic, heavy on things that everybody can say about any town ("blue collar", "fans can sense phoniness", etc).  Mostly I just hope this isn't the last we hear from Buck, I think he has a lot more thoughts and memories and insight about the time he was here that I'd be interested in hearing.  I hope this isn't his farewell for a while.  Anyways, thanks again, Buck.

The letter felt like one of Buck's pressers.   He has a tendency to go where his thoughts take him and the letter seemed to be written that way.

I think Buck eventually winds up back on TV.  He is not a young guy anymore and the fit would have to be right.   

@mikeghg

#11 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

He likes Andy MacPhail.  He likes the Angeloses.  Not a word about Dan Duquette.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

He likes Andy MacPhail.  He likes the Angeloses.  Not a word about Dan Duquette.

Buck is old school.  If you don't have something, nice to say, best to say nothing at all.

He took the high road....in Dan's only comments, he decided to take shots.

@mikeghg

#13 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:50 PM

Great guy. So glad he was our skipper.

#14 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:48 PM

Trea, you need to learn to use, IMO.   You constantly want to place all the blame on Buck, Brady, and Angelos while completely ignoring the poor job the other guy terminated did.

I made the comment about 4 years ago, the GM was going to leave the team far worse talent wise then he found it.  I stand by that comment.  This team is sorely lacking in talent and try to deflect blame all you want, your guy was certainly a large part of the problem.

You took a classy letter, and read into it what you wanted, to absolve the GM of making a mess.

BTW, where is his letter.

I would argue the system is better than when Duquette took it over depth wise and the Orioles are getting more talent from each draft each year at all rounds.  The system was top heavy in 2012 but lacked depth. 

Just look at the top 20 list in 2012:

https://www.minorlea...spects-for-2012

You have the big names at the top and not much left below and that's after having 4 years of top draft picks in each round under MacPhail.

Rajsich was one of the best executive hires in the Angelos era, and that's a credit to Duquette.

#15 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:00 PM

Buck set aside some time to express some kind sentiments, and your reaction is to run through your litany of disgruntlement. Bad form 

Sorry, I would rather analyze the thoughts of Showalter than swoon over his greatness.

In his letter he talks about thinking the window could have stayed open longer and mentions his direct contact with Peter Angelos causing things that he wanted to get done.

That's worthy of discussion.

Showalter's contact with Angelos hurt the team more than it helped IMO and he's touting it as a good thing.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

I would argue the system is better than when Duquette took it over depth wise and the Orioles are getting more talent from each draft each year at all rounds.  The system was top heavy in 2012 but lacked depth. 

Just look at the top 20 list in 2012:

https://www.minorlea...spects-for-2012

You have the big names at the top and not much left below and that's after having 4 years of top draft picks in each round under MacPhail.

Rajsich was one of the best executive hires in the Angelos era, and that's a credit to Duquette.

Your right.

Dan left the organization brimming with talent.  We may go undefeated in 2020.

@mikeghg

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:31 PM

Your right.

Dan left the organization brimming with talent.  We may go undefeated in 2020.

Bwhahaha.....the real botttom line is that the last several years both Buck and DD made there share of bad moves. They both needed to be moved out and its time to start anew.

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

When Buck said...

"The test of time is five or six years in today’s game. It could have been more, but that’s the subject for another day."

...those were his parting words on Duquette. Of course, Buck owns a share of that himself.

#19 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, it's clearly a diss at Duquette and a deflection form his own interference, obstinance and incompetence that contributed to the downfall. Sorry to rain on the parade as well. I guess I'm also a prick. In addition to some of the things that have been pointed out the "I and the players" focus stands out to me. I will personally be thrilled to not hear another word from him again, but I suspect we'll here more about him as others in the organization leave (not just Duquette). Not a guy I'd want in my organization. Not a team player. Thanks for the thought, but good riddance imo. 

As far as him liking the city and the people of Baltimore, fine, I'm sure he's sincere about that. 

#20 FFM

FFM

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:31 AM

I missed Buck before he was fired. 

People make bad decisions, but this guy knows baseball.  Period. 

Good luck to him. 

• Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners