#421 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,490 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:59 PM

Nah, make the move tomorrow. Make a statement that this isn't acceptable for for the Ravens org.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#422 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:20 PM

Here's the thing.

Its possible but unlikely the Ravens make the playoffs.  Maybe 9-7 gets them in but I tend to think 10-6 will be needed this year.

LA is about to win an impressive game and they are staying with KC. Almost definite both of them are in.

Pitt and NE will win their divisions.  One spot for 2-4 teams.

HOWEVER, if you know that Harbs is gone after this year(if you don't make the playoffs), why not make the move now?  Is keeping him around going to make a difference for the team?  

#423 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:17 PM

If you are even thinking if someone should be fired, they should be fired. If Steve is even wondering whether he should do it, he should do it.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#424 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:15 PM

I just don't think it makes any sense to fire him now.  The playoffs look unlikely, but outside of the Chargers/KC div loser, the second WC might only take 9-7.  Nobody from the East or South looks like a contender for it unless someone goes on a run.  After LA/KC, Denver and Oak are out of it.  That leaves only Cincinnati ahead of the Ravens.  They might very well be 5-4 when they come here in two weeks.  Win that game and both teams are 5-5.  At that point the Ravens are still in the mix.  It is probably going to require winning at least 1 of the 3 road games but at least it's a shot. I think you gotta let it play out and see what happens.  If it doesn't work out, then you make the decision at the end of the season and move forward.  

#425 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:50 PM

It makes sense to fire Marty.

I don’t think you have to fire Harbaugh but I wouldn’t be upset if they did.

The thing is, it’s not like you have someone on your staff you want to be your next head coach.

I think you fire Marty and put Roman in.

#426 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,885 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:58 PM

Don't think you can fire Marty given how vocal Joe has been supporting him.

Also don't think you can fire another Coordinator, and not fire Harbaugh. 

Either ride with the staff the rest of the way, or clean house completely now.

#427 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

Who cares if Joe likes him? It’s not working and it hasn’t worked.

You can certainly fire Marty and keep harbaugh..you did it with Cameron and he was more successful than Harbaugh.

They are both likely gone in 8 weeks or so anyway.

You want to save this season? It HAS to be with the running game. You can’t save the running game with MM calling the plays.

#428 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,885 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

Who cares if Joe likes him? It’s not working and it hasn’t worked.

You can certainly fire Marty and keep harbaugh..you did it with Cameron and he was more successful than Harbaugh.

They are both likely gone in 8 weeks or so anyway.

You want to save this season? It HAS to be with the running game. You can’t save the running game with MM calling the plays.

You wanted to fire Cameron. You wanted to fire Trestman.  You didn't like Caldwell. 
Now you want to fire Marty.

How many OC's can you run through?  Maybe it's less the scheme(s) and more the players running the plays (and the fact that the roster has been built with a defensive tilt).  Harbaugh staying, while another OC is run out, just seems a bit much for me.

If this is Flacco's last year, and Flacco likes working with Marty...   I don't see the sense in making a change. 

This could also possibly be Harbaugh's last year...  if it is, the new HC will likely make a change at Coordinator for '19.

Do we need to have a new Coordinator for the last 7 games of '18, and another change for '19?

OTOH, yeah... it worked with Caldwell... so whatever I guess.  If they aren't parting with Harbaugh now, and there is a feeling they need to make a change... okay.

Agreed they have to run the ball more. 
Agreed Joe needs that for play action, and the offense needs to be able to run period.

#429 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

Players aren’t great but there is only one way to win with Joe as the QB.

You have to be a successful running team to run it.

I am for any coordinator who knows that and calls the game that way.

Ultimately, it’s always the players but you can’t fire the players. What you can do is put them in the best position to win. If you think MM does that, I don’t know what to tell you. It is a fact that they can’t win the way he wants to call an offense. It is proven literally all the time
And yet, they continue to try.

That’s stupid.

And that’s the reason you make the change. You don’t go down with the ship because they only have so many games left. That makes no sense. That is giving up on the season.

If you believe in the team, you make the change.

Again, it’s literally the only way you can win.

#430 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,885 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:40 PM

Players aren’t great but there is only one way to win with Joe as the QB.

You have to be a successful running team to run it.

I am for any coordinator who knows that and calls the game that way.

Ultimately, it’s always the players but you can’t fire the players. What you can do is put them in the best position to win. If you think MM does that, I don’t know what to tell you. It is a fact that they can’t win the way he wants to call an offense. It is proven literally all the time
And yet, they continue to try.

That’s stupid.

And that’s the reason you make the change. You don’t go down with the ship because they only have so many games left. That makes no sense. That is giving up on the season.

If you believe in the team, you make the change.

Again, it’s literally the only way you can win.

If Harbaugh is staying, just mandate that you run the ball more. 

Hell, just have Flacco...  the guy in his 11th season call his own plays.  

(Of course Joe would be happy to avoid balance and just throw, throw, throw... but at-least he'd be responsible for the decisions made.)

I do agree, you have to run the ball more, and run effectively for this team to have any chance.
I do agree, that MM doesn't run enough.

But given everything else (Possibly Harbaugh's last year, possibly Flacco's last year, Jackson waiting in the wings, Joe being enthusiastic about MM, a history of a revolving door at OC); I'm lukewarm about making the change.

Not a MM fan, so... whatever I guess....  just ultimately don't think I want to see another Coordinator lose their job, and Harbaugh not.

#431 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

That may seal the Ravens fate.  They aren't winning 2 out of 3 on the road against KC, Atlanta, and LA.  

I said the same thing last week. 

#432 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:35 AM

Don't think you can fire Marty given how vocal Joe has been supporting him.
Also don't think you can fire another Coordinator, and not fire Harbaugh.
Either ride with the staff the rest of the way, or clean house completely now.

Joe likes MM because he lets him throw 40 plus times a game. It’s time to get a real OC in here who is dedicated to running the ball and balancing the offense.

He should be fired for that alone.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#433 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:47 AM

I said the same thing last week.

Actually, you said something to the effect that it’s absurd to think they can do that’s. That’s a dumb statement.

That’s a lot different than saying, I don’t think they will win 2 of those games.

#434 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

If Harbaugh is staying, just mandate that you run the ball more.

Hell, just have Flacco... the guy in his 11th season call his own plays.

(Of course Joe would be happy to avoid balance and just throw, throw, throw... but at-least he'd be responsible for the decisions made.)

I do agree, you have to run the ball more, and run effectively for this team to have any chance.
I do agree, that MM doesn't run enough.

But given everything else (Possibly Harbaugh's last year, possibly Flacco's last year, Jackson waiting in the wings, Joe being enthusiastic about MM, a history of a revolving door at OC); I'm lukewarm about making the change.

Not a MM fan, so... whatever I guess.... just ultimately don't think I want to see another Coordinator lose their job, and Harbaugh not.

I just don’t see why any of that matters in terms of keeping MM. in fact, I think it’s the opposite.

This team is doing everything they can to get back to the playoffs this year. That’s not likely to happen with MM. if your goal is all about the playoffs, you do what it takes to get there. Is Joe going to sulk because MM is gone? Is he going to be a worse QB because of it? Is Harbaugh going to sulk and be a worse coach?

And the mandating of them running the ball more isn’t going to work.

Yesterday, Collins had 9 carries for 35 yards but one of those was a 1 yard TD run. So, 8 for 34. That’s 4.3 ypc..that’s not bad but if you keep pounding the ball
And where them down, maybe that goes up more.

The goal every game should be to give Collins 18-25 carries...sprinkle in Allen/Edwards and Lamar and you get 25-30 carries a game.

#435 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

Actually, you said something to the effect that it’s absurd to think they can do that’s. That’s a dumb statement.

That’s a lot different than saying, I don’t think they will win 2 of those games.

I still don't think they will. Nothing has changed since I said that. The only two games they may win the rest of the year will likely be Oak and maybe Clev. Any other game will be a bonus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users