Photo

Balt Sun: Source: Orioles have interviewed seven candidates in first phase of search to replace Duquette

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 102,206 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

Balt Sun: Source: Orioles have interviewed seven candidates in first phase of search to replace Dan Duquette

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 102,206 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

"The list of candidates has largely been kept quiet, though former Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington, former Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, Oakland Athletics assistant general manager Dan Kantrovitz and Houston Astros assistant general manager Mike Elias are among those who have been or will be contacted, according to the source. But it’s unclear whether some candidates the Orioles have contacted remain in the process.

The source said the team doesn’t currently plan to interview Major League Baseball executive Kim Ng, though there's still a chance for her to be included.

The fact that the team hasn't moved on to the second phase of the process means some current executives from the World Series teams might still be brought in for interviews. The Red Sox and Dodgers are led by Dave Dombrowski and Andrew Friedman, respectively, but the opportunity for advancement could entice any number of candidates below them.The Red Sox have four senior vice presidents below Dombrowski on the baseball side: Allard Baird, Eddie Romero, Brian O'Halloran and former Orioles general manager Frank Wren. The Red Sox also have vice president of player development Ben Crockett. With the Dodgers, general manager Farhan Zaidi oversees a sizable staff under Friedman, with senior vice president Josh Byrnes the most notable because of his general manager experience.

So, the source said it’s possible the Orioles have a new leader in place by mid-November."

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

Who they interview or who they want to interview is largely unimportant.

It is marketing fodder for the gullible.

What IS important is their approach to running the Organization into the future because that will directly impact the opportunities of whatever list is created.

If the Orioles don't change the way they do business, who they hire will be interesting but largely inconsequential.

No indications anything will change.  Many indications things are the same.

• BSLRobShields likes this

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 102,206 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:54 PM

Who they interview or who they want to interview is largely unimportant.

It is marketing fodder for the gullible.

What IS important is their approach to running the Organization into the future because that will directly impact the opportunities of whatever list is created.

If the Orioles don't change the way they do business, who they hire will be interesting but largely inconsequential.

No indications anything will change.  Many indications things are the same.

I don't completely agree.

Who they want to interview, and who they interview only has so much importance.... but it has some importance.

Who they target for interviews tell us something.
Who they actually interview informs their process, and will impact their decision making...

Those things matter.

Do they matter as much as their overall approach, and how they operate? No, I agree they do not.

#5 FFM

FFM

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

It's good that they put this out there. 

Really, this team needs to move forward with an idea of what its personality will be, and the fanbase deserves that, considering the ups and downs that it has been through, and the money the state and the city have invested in this team. 

One thing that really needs to go away, however, is the meddling.  Mentalities like the one that keeps Brady in decision-making would undermine any attempts to take the team in a different direction. 

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:02 PM

I don't completely agree.

Who they want to interview, and who they interview only has so much importance.... but it has some importance.

Who they target for interviews tell us something.
Who they actually interview informs their process, and will impact their decision making...

Those things matter.

Do they matter as much as their overall approach, and how they operate? No, I agree they do not.

You hold out hope that John and Lou represent something different than before.

I'd suggest they're the reasons we are where we are and they have no interest in changing.

Names are message board and media fodder like all of the absurd leaks on the mid-season trades or "involvement" on players you have no intention (or willingness) to sign. 

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

Mentalities like the one that keeps Brady in decision-making would undermine any attempts to take the team in a different direction. 

I'll tie this to your post, but it's a larger point that truely confounds 99% of the opinions here.

The assumption that nearly everyone makes is that the priorities of the Angelos family are aligned with their own priorities.

The reason that so many people are confounded by what is going on is they lack the actual perspective of the situation.

They are moving the team in the EXACT direction that they want to. 

It's not just the direction you (and basically everyone) wants.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 102,206 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

Well... if they hire a Cherington, or Elias...  I'm going to be more excited than if they hire Colletti...   

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

Well... if they hire a Cherington, or Elias...  I'm going to be more excited than if they hire Colletti...   

Well sure and all we have to do is sign Harper and trade for Trout to compete this season.

I'll put Cherington accepting the job as the same odds of them interviewing me. 

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 102,206 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

Well sure and all we have to do is sign Harper and trade for Trout to compete this season.

I'll put Cherington accepting the job as the same odds of them interviewing me. 

Equating adding Cherington (or a number of the other quality existing options) as the same as adding Harper and Trout is just silly imo.

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

Equating adding Cherington (or a number of the other quality existing options) as the same as adding Harper and Trout is just silly imo.

...because you think John and Lou Angelos are committed to prioritizing winning and getting the best candidate and allowing him to actually run this Organization?

Do you really think any high profile candidate shows up without understanding or having researched the potential challenges the ownership team represents?

....all they have to do is ask about Brady Anderson's role and when they are told, "...we really value what Brady has done inside the Organization and we expect him  to be a valuable asset to our next President of Baseball Operations..."

The only people that say OK at that point are the candidates that don't see themselves as getting opportunity in the next 3-4 years.

#12 FFM

FFM

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:39 PM

I'll tie this to your post, but it's a larger point that truely confounds 99% of the opinions here.

The assumption that nearly everyone makes is that the priorities of the Angelos family are aligned with their own priorities.

The reason that so many people are confounded by what is going on is they lack the actual perspective of the situation.

They are moving the team in the EXACT direction that they want to. 

It's not just the direction you (and basically everyone) wants.

So, what is this insight that you have into their dealings that no one else has? 

As far as the direction - there is no direction right now. 

They are grab bagging hoping someone will take their offer, and at the end of the day it's hard to tell what they really want for the team. 

Angelos just wanted to make money off the team and maintain his feifdom. In the last few years, the team became an exercise in ego. 

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 102,206 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

...because you think John and Lou Angelos are committed to prioritizing winning and getting the best candidate and allowing him to actually run this Organization?

Do you really think any high profile candidate shows up without understanding or having researched the potential challenges the ownership team represents?

....all they have to do is ask about Brady Anderson's role and when they are told, "...we really value what Brady has done inside the Organization and we expect him  to be a valuable asset to our next President of Baseball Operations..."

The only people that say OK at that point are the candidates that don't see themselves as getting opportunity in the next 3-4 years.

Because Harper & Trout are unobtainable for the Orioles, while numerous quality FO types are not.

• FFM likes this

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

Because Harper & Trout are unobtainable for the Orioles, while numerous quality FO types are not.

You think there's actually a difference there.  I'd suggest there isn't.  

The next time this Ownership group proves me wrong will be the first time they've proven me wrong.

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

So, what is this insight that you have into their dealings that no one else has? 

I started to answer this, but decided not to.

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

As far as the direction - there is no direction right now. 

They are grab bagging hoping someone will take their offer, and at the end of the day it's hard to tell what they really want for the team. 

Angelos just wanted to make money off the team and maintain his feifdom. In the last few years, the team became an exercise in ego. 

I don't understand why you suggest they haven't picked a direction.  They certainly have.

They aren't just grab bagging for someone.  They specifically want someone that will be the public face to the Organization and allow them to do what they want to do behind the scenes.  My guess is they'll be comfortable handing off the Analytics, Scouting, Development pieces as part of the approach.  It's something they have no idea how to do and they understand (Brady) it's important to their perception management.

Disagree Money is the driver.  If Money was the driver, wow are they failing.  I could make them a lot more money if that's all they wanted.  Rebuilding is going to cost them way more revenue (and likely have longer-term consequences) than they could save short-term.  Don't get me wrong, they are making plenty of money...but they are minimizing a lot of their opportunities with their approach.

#17 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

From what I have read, the Bros are really drilling down on the analytics and departmental composition of assembling a successful franchise so you have to give them credit for being thorough in that regard. You just hope they get the right people in here.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,081 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:02 PM

From what I have read, the Bros are really drilling down on the analytics and departmental composition of assembling a successful franchise so you have to give them credit for being thorough in that regard. You just hope they get the right people in here.

Having the right people is irrelevant unless they are given free reign to operate.

#19 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:37 PM

https://twitter.com/...614828321374208

https://twitter.com/...619499807129601

New information from Sherman, adding Ned Rice to the mix of candidates.  He was my preferred choice had they kept Duquette as the President of Baseball Operations.  Still think he would make a good GM.

As for the "thoroughness" part - there's still plenty that needs to get done this offseason and they need to hire a competent manager and field staff, so they can't take forever.

It sounds like they aren't going to hire a team president at this point.

#20 Crouseman

Crouseman

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

https://twitter.com/...614828321374208

https://twitter.com/...619499807129601

New information from Sherman, adding Ned Rice to the mix of candidates.  He was my preferred choice had they kept Duquette as the President of Baseball Operations.  Still think he would make a good GM.

As for the "thoroughness" part - there's still plenty that needs to get done this offseason and they need to hire a competent manager and field staff, so they can't take forever.

It sounds like they aren't going to hire a team president at this point.

Sounds like the team prez hiring was a pipe dream.  Who hires a GM before a team prez?  Idiots.  Making sure Brady's role isn't minimized. me thinks.  This team is just a train wreck.  brady moving closer to that de facto team prez role even without the title. I can see right through the Bros ruse.   Whoopy!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners