#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

BSL: https://www.baltimor...d-winning-edge/

We can all learn a little something from Bill Walsh, right? Stuck in a situation where the team is spinning it's wheels. Wondering if the quarterback who brought glory to his team still had it. Dealing with a big time quarterback controversy. How did Bill Walsh handle it all and turn those negatives into positives. What can the Raven's learn from it?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 mdrunning

mdrunning

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:57 PM

I think what the Ravens can learn is they're not as good as the 1988 49ers.

• BSLMikeRandall and cprenegade like this

#3 cprenegade

cprenegade

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 707 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

Not to mention that Lamar Jackson is not, and will never be, Steve Young by about 20 light years!

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Not to mention that Lamar Jackson is not, and will never be, Steve Young by about 20 light years!

Different styles for sure. But in this ever changing game, you never know. Steve Young was never going to be Joe Montana. Stuck in his shadow for six seasons, even when Montana was hurt he couldn't get the respect of the home crowd. Young turned out to be really damn good. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

I think what the Ravens can learn is they're not as good as the 1988 49ers.

Definitely not. No one is. Or the 84' Niners for that matter. But you can learn from them. It'd be dumb not to look at the most successful teams and see what they did and if you can apply it to yourselves. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:42 AM

Bump. Mind you, I wrote this before the Flacco injury was reported. Mentioned in another thread that the Bengals struggled against mobile QBs this year and maybe Jackson should get a look with Flacco struggling and getting owned by Cincy more often than not.

So Jackson got a W and the offense was super efficient. If Flacco is healthy this week or next, is there a QB controversy? How many games does Jackson have to play well in to keep Flacco to the bench when he is 100%?

Old school guys will usually say a veteran would not and should not lose their job because of injury. But Dak Prescott basically retired Tony Romo. Kaepernick never let Alex Smith back in San Fran. Think he even ran for 180 yards in a game. And they said he’d have to change his game to have success. He took em to a Super Bowl that year.

I digress.

Should they take the Walsh approach and ride the hot hand when Flacco is healthy? If Jackson shows well against Oakland, does he automatically start in Atlanta even if Joe is healthy? With Joe at the ready of course if Jackson comes out poor looking in that game.
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:30 AM

Everyone keeps saying that Jackson has to throw more but he did have 19 attempts and if he had thrown just 6 more times, he'd have 25, which I think is fine.  I'd rather see this team run the ball more than pass it.  Even with Flacco behind center, they need to do this if they have any chance of making the play-offs.  So, for the people thinking that Jackson has to spray the field with 40+ attempts before they'll accept him as the starting quarterback, they have no interest in winning games.  Even when they got behind 21-13 to the Bengals, the Ravens kept pounding the ball on the ground and Jackson even showed off a surprisingly strong arm with some bullet completions at key moments.  I think I could do without him throwing sidearm but overall, I had no problem with his passing or lack of it. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners